Whee - do I get a prize if I'm the first one to post a photo of the Gungnir / Mjolnir combo driving my LCD-3s ?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- I'm Trying To Decide On Best Setup For My Budget(4k) And Taste. Which would you buy? Last post on 8/23/14 at 5:17pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- <$600 AMP/DAC for the Sennheiser HD800's Last post on 12/5/12 at 11:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-3 and $1K amp or Audeze LCD-2 and $2K, where is the sweet spot? Last post on 8/11/14 at 1:08pm in High-end Audio Forum
- Need Help Choosing Headphones/Amp/DAC/Cables Last post on 7/11/12 at 2:39am in Headphones (full-size)
- Apex Peak/Volcano vs. Zana Deux Last post on 6/25/12 at 1:54am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
At the time this review was written, the TFZ Series 3 was listed for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to their listing of the...
Background: I own Sennheiser HD600 and Fiio X3II. I love HD600 because it is comfortable and also works well for my classical music and vocal music. But it doesn't play well with any pop music...
PETEREK cables Balanced cable for Sony EX series. Standard custom for Sony EX series Standard 2 pin cable for LEAR,ASG,SHURE ETC. Standard MMCX...
This will be a short review as there are a few other reviews that go into great depth listing all of the specs. I mainly joined this tour to basically get another chance at the X7 and try the amp...
It beats my old Marantz HD-DAC1 in every way. Clarity, smooth, details... my HD650 seems not able to show its full potential. I assume, K812 or T1 will be better match. My K1000 shows new life...
Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 2post #16 of 35256/1/12 at 5:22pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #17 of 35256/1/12 at 5:27pmpost #18 of 35256/1/12 at 5:53pm
Jason has stated in email that the Mjolnir is the first SS amp that doesn't make him miss tubes. This was some weeks back. I wonder if the final version will retain this quality. The real test is with the HD800. Looking forward to those impressions.post #19 of 35256/1/12 at 6:28pmpost #20 of 35256/1/12 at 6:36pmQuote:
No, but you could choose to pop the cover and have it anodized black. I'm thinking about doing that very thing with the Bifrost and Lyr. The only reservation is loosing the Schiit logos.post #21 of 35256/1/12 at 6:36pmpost #22 of 35256/1/12 at 7:06pmpost #23 of 35256/1/12 at 8:12pmpost #24 of 35256/1/12 at 8:36pmpost #25 of 35256/1/12 at 9:40pm
The procedure is to get your ass down from LA and head to T.H.E SHOW in OC this weekend. They've got all their Schiit down here.post #26 of 35256/1/12 at 10:15pmQuote:
I certainly would, but no transportation for me for a few weeks :). If I had transportation I would have been down there for the event anyway. I had no idea Schiit was going to head down.post #27 of 35256/1/12 at 10:41pm
I'm afraid that's incorrect. Generally speaking, "balanced" amps ("bridged" is a better term) have higher output impedances than their single-ended counterpart as the output impedance is twice that of the non-bridged single-ended circuit. Higher output impedance means less diaphragm control.Quote:Singled-ended connections use only one wire for the signal for each channel while using a common ground, so any music produced is caused from the signal being offset from the ground so there's a chance of crosstalk between channels (collapsing the staging), whereas balanced has two signal wires for each channel with no interference from the other channel.
Both "balanced" and single-ended use two wires. And there's no less crosstalk between two balanced lines than between two single-ended lines.Quote:Signal degradation based on conductor quality is much less with balanced, so those expensive silver cables people swear by in single-ended systems will make much less of a difference in a balanced.
You'd need to go out of your way to find a conductor whose quality degraded the signal to any meaningful degree, and should there be any signal degradation due to conductor quality, the degradation would be no less in a balanced line than in a single-ended line.
sepost #28 of 35256/2/12 at 11:05ampost #29 of 35256/2/12 at 12:21pm
Nice to see an educated response... Again, my comments were "off-the-cuff" and hearsay rather than cited, but just to start a conversation. Actually I tend to notice I learn more when I start an argument ;)Quote:Originally Posted by Steve Eddy
I'm afraid that's incorrect. Generally speaking, "balanced" amps ("bridged" is a better term) have higher output impedances than their single-ended counterpart as the output impedance is twice that of the non-bridged single-ended circuit. Higher output impedance means less diaphragm control.
But this is a generalization, no? And single-ended relying on a common return brings us to the next point :)Quote:Both "balanced" and single-ended use two wires. And there's no less crosstalk between two balanced lines than between two single-ended lines.
This is where the fun part starts. Assuming the common ground is on a perfect conductor we can virtualize the return back into the amplifier, but we're assuming this is a perfect electron sink and source of electrons simultaneously? I believe this would cause differential error/crosstalk between the channels and affect diaphragm control.Quote:You'd need to go out of your way to find a conductor whose quality degraded the signal to any meaningful degree, and should there be any signal degradation due to conductor quality, the degradation would be no less in a balanced line than in a single-ended line.
I agree on the first point, however think there's a bit of fudge factor on the second, as I believe capacitance rather than resistance is the killer in headphone cords in single-ended systems and is a spec often overlooked in favor of low resistance claims (though, admittedly, very very small to the point it's at least inaudible if not unmeasurable unless you're trying hard to introduce the problem ;) The way I see it, if the diaphragms are being driven in opposite phases (yeah, not that common with lower frequencies that would exacerbate the effect and higher frequencies would be transient enough to minimize any effect), it would look like resistance was added or lowered to the other channel, not only affecting diaphragm control. (Given that constructing said source material would be as useless as trying to reproduce perfect square waves, but dampening is the word for today.)
In fact, you're kinda taking the wind out of the sails of balanced amps.. If none of this holds true, what's the benefit/why should we pay for this along with the trouble of recabling our phones?
...and yes, I believe I hold the layman's take on this (having unfortunately abandoned electronics and logic gates in favor of programming in college, though now I wish I stuck with both), so yeah, I'll disagree vocally in the hopes of learning better rather than taking something at face-value (which left me with my current thoughts on the subject matter). Please excuse my veracity ;)
Edited by SeaHawk - 6/2/12 at 12:30pmpost #30 of 35256/2/12 at 2:21pmQuote:
Yeah, this is the big test. If this makes the HD800 not need tubes. I'm skeptical, but very interested.
- Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › FiiO X1 2nd gen Review World Tour Starts Right Now, don't miss... 8 seconds ago
- › iPhone 7 Will Revolutionize Portable Audio for the First Time in a... 14 seconds ago
- › Trinity Audio - PHANTOM AIR - The worlds FIRST tuneable truly... 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 5 minutes ago
- › Feamle artists as good as Tori Amos,Regina Spektor and Fiona Apple? 5 minutes ago
- › LG V20 Sound Quality 6 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-A3 vs. DUNU DN 2000j vs. DUNU TItan 1 7 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 9 minutes ago
- › Schiit Jotunheim Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV 9 minutes ago
- › The Fragrant Zither (TFZ) Series 3 Hifi Earphones by Hisoundfi
- › Bowers & Wilkins P3 by foobar2015
- › "PETEREK (Verbessen)" by Hawaiibadboy
- › FiiO AM2 - Medium Power Amplifier Module for X7 by howdy
- › DiDiT DAC212 by Runningwater
- › Soundaware Esther by FUYU
- › Edifier R1700BT Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Active Near-field... by ryanjsoo
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by crinacle
- › Cyberdrive Seiun Player JR2 by ExpatinJapan
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by B9Scrambler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...