Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › A discussion about phones and tablets
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

A discussion about phones and tablets - Page 9  

post #121 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Lemon View Post

The problem I have with the benchmarks is that I haven't seen that translated into real world differences. My mom has a 4S and it seems similar in terms of performance to my phone. Mind you, I haven't really done anything demanding on her phone but it seems to perform similarly to my phone doing the same/similar tasks. Of course, the important comparison would be between using really demanding tasks to see a difference. I just can't say I've seen the iphone do anything that a high end android device couldn't handle similarly.

 

I will admit that apple clearly does a better job of getting more from the hardware used. As discussed before, I also think this is partially at the sacrifice of some advantages of android.

well duh of course it is hard. it's like asking if most people will see a differnce loading Google.com if one had a 400Mb/s @ 10ms ping responce time and another 100Mb/s @ 10ms ping respone time...it's fast enough that menial tasks don't really show.

 

yeah the second point is true, and it's due to their closed loop system. Android had to sacrifice performnace with JVM by going wih dvm

 

download "epic citadel" on ur moms iphone right now, its free and was a last yrs graphics demo. check out the AA, reflections and color. Getting infinity blade 2, rage, and real racing 2 will eally show you iphones guts in action
 

 

post #122 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


that is a lot more true in the desktop world. in the mobile world, so many factors get thrown out that benchmarks mean a lot more. They all use the same CPU with little avriants and speeds in differnt Soc Packages

 

it's more consistent in mobile..a lot more since everything gets stripped away
 

 


you are wrong - sorry to say.

Had a lot of experience with benchmarking my phone - inconsistent results, bias results, not really showing what the phone can do.

 

 

post #123 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

well duh of course it is hard. it's like asking if most people will see a differnce loading Google.com if one had a 400Mb/s @ 10ms ping responce time and another 100Mb/s @ 10ms ping respone time...it's fast enough that menial tasks don't really show.

 

yeah the second point is true, and it's due to their closed loop system. Android had to sacrifice performnace with JVM by going wih dvm

 

download "epic citadel" on ur moms iphone right now, its free and was a last yrs graphics demo. check out the AA, reflections and color. Getting infinity blade 2, rage, and real racing 2 will eally show you iphones guts in action
 

 

The best and ONLY way is to use both phones heavily for 1 month each.
 

 

 

post #124 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post


you are wrong - sorry to say.

Had a lot of experience with benchmarking my phone - inconsistent results, bias results, not really showing what the phone can do.

 

 


i have always gotten consistent results and the android users on stable standard roms have been too

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

The best and ONLY way is to use both phones heavily for 1 month each.
 

 

 

i would not agree to that. how would that show performance? on android devices vs android devices it would as the OS is the same but with differnt OS coding and cpu acceleration in different parts it's hard to compare. and thus if we were just to compare gaming performance...iOS would be at an unfair advantage.
 

 

post #125 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


i have always gotten consistent results and the android users on stable standard roms have been too

 

i would not agree to that. how would that show performance? on android devices vs android devices it would as the OS is the same but with differnt OS coding and cpu acceleration in different parts it's hard to compare. and thus if we were just to compare gaming performance...iOS would be at an unfair advantage.
 

 


How would that show performance?

It would show it by seeing if it laggs or not - how fast you feel multi tasking is etc.

End of the day - what do you value more:
Some numbers

Or you yourself testing both?

 

 

post #126 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post


How would that show performance?

It would show it by seeing if it laggs or not - how fast you feel multi tasking is etc.

End of the day - what do you value more:
Some numbers

Or you yourself testing both?

 

 

 

but when iOS has more fludity than Android.. especially in the photo apps
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/07/former_google_intern_explains_why_ui_lag_occurs_more_often_in_android_than_ios/

 

post #127 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

but when iOS has more fludity than Android.. especially in the photo apps

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/12/07/former_google_intern_explains_why_ui_lag_occurs_more_often_in_android_than_ios/

 


As i said - how many devices?

 

PS.

From apple insider

+

an intern...

 

A lot to go on? lol

I'll rad it when i have time

 

 

post #128 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post


As i said - how many devices?

 

PS.

From apple insider

+

an intern...

 

A lot to go on? lol

I'll rad it when i have time

 

 

what do you mean how many devices?
 

 

post #129 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post

what do you mean how many devices?
 

 

iphone, ipad, ipod.

 

samsung, htc...etc
 

 

 

post #130 of 163

A quick search reveals that that intern made some errors with his comments and openly admits that he was incorrect about his conclusions. He also provides some links to better sources that correct his errors.

 

While some of his comments may have held some accuracy, I think this is a clear example of why sites that publish news/articles should do better at investigating their sources and fact checking. As TD mentioned, I would have been immediately skeptical about the credentials of an undergraduate intern.

post #131 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post

iphone, ipad, ipod.

 

samsung, htc...etc
 

 

 



you mean i have used or own?



Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Lemon View Post

A quick search reveals that that intern made some errors with his comments and openly admits that he was incorrect about his conclusions. He also provides some links to better sources that correct his errors.

 

While some of his comments may have held some accuracy, I think this is a clear example of why sites that publish news/articles should do better at investigating their sources and fact checking. As TD mentioned, I would have been immediately skeptical about the credentials of an undergraduate intern.


I didn't search it up but i believe you. same was said about the guy that falsefaid claims of what he saw at foxconn

 

post #132 of 163
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Lemon View Post

A quick search reveals that that intern made some errors with his comments and openly admits that he was incorrect about his conclusions. He also provides some links to better sources that correct his errors.

 

While some of his comments may have held some accuracy, I think this is a clear example of why sites that publish news/articles should do better at investigating their sources and fact checking. As TD mentioned, I would have been immediately skeptical about the credentials of an undergraduate intern.


that said I'm an intern too - so take my advice with a grain of salt :D!

 

But, hey at least I have 1.2millnio views to back it up with ;)

PS. What got me sceptical is what site it was posted on...

If it was on...i dunno engaget/cnet or something - then OK.

But imagine:
4s is proved to be slower by apple intern

On the androidforlife forums....:/

 

 

post #133 of 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed View Post


that said I'm an intern too - so take my advice with a grain of salt :D!

 

But, hey at least I have 1.2millnio views to back it up with ;)

PS. What got me sceptical is what site it was posted on...

If it was on...i dunno engaget/cnet or something - then OK.

But imagine:
4s is proved to be slower by apple intern

On the androidforlife forums....:/

 

 


if you actually read the articles..they are the most unbiased articles i have ever read/

 

post #134 of 163
People actually take Engaget/Cnet's word? I still remember how everyone pre-ordering the HTC 3D phone or something, which everyone claim it was world first 3D phone. Where on my hand is my Sharp SH-10C with a ASV 3D screen. So is all the phone MP claims of being world first, I found them laughable.
post #135 of 163

No one takes CNet but Engadget still has some reputation amongst the tech blogosphere.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
This thread is locked  
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Misc.-Category Forums › Members' Lounge (General Discussion) › A discussion about phones and tablets