Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC - Page 6

post #76 of 691
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkanai View Post

How does metadata support between ALAC & AIFF compare?  Clearly file size of ALAC is better but...
 


ALAC?  is that from AFLAC insurance?  I need to catch up on the times...  well, I use AIFF bc Beatport and Ableton Live/Logic use it natively for production and spinning.  I used WAV forever and many of my files are still WAV, but those days are long gone especially for DJing (I need the key, bpm, meta data in the files)...  I used FLAC until Apple era for size and before I started producing, WHY DOESNT APPLE SUPPORT FLAC?  It is odd.

 

what's on my mind? BPM / ROOM ACOUSTICS

320kbps MP3 still sucks, I can really hear the difference MORE on great club sound systems almost easier than on mediocre headphones or even on my B&W nautilus because of the seperation. I used to DJ only uncompressed audio with an NI AUDIO 8 SOUND CARD or Serato SL3/4, but the Pioneer CDJ-2000 makes even 320k MP3s sound better than normal.  There is an odd reverb effect in different clubs/venues - I like to study this for the proper BPM I play at per room and fine tune it to an 8-band EQ (if i can have time to setup) live while I perform.  I also even notice the temperature and weather to adjust playing, outside venues when it rains, is cold or is windy requires a bit slower BPM (127 vs 129-131 for optimal rooms).  In the end, I think the ROOM is like the FIT/ERGOS of a headphone.  I over analyze everything...

 

Headphones vs Club vs Audiophile Systems

It's really fun to play with headphones vs audiophile home vs club sound systems.  Beta in Denver has one of the best sound systems in the world, next CanJam we definitely need to test drive it.  I made LP2/LP match Beta, Space Miami, Ministry of Sound and the Genelec monitors Tiesto and I used when playing.  I have the Classe/B&W but rarely use it as I can't stand that I have to sit perfectly to hear it best, if somebody wants them I'll sell relatively cheap this weekend!

 

6608_111776671027_679331027_2317707_5491143_n.jpg

 

 


Edited by valkolton - 4/18/12 at 12:17am
Reply
post #77 of 691

Val, had no idea you were such a DJ. What genres do you spin?
 

post #78 of 691
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkanai View Post

Val, had no idea you were such a DJ. What genres do you spin?
 


3 styles: 1) PRIMAL = Prime time vocals w/ tribal basslines... JUDE heard it at CES when I played at Haze. (val kolton)  2) sexy progressive (konspiracy) and 3) crazy minimal tech-house with opera and piano (like Italoboyz)

 

I LOVE HOUSE MUSIC AND HISTORY

Not many people know and I hate to name drop, but the history is interesting..

 

I was resident DJ of Hyde and Foxtail (the VIP celeb/model clubs) in LA and started the "I LOVE HOUSE MUSIC" brand with Paul Oakenfold, promoter Dean May and SBE which changed the scene in LA and possibly in the USA forever.  I went on tour w Oakenfold on the Madonna Sticky and Sweet tour 2 times, my first gig EVER was at Pacha in Sao Paulo Brazil w Oakie after Madonna performed in the dome.  I never wanted to conform to "normal music", so I practiced at my own house parties for years, made ALL my own remixes to be unique and then Paul discovered me...  Tiesto and I were BFF for a long time and I have credits/mentions in lots of huge albums if you read the fine print.

 

I still DJ when time is right and produce as much as I can as it is my true love, but I have to slow down and concentrate on V-MODA as the world is changing.  Also, all DJs sound the exact same now days so I have to re-invent a new sound as I ABSOLUTELY HATE being like anybody else.  This is why I have never released any of my tracks, I DIDNT want other DJs to play them, I wanted people to hear them live only...  I recently produced ~5-10 new tracks that I am releasing that are very different, but I am releasing them with videos at launch.  

 

my very first MAJOR gig, EVER!

 

534_36432161027_679331027_1138040_7024_n.jpg

 

first flier for LA's very first UPSCALE house music night, this started it all!

2183_50186011027_679331027_1469804_5723_n.jpg

 

CES this year (jude was there)

 


Edited by valkolton - 4/18/12 at 1:16am
Reply
post #79 of 691

Hi Val

 

Here's one idea if you're really thinking OOTB - and IMO would attract a lot of sales despite an ~ $600 price tag ........

 

If your device could somehow interface with the iDevice and extend it's memory - that to me would be a 'knock it out of the park' master-stroke.

 

Here's my reasoning .....

The dacs in the iPhone 4 are actually pretty good - and for half the price I can add an Arrow - and have form factor, treble and bass controls, cross feed, and amplification that will even handle cans up to 600ohm - while still maintaining a reasonably high quality of portable sound.

 

I could go HP-P1 / CLAS for similar money to your proposed $600 - but to really take advantage of these dacs, you'd need to be feeding them ALAC/FLAC - ie using the iPhone as a transport.  The problem is that the iPhone doesn't have enough flash memory to be a decent transport.  At 32 (4) or 64 (4S) Gb, both devices simply don't have enough usable space - especially by the time you include other data or applications.

 

If you could somehow create the Vamp with the features you're thinking about at the moment  PLUS adding another 64-128Gb memory for more music - then sir, you have a surefire winner.

 

Like I said - just thinking OOTB.  I have no idea if it could be done.

 

Oh - BTW, I'm pretty sure the iDevices will play 24bit - and can handle max 24/48.

post #80 of 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Hi Val

 

Here's one idea if you're really thinking OOTB - and IMO would attract a lot of sales despite an ~ $600 price tag ........

 

If your device could somehow interface with the iDevice and extend it's memory - that to me would be a 'knock it out of the park' master-stroke.

 

Here's my reasoning .....

The dacs in the iPhone 4 are actually pretty good - and for half the price I can add an Arrow - and have form factor, treble and bass controls, cross feed, and amplification that will even handle cans up to 600ohm - while still maintaining a reasonably high quality of portable sound.

 

I could go HP-P1 / CLAS for similar money to your proposed $600 - but to really take advantage of these dacs, you'd need to be feeding them ALAC/FLAC - ie using the iPhone as a transport.  The problem is that the iPhone doesn't have enough flash memory to be a decent transport.  At 32 (4) or 64 (4S) Gb, both devices simply don't have enough usable space - especially by the time you include other data or applications.

 

If you could somehow create the Vamp with the features you're thinking about at the moment  PLUS adding another 64-128Gb memory for more music - then sir, you have a surefire winner.

 

Like I said - just thinking OOTB.  I have no idea if it could be done.

 

Oh - BTW, I'm pretty sure the iDevices will play 24bit - and can handle max 24/48.


interesting ideas, not sure if entirely possible, hell even with an adapter you cant hook up a usb flash device to the iProducts (or am I wrong?)

 

If it is possible, then it may be possible to have the VAMP act as a USB hub, in which case it can extend the memory AND act as a DAC, whilst using the iphone as an effective controller.

 

Clever concept, very clever concept, more applicable to ICS devices though.

 

 

@VAL  House music is a huge part of South Africa, especially in the townships, so its interesting where you draw your influences from, talking of different, I'm going to name drop a band called Gold Fish, also vey different.

 


Edited by WiR3D - 4/18/12 at 2:18am
post #81 of 691
Thread Starter 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post


interesting ideas, not sure if entirely possible, hell even with an adapter you cant hook up a usb flash device to the iProducts (or am I wrong?)

 

If it is possible, then it may be possible to have the VAMP act as a USB hub, in which case it can extend the memory AND act as a DAC, whilst using the iphone as an effective controller.

 

Clever concept, very clever concept, more applicable to ICS devices though.

 

 

@VAL  House music is a huge part of South Africa, especially in the townships, so its interesting where you draw your influences from, talking of different, I'm going to name drop a band called Gold Fish, also vey different.

 



I think this can be done on iPad...not sure about iPhone (w the SD camera reader)

Reply
post #82 of 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkolton View Post

I think this can be done on iPad...not sure about iPhone (w the SD camera reader)


I'll haveto dig more into it when I get time, I am more of an android person. TBH i wouldn't worry about trying to include it too much, it may push up the price alot, but it does address the memory issue.

