or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012) - Page 155

post #2311 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post

I agree with all of the sentiments. The 6S is truly special and at a very reasonable price.


Judging by your sig, glad to see someone else uses the OPA209s.  Can't see me parting with this unit.

post #2312 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by UELong View Post


Judging by your sig, glad to see someone else uses the OPA209s.  Can't see me parting with this unit.

I agree opa209 is awesome, especially when paird with the compatible source.
post #2313 of 2329

Both this and the Fiio X3ii have the same dac chip. I'd be really interested if anyone has compared the Fiio X3ii>LO>6s-Mkii (as amp) to just the 6S-Mkii (as dac/amp combo)... Before getting the amp, I'd like to hear impressions if there is a positive or negative difference compared to the line out of the X3ii before purchasing. There doesn't seem to be much doubt that the amp section of the 6S-Mkii will be an improvement, but I'm wondering how the dac function compares to other entry level dacs/daps. 

post #2314 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by imackler View Post
 

Both this and the Fiio X3ii have the same dac chip. I'd be really interested if anyone has compared the Fiio X3ii>LO>6s-Mkii (as amp) to just the 6S-Mkii (as dac/amp combo)... Before getting the amp, I'd like to hear impressions if there is a positive or negative difference compared to the line out of the X3ii before purchasing. There doesn't seem to be much doubt that the amp section of the 6S-Mkii will be an improvement, but I'm wondering how the dac function compares to other entry level dacs/daps. 

I only had the X5I and used the 6MKII as an amp.  It made me realize how great the amp section of the UHA is.  I tried the co-ax connection, but I have quite a few 192k/s files that wouldn't be recognized by the DAC.  I keep it for its amp quality.  If I recall, Nick used to work for TI who make the Cirus DAC chips and therefore should know how to implement it competantly.  Don't suppose this helps much, but, thought I'd try.

post #2315 of 2329
I have since a few weeks an amb m3 amp with opa627ap. Have to admit i love the sound signature with my full size cans a well as with my iems ex1000, jh13fp.

I'm now looking for a portable amp providing the experience the m3 provides. Seems like the Uha6 (with opa4627 or opa627) could provide... Or would the portaphile micro provide what i'm looking for? Had also shortlisted de alo rx iem.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers
post #2316 of 2329

Calling Nick!!  Still looking for the amp-only SMALLER version of the 6S-Mk II.  Velcro and sticking this to my iPhone works but only with Cargo shorts and is pretty big...:o 

Reply
post #2317 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post
 

Calling Nick!!  Still looking for the amp-only SMALLER version of the 6S-Mk II.  Velcro and sticking this to my iPhone works but only with Cargo shorts and is pretty big...:o 

 

Yep - something like a revised UHA-4 or a Leckerton Apex Glacier equivalent would be ideal (keeping the crossfeed from the UHA-4 would be great too). 

post #2318 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEE TEE View Post
 

Calling Nick!!  Still looking for the amp-only SMALLER version of the 6S-Mk II.  Velcro and sticking this to my iPhone works but only with Cargo shorts and is pretty big...:o 

 

Let us know what he says! 

post #2319 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hifi01170 View Post

I have since a few weeks an amb m3 amp with opa627ap. Have to admit i love the sound signature with my full size cans a well as with my iems ex1000, jh13fp.

I'm now looking for a portable amp providing the experience the m3 provides. Seems like the Uha6 (with opa4627 or opa627) could provide... Or would the portaphile micro provide what i'm looking for? Had also shortlisted de alo rx iem.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers


I have the UHA and the ALO RX.  The RX only works  for IEMs while you can drive other HPs with the UHA6.  The RX is smaller and lighter and sounds good with my Angies.  I used to run the Leckerton with different sources with my 325I and found it up to the easy task.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but if it's IEMs you use, give a thought to the RX.  HTH

post #2320 of 2329

^I have both the 6S Mk II and the Rx in-house right now and the Rx seems a bit more laid back than the Leck, but I should quick-switch and A/B side-by-side to confirm.  

 

I really like the case (metal/finish/design) and the pot (size/feel) on the ALO Rx.  The gain is pretty good right off the bat for the UERM with no Hi/Lo Gain switch.  (My Leck gain is set to "6" instead of "12" by Nick for me.) The Rx case is not thin though.  Wish it were a little smaller as it is amp-only.  I have been meaning to try my Carbo Tenores on the Rx to see if it "sweetens" them a touch.  

 

I think the Leck does a great job of clean/neutral without being clinical or too "smoothing".  Tough to beat the Leck sound-wise so far, been thinking only a smaller amp-only version of the 6S Mk. II might beat the 6S Mk. II.  :ksc75smile: 

 

Oh- Mkubota showed me some thin velcro that I need to buy.  That alone is a cheap way to make our bricks smaller...

Reply
post #2321 of 2329
Quote:
I think the Leck does a great job of clean/neutral without being clinical or too "smoothing"

Perfect description of its sound.
post #2322 of 2329

Dumb question.

 

Can I charge this with USB while using the analog input?

post #2323 of 2329
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanft View Post
 

Dumb question.

 

Can I charge this with USB while using the analog input?



You can have it plugged in with a wall charger while using the other inputs, sure.

post #2324 of 2329

Are you guys talking about the latest Alo Rx (which I have not heard)? But the old Alo Rx Mark 2, which was my first amp bought, was no where near the UHA6S's performance. In fact, after a fellow head-fi'er let me try his UHA6S I sold the Rx Mark 2 shortly after.

post #2325 of 2329

^Latest ALO Rx. More relaxed. Like a tube amp. (I pretend the orange LED is a tube.)

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)