Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier - Page 81

post #1201 of 3200
Thanks for sharing your impressions. They are certainly very helpful.
post #1202 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lappy27 View Post

 

BUT we all agreed that for the price, the Mjolnir is a superb bargain and tremendous value. The Bryston retail price is now nearly twice the selling price of the Mjolnir.

 

Still, we are all curious what an other hundred of hours could do to the Mjolnir. rattesp offer me to land me the Mjolnir for a couple of days in my home set-up in a near future to have the time to do a lenghty comparaison of both amp. I certainly will accept his offer. 

 

All the participants recognized that the fisrt attempt of Bryston in the headphone market was a really successful one.

 

By no means I wanted to step on anybody's toes here. I just want to share my experience (others here had the opposite opinion when they compared both amps) and let people know that there is other alternatives in SS amps (yet more pricey).

 

What a great time to be a headphone fan! There has never been so many skilled companies focusing their considerable engineering on headphones! Very cool...biggrin.gif I wonder who comes out with the next awesome amp?

 

popcorn.gif

post #1203 of 3200

I was slightly disappointed in the mjolnir after doing a direct comparison to lappy's Bryston. But I have to say, I believe the mjolnir will change with a few dozen more hours of burn in. You can feel the depth is lacking and closed in compared to the Bryston and the highs were bright and sometimes unbearable to me. Those are usually typical indications of a "new" amplifier. And I agree with lappy, it sounded like it had a v-shape sound sig; which I'm not the biggest fan of...

 

Anyways, I hope the mjolnir develops with time, I have one on the way myself! But I think on an overall level, it will probably not match the BHA-1's technicalities. We'll see with time.

 

I did spend a while with the mjolnir on its own once lappy left, and it was much more enjoyable since I had nothing to compare it to (b22 doesnt count because it's very different). My friend Nico also realized that albeit not quite as coherent as the bha-1, the mjolnir does sound amazing for the price tag, and he said he had his "best musical experience" with it while  he was testing some electronic music from his library.


Edited by dleblanc343 - 9/15/12 at 7:04am
post #1204 of 3200

I continue to believe you need at least 200 hours on a piece of gear before you really listen to it critically. It just seems to make a significant difference.

post #1205 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbowbbs View Post

I continue to believe you need at least 200 hours on a piece of gear before you really listen to it critically. It just seems to make a significant difference.

My experience with the Bryston lead me to the same conclusion.

post #1206 of 3200

Does anyone have some hours on their mjolnir yet that could comment on how it burns in?

 

popcorn.gif

post #1207 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I had nothing to compare it to (b22 doesnt count because it's very different). 

 

Care to explain why you think these two Solid States amp can't be compared?  

 

IMHO any thing can be compared - at the end of the day what your comparing is the sound - not the difference in the technical aspects.

 

Ask Solude - He compares anything and everything that produces sound.  I respected him for that.  

 

Also he had the M and put his own hours on it.  Might not change much more that what you have.  

post #1208 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Care to explain why you think these two Solid States amp can't be compared?  

 

IMHO any thing can be compared - at the end of the day what your comparing is the sound - not the difference in the technical aspects.

 

Ask Solude - He compares anything and everything that produces sound.  I respected him for that.  

 

Also he had the M and put his own hours on it.  Might not change much more that what you have.  

I was specifically comparing the bha-1/mjolnir because they have a "similar" sound, basically two amps I was deciding upon. The b22 if I was to compare, is more grandiose, sort-of a mix between an ss and tube amp with bloomy-er bass and more musical (harmonics and fuller sound). It's a better match with the HD-800, but not sure about the HE-6.

 

Also, the mjolnir we were trying was the one bought from Solude by Rattesp biggrin.gif

post #1209 of 3200
keep us updated Canadians!
post #1210 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleblanc343 View Post

I was specifically comparing the bha-1/mjolnir because they have a "similar" sound, basically two amps I was deciding upon. The b22 if I was to compare, is more grandiose, sort-of a mix between an ss and tube amp with bloomy-er bass and more musical (harmonics and fuller sound). It's a better match with the HD-800, but not sure about the HE-6.

 

Also, the mjolnir we were trying was the one bought from Solude by Rattesp biggrin.gif

 

 

Bloomy-er bass?  Remember, I owned the BHA-1 along side my B22, and GS-1 at the same time.  While the bass on the BHA-1 was good the bass on the B22 is way better than the BHA-1 and the GS-1 - This 4-channel fully balanced one anyway.  This is some of the best bass I ever got out of an amp, big, tight and lots of quality.  Now I have not heard the Mjolnir so I can't compare.  I'm waiting for the Statement amp.  

post #1211 of 3200

My B22 is a 3-channel build. I also prefer the bass on the B22. It doesn't have the slam and the impact of the BHA-1 bass but it has a lot more "texture" and details IMHO. The fact that it doesn't have the same impact may give the impression that it's bloomy-er ? 

post #1212 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattesp View Post

My B22 is a 3-channel build. I also prefer the bass on the B22. It doesn't have the slam and the impact of the BHA-1 bass but it has a lot more "texture" and details IMHO. The fact that it doesn't have the same impact may give the impression that it's bloomy-er ? 

 

 

This is interesting.  I wonder if their's a difference between a 3 channel and a 4 channel?  Because side by side with the BHA-1 my B22 best it in the bass department in all areas including impact.  Although like I said the bass on the BHA-1 is great.  

 

 

To get back on the topic of the thread:

Can someone comment on the bass the Mjolnir is delivering?

post #1213 of 3200

Just got back for the fantastic UK meet when I had the opportunity to try the Mjolnir with my HE-6. The amp sounded great, amazing bass and details and very energetic but I also noticed a slight edginess and thinness in the treble.

post #1214 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

Just got back for the fantastic UK meet when I had the opportunity to try the Mjolnir with my HE-6. The amp sounded great, amazing bass and details and very energetic but I also noticed a slight edginess and thinness in the treble.

Comparatively to what?

post #1215 of 3200
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpunk View Post

Just got back for the fantastic UK meet when I had the opportunity to try the Mjolnir with my HE-6. The amp sounded great, amazing bass and details and very energetic but I also noticed a slight edginess and thinness in the treble.

 

 

This is classic signs of.....

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Mjolnir headphone amplifier