 

 

post #83 of 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post


interesting ideas, not sure if entirely possible, hell even with an adapter you cant hook up a usb flash device to the iProducts (or am I wrong?)

 

If it is possible, then it may be possible to have the VAMP act as a USB hub, in which case it can extend the memory AND act as a DAC, whilst using the iphone as an effective controller.

 

Clever concept, very clever concept, more applicable to ICS devices though.

 

 

Agreed it's an interesting idea but I don't think it can be done with the current iPhone or the iPad. I think a lot of it has to do with what the limitations of the dock connector at the bottom. I've seen the following possibilities so far :-

1) LOD (simplest) with external amp

2) approved external DAC/Amp (at least according to ALO requires Apple licensing)

3) approved external full control e.g. my Alpine car stereo would use the iPhone/iPod/Touch as a transport but the actual player controls.

4) unapproved (and can change anytime) iPad -> CCK -> some USB DACs

 

I have a feeling "extending" the memory of the iDevice though is not going to be possible unless it's an external player like the (3) car stereo example. To tap off an external storage, and have the internal iDevice player play it back would require some pretty fancy iOS revamping (maybe talk to the jailbreak development team).

 

@Brooko, BTW the iDevices handling 24/48, although FLACPlayer can play anything up to even 24/192 on the iDevice, I believe it's down-converted before it gets output to the external DAC. Depends on how you define "can handle". If you mean "can accept", then yes with FLACPlayer. If you mean "can output", I don't think it can.

post #84 of 691


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

I'll haveto dig more into it when I get time, I am more of an android person. TBH i wouldn't worry about trying to include it too much, it may push up the price alot, but it does address the memory issue.


As an iPod Touch G4 and iPhone 4 user - the only way I personally would justify an add-on DAC/Amp at the +$500 level (and Val specifically mentioned iPhone4 - smart move due to popularity) would be if I was to play lossless all the time.  This would be a very attractive concept if the iPhone / iPod had more flash memory.  If Apple won't do it - but Val could incorporate it - I'd imagine for serious music lovers that it would be an absolute selling point.  Without the added space - I can't carry most of my library with me (I currently can with aac256).  With the added space it would save me re-encoding everything to aac - that along would be worth it .....

 

From his original posts - he's developing this for the touch devices, not the older iPods (if I'm reading it right).  If that's the case, then more memory is (IMO) very important.  It may not be important to Android users - but at this stage we're not talking about them are we?

 

Probably moot point anyway - implementation may be impossible.

post #85 of 691


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnakChan View Post

@Brooko, BTW the iDevices handling 24/48, although FLACPlayer can play anything up to even 24/192 on the iDevice, I believe it's down-converted before it gets output to the external DAC. Depends on how you define "can handle". If you mean "can accept", then yes with FLACPlayer. If you mean "can output", I don't think it can.



Thanks for that.  I know it loads 24/48 into the actual player.- can also do 24 bit aac files (when I re-encode my FLAC files to aac, any hi-res files I have to resample to 24/48 rather than 16/48).  I'll have to do some more reading and see if I can find what the DAC is capable of.

 

The memory issue is a moot point for me ATM - as I use aac256 because of the flash/space constraints.  So in that case - I wouldn't consider Val's Vampn at ~$600 - I'm better (space issues) just to use a LOD and the $300 Arrow.

 

I guess I'm suggesting that there may be limited demand for this unless it is significantly cheaper - or if Apple can be persuaded to release a 128Gb+ iPhone.

post #86 of 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooko View Post

Hi Val

 

Here's one idea if you're really thinking OOTB - and IMO would attract a lot of sales despite an ~ $600 price tag ........

 

If your device could somehow interface with the iDevice and extend it's memory - that to me would be a 'knock it out of the park' master-stroke.

 

Here's my reasoning .....

The dacs in the iPhone 4 are actually pretty good - and for half the price I can add an Arrow - and have form factor, treble and bass controls, cross feed, and amplification that will even handle cans up to 600ohm - while still maintaining a reasonably high quality of portable sound.

 

I could go HP-P1 / CLAS for similar money to your proposed $600 - but to really take advantage of these dacs, you'd need to be feeding them ALAC/FLAC - ie using the iPhone as a transport.  The problem is that the iPhone doesn't have enough flash memory to be a decent transport.  At 32 (4) or 64 (4S) Gb, both devices simply don't have enough usable space - especially by the time you include other data or applications.

 

If you could somehow create the Vamp with the features you're thinking about at the moment  PLUS adding another 64-128Gb memory for more music - then sir, you have a surefire winner.

 

Like I said - just thinking OOTB.  I have no idea if it could be done.

 

Oh - BTW, I'm pretty sure the iDevices will play 24bit - and can handle max 24/48.

 

Genius!

 

post #87 of 691
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by roma101 View Post

 

Genius!

 

 

Great ideas.... keep em coming, can't do them all now but long term I'll think about it.  brainstorming is free, after all! 
 

 

Reply
post #88 of 691

Agreed ^^ Even if it's not a possibility now, the more innovative ideas for the future, the better.

post #89 of 691

Not to be a cynic, but someone has to play devils advocate (sorry val, just doing this on your behalf to avoid "group think")

 

But where is the market for this realistically? I understand its made to work with V-Moda products, but at 2x the price of the M100 I HIGHLY doubt any of the M100 owners will fork out that much, if they could they would buy a level higher in headphones. The level of money prospective M100 owners will spend on amping is between $100 and $250, and if you think about it, its true.

 

Also being designed for apple products kills alot of potential USE, if it includes support for PC, and USB class audio then it fills other gaps and gives buyers more excuses to buy it.

 

And finally if this is indeed designed to work with the M100, but mainly for the future "REVOLVER" which MSRP we don't know yet, I am going to guess $600-$1200 then it may make sense to make this, but at its price the usage limitation is still a problem.

 

 

I know this doesn't sound good, but I honestly dont want V-MODA to produce a good product and pay so much for production if there is no use for it (and I know Val isn't a fan of following trends or market needs analysis.)

 

 


Edited by WiR3D - 4/19/12 at 12:20am
post #90 of 691
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiR3D View Post

Not to be a cynic, but someone has to play devils advocate (sorry val, just doing this on your behalf to avoid "group think")

 

But where is the market for this realistically? I understand its made to work with V-Moda products, but at 2x the price of the M100 I HIGHLY doubt any of the M100 owners will fork out that much, if they could they would buy a level higher in headphones. The level of money prospective M100 owners will spend on amping is between $100 and $250, and if you think about it, its true.

 

Also being designed for apple products kills alot of potential USE, if it includes support for PC, and USB class audio then it fills other gaps and gives buyers more excuses to buy it.

 

And finally if this is indeed designed to work with the M100, but mainly for the future "REVOLVER" which MSRP we don't know yet, I am going to guess $600-$1200 then it may make sense to make this, but at its price the usage limitation is still a problem.

 

 

I know this doesn't sound good, but I honestly dont want V-MODA to produce a good product and pay so much for production if there is no use for it (and I know Val isn't a fan of following trends or market needs analysis.)

 

 

 

Good question, and there is one answer "it's for the brand".  We won't make $ on it at all, we are doing it because me and my #2 want it (that is a big reason), also it is a calculated risk for us to start developing more headphone amplifiers and other products besides headphones (like Faders).  In fact, I think we already pre-sold the first production run of VAMPs in Asia!  Only going to be a few left for USA in this production run.  One of the reasons it costs $600 is bc of the economies of scale and the fixed costs to launch products (photography, travel, copy, artists, test time, tooling, engineering validation, reliability tests, production quality, press, training materials, etc....).  Product launches are definitely not fast, cheap or easy!

 


Edited by valkolton - 4/19/12 at 12:44am
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › V-MODA VAMP: DEVELOPMENT/REVIEWS/PICS/ETC