Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions - Page 55

post #811 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

How do you like that OR5?  How much of an improvement did it bring?


+1?

post #812 of 1156

So has anyone compared the M51 with the Anedio D2?

 

Sorry for my sarcasm wink.gif

post #813 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post

 

In my system the m51 was a big improvement over the Metrum Octave.

There is now an improved octave mkII..now with option of usb input..and in same enclosure and some specs from his bigger brother the hex..

the original octave mkI is now cheaper with 695euros by the way!


Edited by hifimanrookie - 3/27/13 at 12:09pm
post #814 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post


could you elaborate on that? what improved? Thank you.

Pretty much it improved everything. Dynamics, detail, naturalness of sound, soundstage, etc. it was one of those moments that once I put it in my system there was no going back. One caveat, I used it as preamp, therefore metrum was used in conjunction with a Dodd battery preamp whereas the m51 was DAC and preamp. Also, it brought new meaning to the term 'black background'.
post #815 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post


How do you like that OR5?  How much of an improvement did it bring?

I consider the OR5 to be an essential component. It really makes my system sound much more realistic and there is no hint of 'digital' sound anymore. Instrument placement is much more precise and the sound is more 'cohesive' as a whole. Sounds a bit over the top, but honestly, the OR5/m51 combo has cured my upgraditis. Going on a year now. As a long time audiophile, this is a first for me.
post #816 of 1156

Woodcans, which Wireworld USB cable are you using and have you compared it to others? Thanks. 

post #817 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by auee View Post

Woodcans, which Wireworld USB cable are you using and have you compared it to others? Thanks. 

Good point.  I was looking at the locus USB cables..  I think that's the name.

post #818 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by auee View Post

Woodcans, which Wireworld USB cable are you using and have you compared it to others? Thanks. 

0.5 m starlight cable. Had a 1 m purple cable and cannot discern a difference between the two.
post #819 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post


0.5 m starlight cable. Had a 1 m purple cable and cannot discern a difference between the two.

I have read somewhere that having off ramp makes a good USB cable less necessary. Maybe that is why cable upgrade is not as obvious, huh?

post #820 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

I have read somewhere that having off ramp makes a good USB cable less necessary. Maybe that is why cable upgrade is not as obvious, huh?

Steve from Empirical says a fancy USB cable isn't necessary for it.
post #821 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post


Steve from Empirical says a fancy USB cable isn't necessary for it.


There you go! Thanks for confirming. I am actually considering OR -- it is one of many options I am looking at for upgrading my source.

post #822 of 1156
If I2S is the data off the drive as read from the reader, would there be a difference in say a http://ciaudio.com/products/TransientMKII and the OR?
post #823 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

If I2S is the data off the drive as read from the reader, would there be a difference in say a http://ciaudio.com/products/TransientMKII and the OR?

I don't entirely understand the science behind the DD converters. I have tried several in my system(s) and they do all sound different. Ime the OR has been the best, by a significant margin. Even improving the sound with the m51, despite the fact that many are happy with its native USB input. Having said that, I have not heard the CIA device.
post #824 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcans View Post


I don't entirely understand the science behind the DD converters. I have tried several in my system(s) and they do all sound different. Ime the OR has been the best, by a significant margin. Even improving the sound with the m51, despite the fact that many are happy with its native USB input. Having said that, I have not heard the CIA device.


Thanks for the report, WC, and glad you're still enjoying the setup -- OT, but how do you find the Lux power amp with the NAD? I'm thinking of moving from my M51>>Luxman integrated to M51>>power amp, and the 600a is on my radar but hard to find.

 

best,

 

o

post #825 of 1156
Quote:
Originally Posted by orkney View Post


Thanks for the report, WC, and glad you're still enjoying the setup -- OT, but how do you find the Lux power amp with the NAD? I'm thinking of moving from my M51>>Luxman integrated to M51>>power amp, and the 600a is on my radar but hard to find.

 

best,

 

o

 

The Lux with the NAD is absolutely sublime. Highly, highly recommended! Oh, and don't take 30wpc too literally. This beast has TONS of power. Grips my Ushers with a death grip.


Edited by woodcans - 3/30/13 at 5:48am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions