Has anyone compared 1.39 to 1.43 in terms of SQ yet?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productCAMBRIDGE - AZUR 851D DAC (BLACK)tagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
- productCAMBRIDGE - AZUR 851D DAC (SILVER)tagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/27/12
- productDangerous Music Sourcetagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
- categoryDedicated Source Componentstagged by System, 5/27/12
- productEmotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DACtagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
- productGrace Design m903 reference headphone amplifier / DACtagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productGrace Design m920tagged by AudioMan612, 12/17/14
- productNAD C 555itagged by System, 5/27/12
- productNAD M51 DACtagged by System, 5/27/12More
- productQuestyle CMA800R Current Mode Headphone Amplifier silvertagged by AudioMan612, 12/28/14
Related Forum Threads
- December 2013 Mid-Level DAC Comparison Last post on 1/10/14 at 7:49pm in Dedicated Source Components
- DAC/amps with independent headphone and analog output levels? Last post on 4/18/16 at 1:07pm in Dedicated Source Components
- New Grace Design m920 DAC/amp with DSD decoding Last post on Yesterday at 4:03 am in Dedicated Source Components
- New iMac, Neuman KH 120, AKG K702 & $2 000 for a DAC and Amp? Last post on 7/21/12 at 3:06am in Dedicated Source Components
- Asgard + Bifrost vs Grace m903 Last post on 4/1/13 at 11:55pm in Dedicated Source Components
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: Yesterday
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
Vibro Labs - Maya Review November 2016 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Firstly a thanks to Ejong7 & Luke Pighetti @ Vibro labs for...
The Tri-Vista 21 was a limited edition DAC sold in late 2004, early 2005. It was massively overbuilt - great power supply and output stage, and ran extremely long life 5703 milspec tubes, which are...
This headphone has a quite good sound quality for its price. Its sound is very clear, the mids and highs are well detailled. The bass is tight but some recordings sound lacking bass. It needed a...
Gratitude and greetings go out to RHA Team and @Glassmonkey - thank you so much for giving me the...
Recently got ordered these Mee AudioRunaway on-ear headphones as I had some wellness program points that were going to expire. I have had the MEE audio M-Duo Dual Dynamic Driver In-Ear Headphones...
NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions - Page 74post #1096 of 15404/10/14 at 9:43am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #1097 of 15404/10/14 at 2:18pmpost #1098 of 15404/12/14 at 6:28am
I had 1.36 (I think - the dac was bought just about when it hit the stores and then never updated) and I recently upgraded the firmware. I can't really tell much of a difference - there might be a slightly wider sound stage and possibly some added oomph, but I'm pretty much sure that's placebo. There is NO way for me to be extremely sure, at least. Both my LCD-3's and my HD-800's sound pretty much the same.
At least I seem to have lost some strange jittery sounds when the DAC was set to 0 volume. I used to run it at -4, and there would be no strange noises. Now I run at -10, so I don't really know if I can hear differences anyways.
So far so good though - and I'm happy with the DAC. There is just no real reason for me to upgrade. I've tested some more expensive DACs, but I can't really tell them apart enough for them to warrant a 10.000 usd upgrade.post #1099 of 15404/15/14 at 2:00pmpost #1100 of 15404/15/14 at 6:02pmQuote:
Dynamic definitly not a problem with the M51 in my set up.post #1101 of 15404/15/14 at 7:35pmQuote:
Not a problem in my system either. What source and M51 input are you using?post #1102 of 15404/15/14 at 7:35pmpost #1103 of 15404/15/14 at 7:42pm
i emailed spearit sound where i bought my nad m51 and in turn they forwarded my email to NAD .
the reply :
Your M51 has the latest firmware installed V1.43. We do not recommend rolling the firmware back to an earlier version as this could “brick” your unit rendering in operative.post #1104 of 15404/15/14 at 7:43pmQuote:
my system is crazy good with the NAd M51post #1105 of 15404/16/14 at 5:08ampost #1106 of 15404/16/14 at 5:17amThe reason i complain about the dynamics is because, when i compared it to the Nuforce Dac-100, it was just not as lively. Every other aspect of the sound was better on the M51 though. It is probably due to the nature of the HD800 wich i'm most probably going to change for a pair of Hifiman HE560.post #1107 of 15404/17/14 at 4:54pmI have no qualms with the M51's dynamics either. To my ears the M51 is deft and able to show good contrasts of quite and loud.I upgraded from the Gungnir. That dac is lively and was a fun listen at times. However, I grew tired of its energy. I soon found it too "shouty" and lacking finesse.I've seen people describe the Gungnir as a dynamic dac. I disagree. To me it's actually dynamically compressed - just tuned to 11 on the dial most of the time. The M51 swings between 2 and 10 on the dynamics dial when called for. It's much more refined than lesser dacs.post #1108 of 15404/17/14 at 7:58pmQuote:
Problem must be downstream of the M51. Sounds like you're gonna address that. Hope it helps.
BTW; I preferred using the HDMI-out from my MBP (also Audirvana) and I got an extra improvement using thunderbolt to HDMI. Not your main issue though.post #1109 of 15404/18/14 at 1:36am
- NAD M51 Direct Digital DAC Impressions
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › Audeze LCD-X 26 seconds ago
- › K5, FiiO's new docking desktop amp. How do you like it? Update... 26 seconds ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 40 seconds ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 51 seconds ago
- › JVC HA-FX1200 vs JVC HA-FW01 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 4 minutes ago
- › Blox earbuds Discussion (TM7, M2C, ANV3, BE3/BE5/BE7) 5 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 5 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 6 minutes ago
- › Vibro Labs Maya quad armature in-ear monitors by FortisFlyer75
- › Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC by davehg
- › AKG K 420 Foldable Mini Headphone - Blue by Johannus
- › RHA Dacamp L1 by Takeanidea
- › MEElectronics Air-Fi AF32 Stereo Bluetooth Wireless Headphones with... by e07015
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by dnun8086
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by MentalDraco
- › Klipsch R6m Black In Ear Headphone by 1mctous
- › ampsandsound Kenzie Headphone Amplifier by Smazz
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD Black Label by glassmonkey
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear