- To play a collection of around 150GB of FLAC files without swapping SD cards. (Hard disk could be Internal or External)
- S/PDIF (optical or RCA) Digital Output
- Not too big. Must fit over a night desk.
- A Touch Screen with a decent music browser.
- No need for Wireless, ethernet, or radio streaming.
The first thing that came to my mind (I started this search 6 months ago) was the Logitech Squeezebox. But it seems that it has many issues when used as standalone player with an external Hard Disk.
Somebody said once that Android ICS was going to support USB Audio for external DAC, so my second thought was a small tablet with an external HD (I almost clicked the ‘Add to cart” button for the Ainol Novo 7 Aurora). But it seems that Android is not interested at all in solving this issue.
I also considered the possibility of using a tablet and a HDMI to SPDIF converter. But I have read at the instructions of many tablets that the screen is disabled when the HDMI is used. So it would become a blind brick if there is no monitor connected !!
The best solution that I have found so far is the Archos tablet with internal 250GB hard disk, and the DVR Dock Station with S/PDIF output. Anyone using the Archos with SPDIF from the Dock Station?
Anyone knows of other options?
Teac WAP-8600? Too expensive
Why there are no manufacturers interested in building tablets with S/PDIF output?
Edited by Pingfloid - 3/31/12 at 8:29pm