Whee - do I get a prize if I'm the first one to post a photo of the Gungnir / Mjolnir combo driving my LCD-3s ?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 8/6/15
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Intro Before I begin, I would like to sincerely thank Pandora at Brainwavz for providing the review sample of the Jive you see in this review. Please note that I am neither affiliated with...
Name- DUNU TITAN 1 Manufacturar- Dunu-topsound, a chinese company. Price- 115$, I got them for around 169SGD from Lend me ur ears, Singapore. Description- First, some note about me. I am a 25...
BEYERDYNAMIC iDX 160 iE INTRO If you're reading this you must be a Head-Fi member or just looking at reviews for a new pair of headphones or iem’s. Let me introduce myself, my name is Adam...
Table of Contents Introduction Features and Ergonomics Sound Quality With IEMS With full-size headphones Comparisons to other audio gear For whom is this player good...
Introduction: There seems to be quite a bit of discussion and disagreements regarding HIFIMAN’s (HFM) newest headphone, the HE400S. Some have praised the HE400S as being a giant slayer while other...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 2post #16 of 34926/1/12 at 5:22pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 34926/1/12 at 5:27pmpost #18 of 34926/1/12 at 5:53pm
Jason has stated in email that the Mjolnir is the first SS amp that doesn't make him miss tubes. This was some weeks back. I wonder if the final version will retain this quality. The real test is with the HD800. Looking forward to those impressions.post #19 of 34926/1/12 at 6:28pmpost #20 of 34926/1/12 at 6:36pmQuote:
No, but you could choose to pop the cover and have it anodized black. I'm thinking about doing that very thing with the Bifrost and Lyr. The only reservation is loosing the Schiit logos.post #21 of 34926/1/12 at 6:36pmpost #22 of 34926/1/12 at 7:06pmpost #23 of 34926/1/12 at 8:12pmpost #24 of 34926/1/12 at 8:36pmpost #25 of 34926/1/12 at 9:40pm
The procedure is to get your ass down from LA and head to T.H.E SHOW in OC this weekend. They've got all their Schiit down here.post #26 of 34926/1/12 at 10:15pmQuote:
I certainly would, but no transportation for me for a few weeks :). If I had transportation I would have been down there for the event anyway. I had no idea Schiit was going to head down.post #27 of 34926/1/12 at 10:41pm
I'm afraid that's incorrect. Generally speaking, "balanced" amps ("bridged" is a better term) have higher output impedances than their single-ended counterpart as the output impedance is twice that of the non-bridged single-ended circuit. Higher output impedance means less diaphragm control.Quote:Singled-ended connections use only one wire for the signal for each channel while using a common ground, so any music produced is caused from the signal being offset from the ground so there's a chance of crosstalk between channels (collapsing the staging), whereas balanced has two signal wires for each channel with no interference from the other channel.
Both "balanced" and single-ended use two wires. And there's no less crosstalk between two balanced lines than between two single-ended lines.Quote:Signal degradation based on conductor quality is much less with balanced, so those expensive silver cables people swear by in single-ended systems will make much less of a difference in a balanced.
You'd need to go out of your way to find a conductor whose quality degraded the signal to any meaningful degree, and should there be any signal degradation due to conductor quality, the degradation would be no less in a balanced line than in a single-ended line.
sepost #28 of 34926/2/12 at 11:05ampost #29 of 34926/2/12 at 12:21pm
Nice to see an educated response... Again, my comments were "off-the-cuff" and hearsay rather than cited, but just to start a conversation. Actually I tend to notice I learn more when I start an argument ;)Quote:Originally Posted by Steve Eddy
I'm afraid that's incorrect. Generally speaking, "balanced" amps ("bridged" is a better term) have higher output impedances than their single-ended counterpart as the output impedance is twice that of the non-bridged single-ended circuit. Higher output impedance means less diaphragm control.
But this is a generalization, no? And single-ended relying on a common return brings us to the next point :)Quote:Both "balanced" and single-ended use two wires. And there's no less crosstalk between two balanced lines than between two single-ended lines.
This is where the fun part starts. Assuming the common ground is on a perfect conductor we can virtualize the return back into the amplifier, but we're assuming this is a perfect electron sink and source of electrons simultaneously? I believe this would cause differential error/crosstalk between the channels and affect diaphragm control.Quote:You'd need to go out of your way to find a conductor whose quality degraded the signal to any meaningful degree, and should there be any signal degradation due to conductor quality, the degradation would be no less in a balanced line than in a single-ended line.
I agree on the first point, however think there's a bit of fudge factor on the second, as I believe capacitance rather than resistance is the killer in headphone cords in single-ended systems and is a spec often overlooked in favor of low resistance claims (though, admittedly, very very small to the point it's at least inaudible if not unmeasurable unless you're trying hard to introduce the problem ;) The way I see it, if the diaphragms are being driven in opposite phases (yeah, not that common with lower frequencies that would exacerbate the effect and higher frequencies would be transient enough to minimize any effect), it would look like resistance was added or lowered to the other channel, not only affecting diaphragm control. (Given that constructing said source material would be as useless as trying to reproduce perfect square waves, but dampening is the word for today.)
In fact, you're kinda taking the wind out of the sails of balanced amps.. If none of this holds true, what's the benefit/why should we pay for this along with the trouble of recabling our phones?
...and yes, I believe I hold the layman's take on this (having unfortunately abandoned electronics and logic gates in favor of programming in college, though now I wish I stuck with both), so yeah, I'll disagree vocally in the hopes of learning better rather than taking something at face-value (which left me with my current thoughts on the subject matter). Please excuse my veracity ;)
Edited by SeaHawk - 6/2/12 at 12:30pmpost #30 of 34926/2/12 at 2:21pmQuote:
Yeah, this is the big test. If this makes the HD800 not need tubes. I'm skeptical, but very interested.
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Introducing Trinity Audio Engineering 24 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 26 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 27 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 31 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 37 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 38 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 45 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 47 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 51 seconds ago
- › Astell&Kern AK120 TITAN (Europe) like new! 58 seconds ago
- › Brainwavz Jive by thatBeatsguy
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by areek
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by acain
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by chowmein83
- › HiFiMAN HE400S by Cotnijoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by ClieOS
- › Shozy Lancea mini dac amplifier 24bit/192khz for Android/iOS/PC/iPhone by peter123
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by muxamed
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by Bansaku
- › Astell&Kern AK380 Ultimate High Fidelity Portable Music Player by piercer
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2