Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 101

post #1501 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Sup View Post


Do they sell amps with noise? Who would buy that. I'd think no noise on any level is logical.

 

Temperature stability, not sound.  No noise of any kind.

post #1502 of 3241

OT in another tread - so copied here where it belongs:

 

 

The Soloist is less fun than the Mjolnir. I could fall asleep listening to the Soloist with some good music playing (i.e. a good thing actually). I would really strive to get some sleep using the Mjolnir. 

 

Having switched back and forth between the Soloist and the Mjolnir (using the LCD-3 and DAC V800), the difference in the amplifiers sound signature is significant. I would dare to say that the Soloist is "boring" and the Mjolnir is "engaging". And in addition, the Soloist is de facto tuned a tad more bright than the Mjolnir. That does not mean the Soloist is bright.

 

The soundstage depth of the Mjolnir is less than the Soloist. The width not that different - if you listen carefully. The "lack" of depth of the Mjolnir tends to impose the impression that the Mjolnir sounds wider...

 

Disclaimer: Long time listening impressions. wink_face.gif

post #1503 of 3241

It is continually interesting to see how different amps affect people.The quest for "Your" perfect fit is a big part of the fun.

post #1504 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loevhagen View Post

OT in another tread - so copied here where it belongs:

 

 

The Soloist is less fun than the Mjolnir. I could fall asleep listening to the Soloist with some good music playing (i.e. a good thing actually). I would really strive to get some sleep using the Mjolnir. 

 

Having switched back and forth between the Soloist and the Mjolnir (using the LCD-3 and DAC V800), the difference in the amplifiers sound signature is significant. I would dare to say that the Soloist is "boring" and the Mjolnir is "engaging". And in addition, the Soloist is de facto tuned a tad more bright than the Mjolnir. That does not mean the Soloist is bright.

 

The soundstage depth of the Mjolnir is less than the Soloist. The width not that different - if you listen carefully. The "lack" of depth of the Mjolnir tends to impose the impression that the Mjolnir sounds wider...

 

Disclaimer: Long time listening impressions. wink_face.gif

 

 

Interesting thoughts. I was hoping the somewhat brighter sound of my Soloist would cool off over time through burn on. Been running the amp for awhile now. It is a little bright, but I find it enjoyable, and smooth even with a pair of T1s. The Mjolnir is such an aggressive sound, just about anything would sound dull next to it. 

post #1505 of 3241

The "bright" sound of your Soloist won't cool off over time. Sorry. 

post #1506 of 3241

You might tune it a tad by using another source - maybe. 

post #1507 of 3241

I thought at first the HE6 pairing was a bit better than the HD800 although both sounded excellent the HE6 was a tiny bit better. However today I decided to stop being lazy and change the HD800 pads to a new one since the old ones I had were really old, had some color fading and the black was flaking off a bit. I changed the pads to the new ones and at the same time removed the Anaxilus mod and the HD800 pairing sounds even better. I don't know which one is the reason but it's probably a combination of the two. I never felt there was an issue with the HD800 but tried the mod anyway and it doesn't make a huge difference to me really.

 

With both the HE6 and HD800 it really is hard to choose one. I'm leaning towards keeping them both but right now they sound very good. 

post #1508 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawrster View Post

I thought at first the HE6 pairing was a bit better than the HD800 although both sounded excellent the HE6 was a tiny bit better. However today I decided to stop being lazy and change the HD800 pads to a new one since the old ones I had were really old, had some color fading and the black was flaking off a bit. I changed the pads to the new ones and at the same time removed the Anaxilus mod and the HD800 pairing sounds even better. I don't know which one is the reason but it's probably a combination of the two. I never felt there was an issue with the HD800 but tried the mod anyway and it doesn't make a huge difference to me really.

 

With both the HE6 and HD800 it really is hard to choose one. I'm leaning towards keeping them both but right now they sound very good. 

 

So i take it you find the D2 and the Mjolnir to be a good pairing?

post #1509 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post

 

So i take it you find the D2 and the Mjolnir to be a good pairing?

I have the D1 and I find it to be a good pairing. I have never heard the D2 however.

 

I think as long as there's a high quality dac with not much coloration it should pair well with any amp depending on preferences.


Edited by rawrster - 10/14/12 at 7:33am
post #1510 of 3241

Stupid question, but can you hook the mjolnir up directly to my macbook pro without a DAC temporarily somehow? I plan on getting a Gungir but can't pull one right now, OR would getting the Gungnir first make more sense? The LCD3s drained me a bit lol.

post #1511 of 3241
I guess it's technically possible to use a 1/8 to RCA splitter, but ... don't.
post #1512 of 3241

No offense, but I don't understand why you'd get an LCD3 if you have a limited budget, and no DAC or amp to drive it with. What was your thought process when you decided to buy the 3s over the 2s? Just super curious. I personally would've got the LCD2 and the Gungnir/Mjolnir because I honestly could not justify the improvements in the LCD3 to be worth an additional $1000. If you have enough to buy a Mjolnir OR a Gungnir, then you could've just got both and an LCD2, eh? Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadralSx View Post

Stupid question, but can you hook the mjolnir up directly to my macbook pro without a DAC temporarily somehow? I plan on getting a Gungir but can't pull one right now, OR would getting the Gungnir first make more sense? The LCD3s drained me a bit lol.


Edited by Girls Generation - 10/14/12 at 10:49pm
post #1513 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

No offense, but I don't understand why you'd get an LCD3 if you have a limited budget, and no DAC or amp to drive it with. What was your thought process when you decided to buy the 3s over the 2s? Just super curious. I personally would've got the LCD2 and the Gungnir/Mjolnir because I honestly could not justify the improvements in the LCD3 to be worth an additional $1000. If you have enough to buy a Mjolnir OR a Gungnir, then you could've just got both and an LCD2, eh? Oh well.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls Generation View Post

No offense, but I don't understand why you'd get an LCD3 if you have a limited budget, and no DAC or amp to drive it with. What was your thought process when you decided to buy the 3s over the 2s? Just super curious. I personally would've got the LCD2 and the Gungnir/Mjolnir because I honestly could not justify the improvements in the LCD3 to be worth an additional $1000. If you have enough to buy a Mjolnir OR a Gungnir, then you could've just got both and an LCD2, eh? Oh well.

 

The process of avoiding the "upgrade" alot of ppl seem to do from the lcd2 to lcd3, the fact that I haven't heard the LCD2s, and the way I see it, why not get the upgraded headphone rather than the amp, that's the more substantial upgrade TO ME. I have enough to buy the mjol or gug RIGHT NOW. That doesn't mean 2 weeks from now I won't be buying the other. Im going to buy 1 now and I want to use it til I get the other, what is wrong with that? I don't know why someone needs an unlimited budget to buy some headphones. Maybe you say that, because ppl often pair the LCD3s with expensive 3k amps, which of the ones I've seen, look horrible to be honest. I'd find it very hard to spend 3k on something that has 0 aesthetic appeal to me.

post #1514 of 3241
Mjolnir and Gungnir is a solid choice (semi pun intended).
post #1515 of 3241
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadralSx View Post

 

 

 

The process of avoiding the "upgrade" alot of ppl seem to do from the lcd2 to lcd3, the fact that I haven't heard the LCD2s, and the way I see it, why not get the upgraded headphone rather than the amp, that's the more substantial upgrade TO ME. I have enough to buy the mjol or gug RIGHT NOW. That doesn't mean 2 weeks from now I won't be buying the other. Im going to buy 1 now and I want to use it til I get the other, what is wrong with that? I don't know why someone needs an unlimited budget to buy some headphones. Maybe you say that, because ppl often pair the LCD3s with expensive 3k amps, which of the ones I've seen, look horrible to be honest. I'd find it very hard to spend 3k on something that has 0 aesthetic appeal to me.

Maxvla's point is that all of the hi end headphones are part of a chain. If any component in the chain is a lower level piece then you will not get the full value from any of the others. The LCD3's are fantastic, unfortunately they require great source/DAC, Amp and possibly cables to reach their full potential.

 

It does take time but you certainly have a great start in your future system with the LCD3's!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier