Has anyone compared 1.39 to 1.43 in terms of SQ yet?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCAMBRIDGE - AZUR 851D DAC (BLACK)tagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
- productCAMBRIDGE - AZUR 851D DAC (SILVER)tagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/27/12
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 5/27/12
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productGrace Design m920tagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productNAD C 555itagged by System, 5/27/12
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by System, 5/27/12More
- productQuestyle CMA800R Current Mode Headphone Amplifier silvertagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
Related Forum Threads
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- DAC/amps with independent headphone and analog output levels? Last post on 4/18/16 at 1:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding Last post on 12/10/16 at 9:24pm in Dedicated Source Components
- New iMac, Neuman KH 120, AKG K702 & $2 000 for a DAC and Amp? Last post on 7/21/12 at 3:06am in Dedicated Source Components
- Asgard + Bifrost vs Grace m903 Last post on 4/1/13 at 11:55pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONEvery so often as a reviewer you get a surprise – something not quite expected. Sometimes its...
Hello, This is my first review on Head-Fi, or anywhere else for that matter. I will not go through the normal paces of creating a review based on the set pattern of product history, build and...
The detail, imaging, and sound-staging are accurate and bring your headphones the neutral platform they need in order to perform the way their engineers intended. The DAC is the high point of...
First Impression When I first listened to HD380Pro, I thought that I received a far more expensive headphone. After an hour or so of using them, I still felt that they sound better than...
Greetings Head-fi! In a past long gone, wireless audio was scoffed at for it's spotty connections, bulky modules, and compromised sound quality. Over the years technology has advanced and great...
NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions - Page 74post #1096 of 15464/10/14 at 9:43am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 15464/10/14 at 2:18pmpost #1098 of 15464/12/14 at 6:28am
I had 1.36 (I think - the dac was bought just about when it hit the stores and then never updated) and I recently upgraded the firmware. I can't really tell much of a difference - there might be a slightly wider sound stage and possibly some added oomph, but I'm pretty much sure that's placebo. There is NO way for me to be extremely sure, at least. Both my LCD-3's and my HD-800's sound pretty much the same.
At least I seem to have lost some strange jittery sounds when the DAC was set to 0 volume. I used to run it at -4, and there would be no strange noises. Now I run at -10, so I don't really know if I can hear differences anyways.
So far so good though - and I'm happy with the DAC. There is just no real reason for me to upgrade. I've tested some more expensive DACs, but I can't really tell them apart enough for them to warrant a 10.000 usd upgrade.post #1099 of 15464/15/14 at 2:00pmpost #1100 of 15464/15/14 at 6:02pmQuote:
Dynamic definitly not a problem with the M51 in my set up.post #1101 of 15464/15/14 at 7:35pmQuote:
Not a problem in my system either. What source and M51 input are you using?post #1102 of 15464/15/14 at 7:35pmpost #1103 of 15464/15/14 at 7:42pm
i emailed spearit sound where i bought my nad m51 and in turn they forwarded my email to NAD .
the reply :
Your M51 has the latest firmware installed V1.43. We do not recommend rolling the firmware back to an earlier version as this could “brick” your unit rendering in operative.post #1104 of 15464/15/14 at 7:43pmQuote:
my system is crazy good with the NAd M51post #1105 of 15464/16/14 at 5:08ampost #1106 of 15464/16/14 at 5:17amThe reason i complain about the dynamics is because, when i compared it to the Nuforce Dac-100, it was just not as lively. Every other aspect of the sound was better on the M51 though. It is probably due to the nature of the HD800 wich i'm most probably going to change for a pair of Hifiman HE560.post #1107 of 15464/17/14 at 4:54pmI have no qualms with the M51's dynamics either. To my ears the M51 is deft and able to show good contrasts of quite and loud.I upgraded from the Gungnir. That dac is lively and was a fun listen at times. However, I grew tired of its energy. I soon found it too "shouty" and lacking finesse.I've seen people describe the Gungnir as a dynamic dac. I disagree. To me it's actually dynamically compressed - just tuned to 11 on the dial most of the time. The M51 swings between 2 and 10 on the dynamics dial when called for. It's much more refined than lesser dacs.post #1108 of 15464/17/14 at 7:58pmQuote:
Problem must be downstream of the M51. Sounds like you're gonna address that. Hope it helps.
BTW; I preferred using the HDMI-out from my MBP (also Audirvana) and I got an extra improvement using thunderbolt to HDMI. Not your main issue though.post #1109 of 15464/18/14 at 1:36am
- NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view 8 seconds ago
- › ᗰᗩǤＩᑕ ===>>91+【8107216603 】 Online Girl Control Vashikaran... 26 seconds ago
- › Daman & Diu ,,ᗰᗩǤＩᑕ 91+【8107216603 】 Online black magic vashikaran... 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Review Tour starts right now!!---Android... 1 minute ago
- › [SOLD]FS: STAX SR-L700 [SOLD] 2 minutes ago
- › My new PC setup 2 minutes ago
- › iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions,... 2 minutes ago
- › pRem ~R O G 91+8107216603 Black magic for love Specialist... 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Xelento! 4 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by TwinACStacks
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by SOULSIK
- › Brainwavz B200 by earfonia
- › iBasso Audio DX200 Reference DAP by H20Fidelity
- › Focal Utopia by Aornic
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear