Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012) - Page 152

post #2266 of 2278

I wouldn't wander into the idea that one DAC chip had softer bass, that's just too big if audible not to come from something else in the implementation. else it would appear clearly in the chipset's measurements. and there are just too many variables for me to even dare put my finger on only one possible reason.

 

but about usb I'm 100% with you guys. from the get go it's a bad choice for audio. obviously USB is a convenient universal choice because it's on almost any device nowadays ... but it comes to no surprise that the most convenient, most universal, not at all done for music in the first place, might not be the highest audio quality option ^_^.

post #2267 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post

I wouldn't wander into the idea that one DAC chip had softer bass, that's just too big if audible not to come from something else in the implementation. else it would appear clearly in the chipset's measurements. and there are just too many variables for me to even dare put my finger on only one possible reason.

I agree. For instance the AK120II uses Cirrus DAC chips and sounds phenomenal when used purely as a DAC. Implementation, implementation, implementation.
post #2268 of 2278

As a USB DAC ODAC sounds better to my ears than 6S-MKII. But if fed by either Coax or Optical, UHA-6S-MKII turns it around. Especially when I use it as DAC/preamp to my Marantz integrated amplifier.

post #2269 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post

but about usb I'm 100% with you guys. from the get go it's a bad choice for audio. obviously USB is a convenient universal choice because it's on almost any device nowadays ... but it comes to no surprise that the most convenient, most universal, not at all done for music in the first place, might not be the highest audio quality option ^_^.

 

+1, fine for peripherals and USB 3.0 devices-- irrelevant to the context here but it explains its ubiquity-- however I prefer the optical design for DACs.

post #2270 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Junyuan View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post
 

Ah yes, my finest work! Vol. 1 or 2?

As an aside, the new translator for the Longman edition, Richard Aquila, teaches at my university atm. Brilliant man--really into Kant as well. 

 

On topic, I am looking into this amp as a portable solution over other choices in this price-range.

Excellent. I haven't read his translation yet, though it's been on my radar. I was using the Payne translation until the recent Cambridge Edition. I'm currently working with Prof. Shapshay @IU on moral psych/Schopenhauer related things. 

post #2271 of 2278

I use the UHA with the LO of my X5, and find it the best portable solution.  If I recall, the battery life was expected to be about 30 hours bypassing the DAC and about 10 hours with.  So bypassing the X5's HO gives it more than 20 hours, and using the line-in on the 6II gives me a long run.

It's small enough to fit in a pocket with the X5 if needed.  Means I don't have to take the Hugo anywhere.

I like the co-ax as well, but I have a couple of 192kb/s files.

I agree that the amp is the best part of the UHA; much better and crisper sounding than the X5 alone.

post #2272 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by UELong View Post
 

I use the UHA with the LO of my X5, and find it the best portable solution.  If I recall, the battery life was expected to be about 30 hours bypassing the DAC and about 10 hours with.  So bypassing the X5's HO gives it more than 20 hours, and using the line-in on the 6II gives me a long run.

It's small enough to fit in a pocket with the X5 if needed.  Means I don't have to take the Hugo anywhere.

I like the co-ax as well, but I have a couple of 192kb/s files.

I agree that the amp is the best part of the UHA; much better and crisper sounding than the X5 alone.

 

You must have a huge pocket. :tongue_smile:

post #2273 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post
 

 

You must have a huge pocket. :tongue_smile:


Hmmmm, I do.

post #2274 of 2278
Anybody has used/tried/heard the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 with the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII? And has compared it with the iFi nano or micro iDSD + O2? I'm "itching" for a better portable. Wondering if there's any, and whether the Leckerton has ateast equally good sound but different house sound signature?
post #2275 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondears View Post

Anybody has used/tried/heard the PSB M4U1 or NAD HP50 with the Leckerton UHA-6S MkII? And has compared it with the iFi nano or micro iDSD + O2? I'm "itching" for a better portable. Wondering if there's any, and whether the Leckerton has ateast equally good sound but different house sound signature?
Yeah, but I didn't like the digital filters, if you know what I mean.
post #2276 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schopenhauer View Post

Yeah, but I didn't like the digital filters, if you know what I mean.
Huh? You one of the R2R believers?...lol
post #2277 of 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj nellie View Post

Does anyone have tips for changing out the op-amps? Is it as simple as wiggling the opamps from side to side until they come loose, or is there a safer way?

And do the new op-amps need to be inserted with a certain orientation?

I really like electronics tweezers with superfine tips to help me get in and underneath the pins so I can carefully pry up the chips.  I rotate the leverage points and slowly work them up and out.  The two ends also help accurately apply pressure to get them back in too. 

post #2278 of 2278

Hi guys,

 

Sorry for disturb but nowadays I'm looking for UHA-6S.MKII for my ER-4S. If anyone interested, please PM me.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)