Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 84

post #1246 of 3314

x2 for loudness wars, and as well x2 that louder isn't better, generally you lose dynamics and that is never good, never, never, never. I also find it difficult that older recordings require so much more gain to get to almost always, still a quieter listening level than I often prefer. Many of us have spent a great number of years listening to really hot mastered music, so in contrast the quieter, more dynamic stuff may actually seem flat, well until you actually listen for realism and depth of presentation. Unless you are just a diehard loudness loving head-banger, it is difficult to play almost any modern pop, rock, rap whatever album all the way through at any volume without needing a break. In stark contrast if you put on an album such as lets say Pink Floyd's The Wall, or Supertramp Crime Of The Century and give it some juice, I'll bet the majority of people would find it much easier to sit through extended listening without needing a break.

 

I'm a drummer, and I play loud, and I have been to many ear-splittingly loud rock concerts in my day, but despite likeing music fairly loud, most modern recordings are very hard to handle. I almost get anxious after any extended period of listening. Think about what is happening to your brain, it is being pounded with very loud signals, not normally dynamic signals where there are appropriate spaces and gaps bewteen the signals, the signals are all coming at almost identical amplitudes regardless of how they should actually be being portrayed. Come on, the snare hit is as loud as the kick drum, the bass guitar as loud as that .... your poor brain just can't catch a break. With louder listening levels and high energy music it is just sensory overload. This is just my opinion of course, but it would seem that a great majority of music fans feel that music is just too damn loud and it isn't enhancing anything for them.

post #1247 of 3314

I understand the loudness wars and all, but remember that we're talking about the HE6 here. There's no shame when any headamp gives it up during intense passages with that can. It's not quite a bottomless pit, but close.

post #1248 of 3314

Sonic Defender's comments touch on two issues. One, you do need the right combination of gear to get the most out of the tunes and two, with all those knobs, dials and slides on the mixing board do they ALL have to be maxed???

 

Seriously, Volume and gain do not equal quality....rolleyes.gif

post #1249 of 3314

The lower volume CDs are likely better mastered.  

post #1250 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender View Post

x2 for loudness wars, and as well x2 that louder isn't better, generally you lose dynamics and that is never good, never, never, never. I also find it difficult that older recordings require so much more gain to get to almost always, still a quieter listening level than I often prefer. Many of us have spent a great number of years listening to really hot mastered music, so in contrast the quieter, more dynamic stuff may actually seem flat, well until you actually listen for realism and depth of presentation. Unless you are just a diehard loudness loving head-banger, it is difficult to play almost any modern pop, rock, rap whatever album all the way through at any volume without needing a break. In stark contrast if you put on an album such as lets say Pink Floyd's The Wall, or Supertramp Crime Of The Century and give it some juice, I'll bet the majority of people would find it much easier to sit through extended listening without needing a break.

 

I'm a drummer, and I play loud, and I have been to many ear-splittingly loud rock concerts in my day, but despite likeing music fairly loud, most modern recordings are very hard to handle. I almost get anxious after any extended period of listening. Think about what is happening to your brain, it is being pounded with very loud signals, not normally dynamic signals where there are appropriate spaces and gaps bewteen the signals, the signals are all coming at almost identical amplitudes regardless of how they should actually be being portrayed. Come on, the snare hit is as loud as the kick drum, the bass guitar as loud as that .... your poor brain just can't catch a break. With louder listening levels and high energy music it is just sensory overload. This is just my opinion of course, but it would seem that a great majority of music fans feel that music is just too damn loud and it isn't enhancing anything for them.

 

 

 

I am not into loud music-at all...and grew up in the 70-80's,and also played an electric guitar,so I'm a little familar with loud rock band music.

One of the newer cd's,I am referring to is ..Albert Cummings--"Working Man"..with my lcd2's ,& the mjolnir,I set the loudness at 11 oclock--even this level is a little loud for me,when I connect the he-6,it's gpt be be pushed to 2-3 o'clock.

If I switch to say one of my classical cd's..Brahms,...with the he-6's its go to go to 3 o'clock,and even at this level ,I feel I'm not getting full impact,the sq,is slightly veiled....lcd's are fine at 11-12 o'clock

I know,I know...lcd's are easier to drive.

 

I'll continue to test this new setup I have,...maybe it's my ears adjusting to the new mjolnir & he-6.....?

 

I was trying to avoid buying a speaker amp,just to use with one headphone..,but if it gives me 20-25% better SQ,I will

IMHO,the he-6's is an excellent headphone,and I want to use them ,to their full potential.

That being said,...the lcd's & the Mjolnir,produce SQ quality,like I never heard before,especially the bass-amazing.

 

I appreciate all your replies & input,

 

Mike


Edited by mikek200 - 9/17/12 at 2:16am
post #1251 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoeiii View Post

Zenpunk can you give us and idea why you are sticking with LD VI?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elwappo99 View Post

 

Any particular reasons you could list? 

I don't think the Mjolnir has any issue powering the HE-6 and with most amplifiers the volume is actually an attenuator so if the amp is properly designed and the signal at the input isn't too hot people shouldn't be concerned with having to use most of the rotation available. I felt the Mjolnir only bettered the LD in the bass region, slightly  better extension and control.

The Mjolnir also impresses by the amount of details it throws but I thought it sounded etched compared to the smooth LD,  as a result the latter was more "musical". The Mjolnir treble extended also further but was very slighlty tizzy compared to the LD.

My LD is also fitted with TS 5998 and ECC35, which boost gain and improve the overall transparency of the amp compared to stock tubes. 

