Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-M50 - What's all the fuss about?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Audio Technica ATH-M50 - What's all the fuss about? - Page 5

post #61 of 82

Could just be minor production variances that yield noticeable differences in impressions.  My white boxed M50S was great.

post #62 of 82

Having heard and owned both blue-box and white-box variants of the ATH-M50 (though no special editions), I can confirm that the earlier version had more bass emphasis and much more recessed mids. The later version is still a bit recessed to my ears, though, if much improved from the old, bassy version.

post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post

Having heard and owned both blue-box and white-box variants of the ATH-M50 (though no special editions), I can confirm that the earlier version had more bass emphasis and much more recessed mids. The later version is still a bit recessed to my ears, though, if much improved from the old, bassy version.

mine were white box straight cable, the recessed mids are noticeable.
post #64 of 82
even though I wasnt around when the m50 was getting rave reviews, I believe they were around $100 when they first released. this is a pretty good value for what they give you, assuming you are into their sound sig.

from my limited exp with the m50, I didn't find the mids to be extremely recessed, but clearly not forward in any way whatsoever.
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil3nce View Post


Ps: The m50s on commute? You are a brave man biggrin.gif among all the Beats-users. I'm sure a few have given you condescending looks.


I give all Beats-users the evil eye.

post #66 of 82

yes, this is all relative. M50' mids may not be as recessed as some other phones, but in my collection, they are on the more recessed side.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llloyd View Post

even though I wasnt around when the m50 was getting rave reviews, I believe they were around $100 when they first released. this is a pretty good value for what they give you, assuming you are into their sound sig.

from my limited exp with the m50, I didn't find the mids to be extremely recessed, but clearly not forward in any way whatsoever.


 

post #67 of 82

Ath M50 the recessed king

Warning don't fall to the hype

post #68 of 82

I had a pair and was definitely disappointed by them. They were stolen and it took me a couple weeks to even notice, ha. Hopefully the person that got them enjoys them more than I did.

post #69 of 82

I am looking to upgrade from my Sony MDR XB-500s. I thought the M50s would be a good choice because of the improved clarity without sacrificing all of the bass. However, the idea of overly recessed mids kind of turns me off. Does anybody have any recommendations? I listen to a variety of music including a lot of hip hop and electronic music so I don't want to sacrifice too much bass extension or impact.

post #70 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverguy View Post

I am looking to upgrade from my Sony MDR XB-500s. I thought the M50s would be a good choice because of the improved clarity without sacrificing all of the bass. However, the idea of overly recessed mids kind of turns me off. Does anybody have any recommendations? I listen to a variety of music including a lot of hip hop and electronic music so I don't want to sacrifice too much bass extension or impact.

 

Try ultrasone HFI models, they do a better job than M50. 

post #71 of 82

My M50's mids don't sound recessed. And to say that the HFI models do a "better job" is a pretty silly statement. They both have their strengths, the HFI's being better bass, the M50's being better all-rounders with better treble.

post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by invalid404 View Post

My M50's mids don't sound recessed. And to say that the HFI models do a "better job" is a pretty silly statement. They both have their strengths, the HFI's being better bass, the M50's being better all-rounders with better treble.

 

M50's have overpowered bass mate confused.gif the HFI-580 focus on mids with a tight bass response, without being bloated. 

 

your point is "invalid" wink.gif

post #73 of 82

I have the M50s "white box" and, to my ears, bass is not at all overempowered, nor are the mids quite so recessed (a little bit, not as much as I've read here). They're actually pretty great headphones, and I think most flaming comes from people who has not actually heard them, just like they were getting undeserved hype, now they're getting  undeserved hate.

 

Their greatest flaw is the harsh highs IMO, but it's not such a problem. I actually find it suprising that people finds the bass overemphasized, sure it's strong, but all my other headphones have even stronger bass.

 

I guess every ear is absolutely different.

post #74 of 82

I think "all the fuss" is about the fact that these sound fantastic for the price point. Personally I think if they had a little better separation they'd best the DT770''s. They certainly beat them in the Bass dept. All in all a great buy with great bass and useful for many genres of music. THAT'S what all the fuss is about. Show me a better phone for $129.00.... wink.gif

post #75 of 82
It doesn't sound list you've spent much time with burnt in M50's
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecourier View Post

M50's have overpowered bass mate confused.gif
 the HFI-580 focus on mids with a tight bass response, without being bloated. 

your point is "invalid" wink.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Audio Technica ATH-M50 - What's all the fuss about?