Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added... - Page 59

post #871 of 2193
Thread Starter 

By the way lee, when you open the amp up do you have to unscrew the volume knob off too or will the front plate slide out with the guts once I remove the 2 front screws?

post #872 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

When I finally get my CLAS I'm so naming her Medusa

 

700


How about Sedusa? ;).

post #873 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

 I definitely need to find a better storage solution now.

Perhaps this may be of help:

 

http://www.earplugstore.com/westone-monitor-vaults.html

 

smily_headphones1.gif

post #874 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalFreak View Post

Dude, I was barely able to make out the square solder mark in the corner never mind trying to read the microscopic print on a black background. This weekend I'm scrounging around the stores for a magnifying glass. Eva seems to be one demanding lady, thus far I've got an extractor, 2 extra sets of op amps and I still need to get a good mini screwdriver, something decent to properly store the op amps in and now a magnifying glass.

 

Use a Sharpie to draw a line on the box lid, and then write the names of each set of op-amps on each side. Then you know what you have without having to poke around much. You'll still probably need a magnifying glass to install/remove the op-amps anyway, just to get their orientations correct.

 

It's a big of a nuisance, but this is better than plastic cases because many of them are electrostatic discharge risks, and if the chips are stored loosely they could get their legs bent and damaged by banging around. Cardboard also breathes, which helps regulate humidity. The cardboard boxes are pretty close to optimal even if they don't look like it. They don't need a lot of protection as long as you're common-sensical about keeping them, though they are delicate and can't be treated like random other bits of cables and plugs either.

post #875 of 2193

The DAC section is a decent one but keep in mind there is much better out there in terms of sound quality. The amp section however is the UHA6 MKII strong point and the only reason I bought it. The DAC is a disappointment in my book compared to my other DACs.
 

post #876 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post

The DAC section is a decent one but keep in mind there is much better out there in terms of sound quality. The amp section however is the UHA6 MKII strong point and the only reason I bought it. The DAC is a disappointment in my book compared to my other DACs.
 

I am sure to your ears this DAC leaves something to be desired. This is not the Cirrus Logic chip in the iPhone. This is the flagship chip used in Harmon Kardon and Marantz equipment; I have owned both brands in my home audio and like the sound of them. If I had actually researched this in the first place it would have made my search time less and my decision easier.

 

I do not know what DAC you find to be substantially better, but I honestly do not think I would be able to tell the difference; especially given that I listen to 320Kbps MP3's. As a matter of fact, aside from this thread, I have not seen a single bad thing said about the CS4398.

 

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point; you personally own equipment where the DAC sounds better. It just feels after reading your posts that you have something against Cirrus Logic as being a high end DAC provider. I just happen to disagree based on the research I have recently done. Now that I know I have heard this DAC in audio equipment I have auditioned for my home audio system, I have full confidence in the quality of this DAC. To each his own...


Edited by theque - 11/21/12 at 7:49pm
post #877 of 2193

Tend to agree with theque here. This is a very high quality DAC, and from the point of view of its measured performance it will not be distinguishable from most other good DACs out there (whose measurable performance is, in almost all cases, well outside the limits of human hearing). Whether its sound subjectively gels with one person or another is an entirely different matter.

post #878 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by theque View Post

especially given that I listen to 320Kbps MP3's

More than likely there is already so much detail lost in that process that any that a DAC might matter is swamped by it. So long as you don't preach to others that "DACs are all the same" to those with higher-quality source material, you have probably made an excellent choice.  

post #879 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsf View Post

More than likely there is already so much detail lost in that process that any that a DAC might matter is swamped by it. So long as you don't preach to others that "DACs are all the same" to those with higher-quality source material, you have probably made an excellent choice.  

 

I would argue "So much detail lost...", other than that I agree there are differences in DAC's. However, I have heard this DAC in action on the Marantz SA8004 SACD last year while I was auditioning gear for my home system.. If you do not think that is high quality source material, I am not sure what is.

 

With that. any minor differences in flagship DAC's would certainly be less than the differences between SACD and 320Kbps LAME.

post #880 of 2193
Thread Starter 

Guys guys guys, Eva with op amp OPA627AP paired with the DT1350 @#$%&ing rocks the roof off the house!!!!! That loaded treble which can be quite aggressive with certain recordings and the energetic upper mid which can be sibilant it all gets tamed down with OPA627AP. The great thing about it is there's still plenty of sparkle in the highs and detail in the mids. It's like having the best of both worlds, detailed and smooth. I'm going to throw some more music at this new combo and see what happens, stay tuned for a detail report


Edited by DigitalFreak - 11/21/12 at 9:11pm
post #881 of 2193
I think both sides have missed an important point and that's the implementation of the Dac (rather than which Dac chip is used). I like the CS Dac chip and it is a very good chip. However, one will be able to get a better sound when the uha6smkii is paired with a better implemented Dac unit (even if it uses the CS chip also).

320kbps is good enough. The 'lost details' during the lossy compression are not noticeable most of the time unless one tries to do an intensive side by side comparison (which he then may or may not be able to then identify the differences).
post #882 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post

I think both sides have missed an important point and that's the implementation of the Dac (rather than which Dac chip is used). I like the CS Dac chip and it is a very good chip. However, one will be able to get a better sound when the uha6smkii is paired with a better implemented Dac unit (even if it uses the CS chip also).

320kbps is good enough. The 'lost details' during the lossy compression are not noticeable most of the time unless one tries to do an intensive side by side comparison (which he then may or may not be able to then identify the differences).

I agree about implementation. With that, Nick Leckerton is an application and implementation engineer for Cirrus Logic. As I said in my post, I am sure he is one of the better in the industry at implementation of DAC's, let alone Cirrus Logic DAC's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
post #883 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by theque View Post

I agree about implementation. With that, Nick Leckerton is an application and implementation engineer for Cirrus Logic. As I said in my post, I am sure he is one of the better in the industry at implementation of DAC's, let alone Cirrus Logic DAC's
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I know about his day job and I certainly wish and want to believe that that is true. However, it really leaves much to be desired when compared to other DACs out there at the similar price range. I felt that 90% of his effort went into the headamp section and only the remaining went into the DAC stage.

The amp could hold its feet against other amps of much higher price but the DAC cannot even hold its feet against other DAC of its price.
post #884 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by uelover View Post


I know about his day job and I certainly wish and want to believe that that is true. However, it really leaves much to be desired when compared to other DACs out there at the similar price range. I felt that 90% of his effort went into the headamp section and only the remaining went into the DAC stage.
The amp could hold its feet against other amps of much higher price but the DAC cannot even hold its feet against other DAC of its price.

 

I guess I will find out myself in a few days...

post #885 of 2193
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZtechfreak View Post

Tend to agree with theque here. This is a very high quality DAC, and from the point of view of its measured performance it will not be distinguishable from most other good DACs out there (whose measurable performance is, in almost all cases, well outside the limits of human hearing). Whether its sound subjectively gels with one person or another is an entirely different matter.


The DACport LX and the DX100 Sabre DAC are significantly better sounding IMO. Much more refined. Better detail IMO, more organic, natural sounding. Sound staging is better in them as well. The Cirrus Logic is more fatiguing, edgy, harsh in comparison. Both the DACport and Sabre DAC are noticeably more transparent than the Cirrus Logic as well. This is even noticeable on high bit rate mp3s (which I don't use very often BTW). Also I don't have bias against Cirrus Logic. I actually think the DAC in the iphone is pretty good. The sound quality on the iphone4 is the best I've heard out of any ipod so far. But it is what it is and I call it as I see it, or rather hear it. The product has it's benefits but it also has it limits in terms of sound quality.


Edited by lee730 - 11/22/12 at 1:32am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)