The Mjolnir sounded great with the HE-6 but I just preferred the LD. You might think otherwise

 

PS : Imaging and soundstage sounded more coherent on the LD, but that is likely due to the Tube "Magic" biggrin.gif


Edited by zenpunk - 9/17/12 at 2:36am
post #1252 of 3314

On some quietly mastered recordings even the Master-6 has be to turned up very high. I have a couple of CD's that I listen to at 60 out of 70 on the volume control. Normally I would be at 35-50/70.

Even with my LCD2.2 the volume needs to be increased from around 20 to 30-35.

 

However this is via ACSS which has a lower output than XLR. With XLR the volume would be around 50-55/70 and even at the high volume there is still absolutely no loss of sound from the Master-6.

 

So its no surprise that the Mjolnir could struggle at times with low level recordings.


Edited by nigeljames - 9/17/12 at 2:36am
post #1253 of 3314
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

 

One of the newer cd's,I am referring to is ..Albert Cummings--"Working Man"

 

Fantastic CD!

post #1254 of 3314

Does anybody use Mjolnir to drive HE-500? I want to add more transparency and dynamics to them compared to my asgard, would it be worth it?

post #1255 of 3314

I've been using the Mjolnir with HE-500 for several weeks now. I'm very happy with the SQ. There's plenty of power to drive the HE-500 to their full potential. I've not heard the Asgard, so I can't offer a direct comparison. 

post #1256 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikek200 View Post

I am not into loud music-at all...and grew up in the 70-80's,and also played an electric guitar,so I'm a little familar with loud rock band music.

One of the newer cd's,I am referring to is ..Albert Cummings--"Working Man"..with my lcd2's ,& the mjolnir,I set the loudness at 11 oclock--even this level is a little loud for me,when I connect the he-6,it's gpt be be pushed to 2-3 o'clock.

If I switch to say one of my classical cd's..Brahms,...with the he-6's its go to go to 3 o'clock,and even at this level ,I feel I'm not getting full impact,the sq,is slightly veiled....lcd's are fine at 11-12 o'clock

I know,I know...lcd's are easier to drive.

 

I'll continue to test this new setup I have,...maybe it's my ears adjusting to the new mjolnir & he-6.....?

 

I was trying to avoid buying a speaker amp,just to use with one headphone..,but if it gives me 20-25% better SQ,I will

IMHO,the he-6's is an excellent headphone,and I want to use them ,to their full potential.

That being said,...the lcd's & the Mjolnir,produce SQ quality,like I never heard before,especially the bass-amazing.

 

I appreciate all your replies & input,

 

Mike

 

Mike, it's not hard to tell when the HE-6 isn't properly powered.  Images will seem less rounded and full and there won't be warmth and smoothness to the sound.  Try it off your PA2V2 and see if you hear a brittleness compared to the Mjolnir.

 

That said, 8 watts into 50 ohms should be plenty to power the HE-6.  I doubt the peaks take you past 5 watts, but I could be wrong though.  

 

From what I have read of the Mjolnir's signature so far, it doesn't seem like it's the best fit for an HE-6.  I think the HE-6 excel at pushing everything depth-wise for a speaker-like presentation.  If you have a detailed, transparent chain with the sophistication a relaxed and smooth presentation, the HE-6 are really hard to beat.  A forward signature will probably detract from that experience, IMO.

post #1257 of 3314

The Mjolnir might not be the "ideal" amp for the HE-6 but it is still pretty damn good, IMO. Somebody else previously mentioned soundstage depth and I also had the feeling that the Moljnir projected a wide and open soundstage but not  as holographic or 3D compared to the LD or a powerful receiver.

post #1258 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinxvc View Post

 

Mike, it's not hard to tell when the HE-6 isn't properly powered.  Images will seem less rounded and full and there won't be warmth and smoothness to the sound.  Try it off your PA2V2 and see if you hear a brittleness compared to the Mjolnir.

 

That said, 8 watts into 50 ohms should be plenty to power the HE-6.  I doubt the peaks take you past 5 watts, but I could be wrong though.  

 

From what I have read of the Mjolnir's signature so far, it doesn't seem like it's the best fit for an HE-6.  I think the HE-6 excel at pushing everything depth-wise for a speaker-like presentation.  If you have a detailed, transparent chain with the sophistication a relaxed and smooth presentation, the HE-6 are really hard to beat.  A forward signature will probably detract from that experience, IMO.

 

That depends actually on if the user has experience with better amps. It's hard to tell if someone doesn't have experience with better amps such as say people running high end dynamics with say a Fiio E7/E9 combo or anything like that.

 

I'm getting a Mjolnir hopefully soon so maybe you can find out eventually.

post #1259 of 3314
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

The Mjolnir might not be the "ideal" amp for the HE-6 but it is still pretty damn good, IMO. 

 

Considering that there are <5 headphone amplifiers that can handle the HE-6, that's probably true.

post #1260 of 3314

OK,well,the only 2 amps I've tried are the PA2V2 & the Lyr...

 

I'm listening to some jazz,that came for a new cd..volume is set to 2oclock,...a tiny bit on the loud side.,but the old cryoed ears are still intake

I'm getting perfect clarity,.good strong bass..mids are fine..treble is great

 

If I did get a speaker amp,say a small t-amp,how much more improvement can I expect to get...20-30% ?

Again,this is the last thing,I want to do ,as I'm on a small desktop set-up.,and don't want to buy another amp for one set of headphones.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier