Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added... - Page 21

post #301 of 2186

Yes, the DAC is good - its just that people like to compare to higher priced DACs. The USB input on the DAC is at a lower bit rate (still CD quality) while the digital input has a higher sample rate 24/96, so the criticism is also comparing the USB option to higher bit rate DACs as well.

 

I think having a good amp should be your first priority IMHO. 

post #302 of 2186

I recently upgraded my portable headphones, so it seems a corresponding upgrade in my portable setup is in order. I've pretty much settled on the UHA-6S because of the raves it gets from some trusted ears here. 

 

My question is, does anyone use a DAP that can be used as a transport to take advantage of the UHA's DAC? I'm using an iPod Classic and Sansa Clip+ as my DAPs most of the time and it seems a bit of a waste to let the DAC section of the UHA go unused other than rare laptop listening. I would definitely be open to going a different direction for my DAP if it's capable of doing that. 

 

My apologies in advance if this question has been asked/answered already.

post #303 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questhate View Post

I recently upgraded my portable headphones, so it seems a corresponding upgrade in my portable setup is in order. I've pretty much settled on the UHA-6S because of the raves it gets from some trusted ears here. 

 

My question is, does anyone use a DAP that can be used as a transport to take advantage of the UHA's DAC? I'm using an iPod Classic and Sansa Clip+ as my DAPs most of the time and it seems a bit of a waste to let the DAC section of the UHA go unused other than rare laptop listening. I would definitely be open to going a different direction for my DAP if it's capable of doing that. 

 

My apologies in advance if this question has been asked/answered already.

 

I just asked this question in the portable source gear section. I think that the only options are the old iriver ihp-120 and the Hifiman players. You can get around the ipod lineout through the expensive algorhythm solo and fostex hp-p1. Those are the portable solutions. 

post #304 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

 

Thanks for the patient responses, guys. I have a follow-up question. From what you've said, the amp section seems to be great while the DAC is at least good to really good. But here is the main question: Is my best bang for the buck to find an excellent DAC and good amp OR an excellent amp and really good DAC, especially since I'm looking at the Westone 4, which is not that hard to drive? I'm not wanting to get off topic, but this is at least pertinent for those who are wondering if the UHA-6S MII as a jack of all trades, one stop solution. My main concern is whether the DAC is good enough to be where I listen to 90% of my music! 


Well if you are spoiled like me then no. But if you don't have a DAC that is better than it then hell ya! My expectations are set high because the DACport LX is that good. Even if the UHA6 didn't have the DAC I would still pay $300 for its amp section. It is just that good. There really isn't anything in its price range that beats it and that is being flat out honest. Even the more expensive amps will have a hard time keeping up with this amp. Supposedly only the new ALO III is more transparent and it is more than double the price, yet you are not getting double its performance. You aren't getting much more to be honest and paying a lot more for a lot less.


Edited by lee730 - 8/23/12 at 3:03pm
post #305 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post

 

I just asked this question in the portable source gear section. I think that the only options are the old iriver ihp-120 and the Hifiman players. You can get around the ipod lineout through the expensive algorhythm solo and fostex hp-p1. Those are the portable solutions. 

 

Ahh, okay. Thanks for the info. 

 

I guess I'll also keep an eye out for the Android players (likely the one based on the GSIII), since folks are having some luck getting USB audio with their GSIII's. 

post #306 of 2186

Lee, I believe you man. That DACport would be the first thing I'd look at considering your opinion about it.

 

As far as the UHA-6 and all other portable DACs, it is a bummer that you really can only use it as an amp for truly portable use. I'm hoping someone comes out with a digital out player before too long without tacking on their own DAC and charging $300+ for it. In the mean time, my iMod is doing just fine. But I know others would like to use the DAC and amp portably.

post #307 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

As far as the UHA-6 and all other portable DACs, it is a bummer that you really can only use it as an amp for truly portable use. I'm hoping someone comes out with a digital out player before too long without tacking on their own DAC and charging $300+ for it. In the mean time, my iMod is doing just fine. But I know others would like to use the DAC and amp portably.


Seriously. You think if there is enough of a market for so many portable DACs, there would also be a market for a portable DACless player. 

post #308 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

Lee, I believe you man. That DACport would be the first thing I'd look at considering your opinion about it.

 

As far as the UHA-6 and all other portable DACs, it is a bummer that you really can only use it as an amp for truly portable use. I'm hoping someone comes out with a digital out player before too long without tacking on their own DAC and charging $300+ for it. In the mean time, my iMod is doing just fine. But I know others would like to use the DAC and amp portably.


Fiio may but it off but it may be cutting it close to the $300 mark. The X3 is back on, not sure if you are aware of that :).

post #309 of 2186
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

Lee, I believe you man. That DACport would be the first thing I'd look at considering your opinion about it.

 

As far as the UHA-6 and all other portable DACs, it is a bummer that you really can only use it as an amp for truly portable use. I'm hoping someone comes out with a digital out player before too long without tacking on their own DAC and charging $300+ for it. In the mean time, my iMod is doing just fine. But I know others would like to use the DAC and amp portably.

Samsung does make a DAP and if I remember right it also had SD card support but I doubt it has digital USB out like the SIII has. If they would implement that on their DAP it could be what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 View Post


Fiio may but it off but it may be cutting it close to the $300 mark. The X3 is back on, not sure if you are aware of that :).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that player sounds great and they don't screw it up.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post


Seriously. You think if there is enough of a market for so many portable DACs, there would also be a market for a portable DACless player. 

Agreed, life would be a lot easier if there was something like that on the market.

post #310 of 2186

OT but did anyone guess which is the "competitor amp" in this comparison http://www.leckertonaudio.com/2011/01/uha-6s-harmonic-distortion/?

post #311 of 2186

It's in my cart... So close to hitting that checkout button! The two-year warranty is really nice, too. 

 

Edit: Bought! 

 

Not trying to get off topic. If I'm starting from scratch, re-ripping every cd from apple lossless to flac, what media player do you recommend for the windows platform that will play nicely with the UHA-6 MKII? Does it matter?


Edited by imackler - 8/24/12 at 9:16am
post #312 of 2186

Congrats! You won't be disappointed. What version of Windows do you have? Foobar is my preferred player. If you have XP, there is an extra download that defeats the kernel audio mixer which degrades the sound. Although Foobar says its not necessary anymore, so I'll let others explain that if its still relevant.

post #313 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

Congrats! You won't be disappointed. What version of Windows do you have? Foobar is my preferred player. If you have XP, there is an extra download that defeats the kernel audio mixer which degrades the sound. Although Foobar says its not necessary anymore, so I'll let others explain that if its still relevant

 

Vista at work and 7 at home. I should be fine then? 

post #314 of 2186

Yes, no issues there with having to add anything. This is what you want Foobar 2000

post #315 of 2186
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

Yes, no issues there with having to add anything. This is what you want Foobar 2000

 

Thanks a ton! (And thanks to the rest for patience with the thread hijacking. So stoked!) 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)