Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 13

post #181 of 3200

Jason, trust me on this, coming from me, pretty good is someone else's bloody fantastic ;) I'm what you might call hard to please and I don't pull punches.  And to be fair, I did back it up by saying its higher bias than the typically $1500+ DIY B22 :p  I'd say that's good company to be considered better than, no?

post #182 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solude View Post

Jason, trust me on this, coming from me, pretty good is someone else's bloody fantastic ;) I'm what you might call hard to please and I don't pull punches.  And to be fair, I did back it up by saying its higher bias than the typically $1500+ DIY B22 :p  I'd say that's good company to be considered better than, no?

 

Understood, and apologies for sounding a bit, well, off-kilter.

 

But it's amazing how people take things out of context. "Pretty good," implies there are some balanced circlotron power amps with 8W of power and, say, 6W of Class-A bias. When in reality, there's not much in the balanced amp realm at all under $1K, period.


Edited by Jason Stoddard - 7/17/12 at 2:52pm
post #183 of 3200

THats pretty impressive, cant wait to hear impressions of this with the HE-6s, which seem to be the target for it. Though everyone seems to thing at least 10 watts at 50 ohms os necessary for them...but then again the first couple watts people are using out of the speaker amps dont have distortion numbers like this does, so we shall wait and see.

 

Jason, is the Statement amp going to be even more powerful? or just an even better circlotron with similar numbers?

post #184 of 3200

Should add that if I wasn't knee deep in the AMB B22, Apex Peak and Burson Soloist reviews, not to mention my LCD-3 and Senn HD800, assuming the bloody thing stops bouncing from coast to coast, review... I'd be on the pre-order ;)

 

I am giddy about getting my hands on one.  But there are limits to how much gear my wife err desk can take before it starts to bow :D

 

On business model... I think its fantastic.  Too many boutique manufacturers sell good amps in terrible enclosures or using the most economical parts that'll pass for 'audiophile' and crank the price because of name recognition.

post #185 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

THats pretty impressive, cant wait to hear impressions of this with the HE-6s, which seem to be the target for it. Though everyone seems to thing at least 10 watts at 50 ohms os necessary for them...but then again the first couple watts people are using out of the speaker amps dont have distortion numbers like this does, so we shall wait and see.

 

Jason, is the Statement amp going to be even more powerful? or just an even better circlotron with similar numbers?

 

It's still a circlotron, but higher power and a different design approach, allowing for either a solid state or tube gain stage, both with MOSFET outputs. However, this amp is plenty for the HE-6s. And if we're comparing to integrated amps and receivers with 15mA Class-A bias (typical numbers) . . . well, there you go.

post #186 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

 

It's still a circlotron, but higher power and a different design approach, allowing for either a solid state or tube gain stage, both with MOSFET outputs. However, this amp is plenty for the HE-6s. And if we're comparing to integrated amps and receivers with 15mA Class-A bias (typical numbers) . . . well, there you go.

 

Haha thanks for that Jason beerchug.gif

 

like i said, cant wait to hear it.

post #187 of 3200

Com'on bottom panels!

post #188 of 3200

The more I hear about the Mjolnir the more I want one. Maybe I'll sell my Lyr and pick up a used Mjolnir when they've been out for a bit. I think my GF would let me get away with that.


Edited by Rebel975 - 7/17/12 at 5:07pm
post #189 of 3200

+1 I love your honest perception, keep up the great work in the "Schiit Shop" :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Stoddard View Post

 

Faint praise. It's higher bias than the 300W Stereophile Recommended Components (B-Class) speaker amps I used to design.

 

Name me something else near the price anywhere near that level. There's nothing out there. Name me something else near the price with a circlotron-style topology. There's nothing out there. Mjolnir doesn't have to apologize to anyone. When I said all of our new products would be "one and only," that's exactly what I meant. 

 

Sorry to sound a little testy, we have to re-set perceptions. We don't operate on a "what can you sell it for, with plenty of margins for dealers thrown in" basis. We operate on a "what can we build it for in the USA while paying our people a decent wage, and what's the lowest price we can sell it for and still run a stable, long-term business with great customer service," basis. We're not traditional boutique audio, and we're not DIY. 

 

Of course, it could still sound like crap. But I'm pretty confident that's not what the reviews will say.

post #190 of 3200

HE-6 doesn't really need 10 Watts. 5W is good enough. Hifiman's own EF6 amp, which was designed specifically to drive HE-6, also outputs 5W into 50ohms. What's more important for orthoes is high current output. 

post #191 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

HE-6 doesn't really need 10 Watts. 5W is good enough. Hifiman's own EF6 amp, which was designed specifically to drive HE-6, also outputs 5W into 50ohms. What's more important for orthoes is high current output. 

 

Agreed, I've been following the HE6 since the initial pre-order phase of their existence when I acquired mine, and 5W is fine as long as it's got adequate current. I'm driving them with 7W @ 50 ohm.

post #192 of 3200

You could add custom anodized colors, then the top and bottom would match.

post #193 of 3200
It's interesting to get the perspective of a producer....mostly because I aspire to make things some day. The stresses on that end..well, weird to imagine. I shudder to think of the massive karma repayment I'm going to get.

/self indulgent introspection
post #194 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by blankdisc View Post

HE-6 doesn't really need 10 Watts. 5W is good enough. Hifiman's own EF6 amp, which was designed specifically to drive HE-6, also outputs 5W into 50ohms. What's more important for orthoes is high current output. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit View Post

Agreed, I've been following the HE6 since the initial pre-order phase of their existence when I acquired mine, and 5W is fine as long as it's got adequate current. I'm driving them with 7W @ 50 ohm.

So how much current does it need?
post #195 of 3200

Lets not confuse class A bias with current cap ;)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier