or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions - Page 74

post #1096 of 1540

Has anyone compared 1.39 to 1.43 in terms of SQ yet?

post #1097 of 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post
 

Has anyone compared 1.39 to 1.43 in terms of SQ yet?

No, but we will! No better opinions can be formed than that :rolleyes: rr

post #1098 of 1540

I had 1.36 (I think - the dac was bought just about when it hit the stores and then never updated) and I recently upgraded the firmware. I can't really tell much of a difference - there might be a slightly wider sound stage and possibly some added oomph, but I'm pretty much sure that's placebo. There is NO way for me to be extremely sure, at least. Both my LCD-3's and my HD-800's sound pretty much the same. 

 

At least I seem to have lost some strange jittery sounds when the DAC was set to 0 volume. I used to run it at -4, and there would be no strange noises. Now I run at -10, so I don't really know if I can hear differences anyways. 

 

So far so good though - and I'm happy with the DAC. There is just no real reason for me to upgrade. I've tested some more expensive DACs, but I can't really tell them apart enough for them to warrant a 10.000 usd upgrade. 

post #1099 of 1540
Does anyone else think the M51 could be a little bit more dynamic? I'm not sure whether the Nad or the rest of my system is to blame.
post #1100 of 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post

Does anyone else think the M51 could be a little bit more dynamic? I'm not sure whether the Nad or the rest of my system is to blame.

Dynamic definitly not a problem with the M51 in my set up. 

post #1101 of 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post

Does anyone else think the M51 could be a little bit more dynamic? I'm not sure whether the Nad or the rest of my system is to blame.

Not a problem in my system either.  What source and M51 input are you using?

post #1102 of 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post
 

Has anyone compared 1.39 to 1.43 in terms of SQ yet?

I had 1.42 and downgraded to 1.39.  I think 1.39 sounds better.  Haven't tried 1.43.

post #1103 of 1540

i emailed spearit sound where i bought my nad m51 and in turn they forwarded my email to NAD . 

 

the reply :

 

Your M51 has the latest firmware installed V1.43. We do not recommend rolling the firmware back to an earlier version as this could “brick” your unit rendering in operative. 

post #1104 of 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post

Does anyone else think the M51 could be a little bit more dynamic? I'm not sure whether the Nad or the rest of my system is to blame.

my system is crazy good with the NAd M51

post #1105 of 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOz View Post

Not a problem in my system either.  What source and M51 input are you using?

I'm using a macbook pro retina (with Audirvana) and a generic usb cable.
post #1106 of 1540
The reason i complain about the dynamics is because, when i compared it to the Nuforce Dac-100, it was just not as lively. Every other aspect of the sound was better on the M51 though. It is probably due to the nature of the HD800 wich i'm most probably going to change for a pair of Hifiman HE560.
post #1107 of 1540
I have no qualms with the M51's dynamics either. To my ears the M51 is deft and able to show good contrasts of quite and loud.
 
I upgraded from the Gungnir. That dac is lively and was a fun listen at times. However, I grew tired of its energy. I soon found it too "shouty" and lacking finesse.
 
I've seen people describe the Gungnir as a dynamic dac. I disagree. To me it's actually dynamically compressed - just tuned to 11 on the dial most of the time. The M51 swings between 2 and 10 on the dynamics dial when called for. It's much more refined than lesser dacs.
post #1108 of 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoD6 View Post


I'm using a macbook pro retina (with Audirvana) and a generic usb cable.

Problem must be downstream of the M51. Sounds like you're gonna address that. Hope it helps.

BTW;  I preferred using the HDMI-out from my MBP (also Audirvana) and I got an extra improvement using thunderbolt to HDMI. Not your main issue though.

post #1109 of 1540
I had no such issues with my M51.

I read a review of the NuForce that described it as "very dynamic".

If that's your preference, was it wise to change to a very neutral dac?
post #1110 of 1540
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwdriver View Post
 

my system is crazy good with the NAd M51

Who recommended the M51 to you again?  :cool:

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Dedicated Source Components › NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions