Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions - Page 53

post #781 of 1192

I'm not a fan of the pre amps / volume control being in my DACs.  I would rather them be build into the amp to take advantage of the superior analog volume control.  Although the NAD has one of the best digital volume control out there.  It's still not better than analog.  

 

Just my thoughts..

post #782 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

I'm not a fan of the pre amps / volume control being in my DACs.  I would rather them be build into the amp to take advantage of the superior analog volume control.  Although the NAD has one of the best digital volume control out there.  It's still not better than analog.  

 

Just my thoughts..

what do you gain with analogue volume control? Thanks Prepro..

post #783 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

what do you gain with analogue volume control? Thanks Prepro..

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjHKv2_OqQ

post #784 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTrewwye View Post

I look forward to your comparison of the D2 and M51!  Did my own some time back, would love to swop notes

I would literally pay you to share your impressions of your own comparison...please?
post #785 of 1192

It was some time back, lemme check the Anedio D2 thread.

 

EDIT: You actually saw it before!  here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/568758/anedio-d2-dac-release/1155#post_9000923


Edited by DTrewwye - 3/22/13 at 1:53am
post #786 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYjHKv2_OqQ

that was great! Thanks Preproman!

post #787 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post


I would literally pay you to share your impressions of your own comparison...please?

 

Right now the m51 is with Happy Camper.  He's doing the m51 vs. Lynx Hilo comparison first.  Then the m51 is going to SoupRKnowva so he can do his m51 vs. D2 comparison.  I can tell you this.  SoupRKnowva is not a big fan f the m51.

post #788 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cante Ista View Post

that was great! Thanks Preproman!

biggrin.gif

post #789 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

Right now the m51 is with Happy Camper.  He's doing the m51 vs. Lynx Hilo comparison first.  Then the m51 is going to SoupRKnowva so he can do his m51 vs. D2 comparison.  I can tell you this.  SoupRKnowva is not a big fan f the m51.


popcorn.gif

post #790 of 1192

It would be nice to have an android (or other mobile OSes) application to control the nad :)

I'm thinking of it because I'm lazy and I use smartphone with "squezeebox controller" to control Touch and other logitech players or to shutdown/restart/wake up computer with Logitech Media Server.

Of course additionally there must be a computer or other hardware (with server part of such application) that can receive commands from mobile and should be equipped with serial port to communicate with nad.

But it would be very nice :)


Edited by roger7 - 3/24/13 at 4:14am
post #791 of 1192

People have reported degraded SQ beyond firmware 1.39. Mine functions perfectly on that version and I love how it sounds. The only thing that would make me consider updating from 1.39 is DSD playback.

 

edit: I hate when people use edit to completely change their original post (eg the guy above). It distorts the context of the response.


Edited by olor1n - 3/24/13 at 8:19am
post #792 of 1192
Wow. Listening to this level of DAC makes hearing differences very hard. It's a learning experience. Putting the thing on the balanced side has blossomed to it's full sound. So far, pretty evenly matched. I'm learning to listen again so I'll not comment further until a few days of experience between the two have been done.
post #793 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Camper View Post

Wow. Listening to this level of DAC makes hearing differences very hard. It's a learning experience. Putting the thing on the balanced side has blossomed to it's full sound. So far, pretty evenly matched. I'm learning to listen again so I'll not comment further until a few days of experience between the two have been done.

Wait. You've been imparting impressions and you've gimped one of the components? Amateur shenanigans. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post

I would literally pay you to share your impressions of your own comparison...please?

Right now the m51 is with Happy Camper.  He's doing the m51 vs. Lynx Hilo comparison first.  Then the m51 is going to SoupRKnowva so he can do his m51 vs. D2 comparison.  I can tell you this.  SoupRKnowva is not a big fan f the m51.

I call shenanigans here too.
post #794 of 1192
Quote:
Originally Posted by olor1n View Post

I call shenanigans here too.

 

Ha ha ha  - Just where are these so called "shenanigans" specifically?

post #795 of 1192
Of all he's heard, prepro has yet to disclose his choices and opinions in confidence.

Amateur - guilty. redface.gif

That's what makes this of some merit. No experience with previous gear of note. Just a relative snapshot of time to a relative noob to this level of DACs (from a CAL Sigma II).

Prepro has generously offered time with 4) $2k+ DACs and nothing more. No agenda, no profit. Well, other than the listening experience. cool.gif

Project 86 warned this would be a hard task and I wouldn't find much difference but slight preferences.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions