Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012) - Page 150

post #2236 of 2243

yes I still believe that headwhacker said nothing of the sort and that you've been putting words in his mouth. so yeah.

 

what I see is guy1 making a claim without giving more information than "trust me I got gears and I know the amp well, after all I ordered it 5 days ago", so I take it like I take most claims on the web, I don't really care. let's call it my excessive skepticism. and then comes another one, guy2 warning that it might not be accurate for everybody and explaining why. I don't really know them, I don't care if they're celebrities or 12years old kids, I just see what looks like legitimate point from guy2.

and that's all there is to it from my point of view.

 

 it's a forum where english isn't everybody's first language, it's certainly not mine, if we waste time looking for a reason to get offended we will always find some. just like when people believe they have a lucky number, they start to see it everywhere. so let's just chill out a bit, and concentrate on what is real about a product. let the moderation care about what's out of place and what's not(like all this off topic stuff we're doing ^_^).

post #2237 of 2243

You said in a previous post:

 

Quote:

the consequences of what schopopo is saying are that people reading it will trust him and go get that amp for their LCD2.

the consequences of what headwhacker is saying are that people will be careful and maybe look into it and ask themselves if they listen loud or not. nothing wrong with being a little careful.

 

Now you say:

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post

 

what I see is guy1 making a claim without giving more information than "trust me I got gears and I know the amp well, after all I ordered it 5 days ago", so I take it like I take most claims on the web, I don't really care. let's call it my excessive skepticism. and then comes another one, guy2 warning that it might not be accurate for everybody and explaining why. I don't really know them, I don't care if they're celebrities or 12years old kids, I just see what looks like legitimate point from guy2.

and that's all there is to it from my point of view.

Boy, I almost don't know where to start. How is one supposed to reply when one's interlocutor represents one as more or less saying "trust me I got gears and I know the amp well, after all I ordered it 5 days ago"? But where did I say that? Of course, nowhere. And that's because I didn't say that. What is really being attributed to me isn't a claim but stupidity, or naivete. And that's what @AustinValentine means when he says you're speaking in bad faith. That is, you're speaking in such a way that you do not accurately represent the person you're supposedly addressing, and, even worse, are representing him in a way that is supposed to discredit him before the fact. But if you've discredited him before the fact, you've essentially cut off the possibility of him responding to you. And that's simply a nasty and unkind thing to do.

 

Saying that I have a "frustrated kid's tone" or that I'm "playing the offended damsel" is just to add insult to conversational injury. Those are personal attacks and have been flagged as such to the moderators. In what way do you think you're contributing to the discussion of the topic of this thread by acting this way? You say "let's call it my excessive skepticism", and I assume that this skepticism is your contribution. Only it isn't skepticism: It's rude manners. And on the internet, it's called trolling. 

 

Nonetheless, by way of civil response. Notice that nowhere have I said that one should, if one owns an LCD-2.2, buy a Leck and be done with the whole thing. In fact, if anything, I've said that the Leck isn't the final word when it comes to driving the LCD-2.2. What I have said is that, relative to my experience with a number of different amplifiers, the Leck can drive the LCD-2.2 suitably. And I was very careful to say that I didn't mean merely that the Leck can push the headphone to one's preferred SPL. What I said is that the Leck drives the LCD-2.2 well at safe listening levels.

 

Now, what do I mean by "well"? Of course, I was never asked what I meant. Rather, it was assumed that I listen at perhaps too low a volume to know what I was talking about, or perhaps too high; or that, given that I obviously listen to "compressed" music or intrinsically undemanding music, I must not know what I'm talking about.

 

However, I did say something in the way of giving content to "well". I said that the Leck provides plenty of headroom with the LCD-2.2. And that means the sound isn't closed in, that one has the sense of hearing music coming from outside of one's head. This can contribute to better apparent imaging in a headphone. I can say more. E.g. the Leck provides more than enough power to elicit good macrodynamics from the LCD-2.2. This is to be expected if the amp gives the headphone plenty of headroom.

 

And I also gave some content to my claim that the HD800 is driven "well" by the Leck. That is, I said that there was "plenty of plankton". By that I meant that the Leck does a good job of showing what the HD800 is capable of with respect to microdetail, detail-retrieval, microdynamics etc. Again, nowhere did I say that the Leck is "endgame" for the HD800. I was merely pointing out what the Leck can do; nothing more. It can do a good job of showing you what makes the HD800 the special sort of headphone it is.

 

If there's any advice in what I'm saying here and what I said previously, it's that if you have some demanding, stay-at-home headphones and would like to acquire a portable amplifier that can drive them to adequate levels in terms of SQ, in addition to being able to drive your portable headphones, the Leck is something to consider. But that isn't some grand claim. And I've never presented it magisterially, or suggested I've God's own ears and that everyone should trust me unthinkingly and not make up their own minds. I was simply giving my 2 cents on a discussion forum devoted to the amplifier in question. What else is this forum for?

 

Oh, and a note about my musical taste/source materials. My primary source is TIDAL set to FLAC streaming. I listen to a range of genres but am mostly interested in IDM. This music isn't highly "compressed". This music doesn't lack in dynamics. Libet Tones by Vaetxh is a standard test EP I use to get a sense of what a piece of kit is capable of. Anyone who listens to that EP (and the second track in particular), would be hard-pressed to maintain, I think, that the music is "compressed" or that it lacks in dynamics. 


Edited by Schopenhauer - 4/20/15 at 11:29am
post #2238 of 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

It's easy to say that an amp can drive a headphone just by listening to handful of highly compresses music. Which in UHA-6SMKII's case sure is good enough. I have no problem if that is all the kind of music you listen to and the 6S maybe enough for you

That's an incorrect assumption. I for one listen to very high quality recordings, mostly jazz and the Leck does a superb job driving my HD800 'WELL'.
Edited by vlach - 4/20/15 at 11:56am
post #2239 of 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post


That's an incorrect assumption. I for one listen to very high quality recordings, mostly jazz and the Leck does a superb job driving my HD800 'WELL'.

 

+1.  Same here.  I have a large library of classical and jazz 96/24 FLAC and the Leckerton reproduces them beautifully.  You can't draw assumptions simply by taking numbers from a spec sheet and plugging them into an equation -- ultimately, you have to listen.

post #2240 of 2243

I should also note that I tend to listen between 70dB and 85dB when I'm doing focused listening, i.e. listening to music and nothing else. When I'm listening critically, i.e. trying to evaluate gear or a track, I might push it above 90dB. But then only briefly. I'm not saying it's the best way to check, but there are SPL-meter apps that allow you to check roughly your volume. That's what I've been using. But I should probably get a real, dedicated SPL-meter. Hearing loss isn't something I want to frack with. 

post #2241 of 2243

110 is about my limit (pain threshold)! :tongue:

post #2242 of 2243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilCox View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlach View Post


That's an incorrect assumption. I for one listen to very high quality recordings, mostly jazz and the Leck does a superb job driving my HD800 'WELL'.

 

+1.  Same here.  I have a large library of classical and jazz 96/24 FLAC and the Leckerton reproduces them beautifully.  You can't draw assumptions simply by taking numbers from a spec sheet and plugging them into an equation -- ultimately, you have to listen.


of course we can. what makes it hard is the lack of enough specs. 

the given sensi for a headphone has been obtained by feeding the headphone with 1mw and measuring the output. so you do know for a fact that if you put 1mw into the headphone you can get the given loudness.

then the question is pretty much to know how loud you're listening to and you can tell what the amp will need to be able to deliver. it's not magic.

with only the specs @1khz you won't be able to tell the all story, but nowadays you can find impedance graphs to further know what will happen and estimate the needs at any frequency.

another unknown is the amp itself,as the specs given are also for 1khz so there may be small differences at other frequencies. but that's the reason why we go a little over the top when we look at the needed loudness, and usually seek numbers for the headphone to play up to 115 or 120db. that accounts for the peaks(because felt loudness is lower, at least for dynamic music), and a little more headroom for unknowns, like when the manufacturer write 50ohm, but the model you end up with is really 47ohm or something like that.

but if the measurements are good and we have a good deal of them, then you will know exactly how to drive well a headphone at a given loudness or when it will start to distort(well exactly when it will go over 1%, but usually when the amp reaches that value it goes a lot higher very soon after when you keep pushing).

 

for the hd800 I read 102db/1Vrms and 300ohm from the official specs.

for practical number to see if we're good, I take innerfidelit's pdf http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD800.pdf

at the bottom you see that he made measurements for voltage and power to get 90db@1khz.

 

to get Tylls values @90db the hd800 he had would be closer to something like a sensi of 102.3db/1Vrms and 360ohm. the sensi is really close to given specs, no problem there. and if you look at the impedance graph on the PDF, more like ... I don't know, maybe 360 or 365ohm? how nice of the actual measured specs to go with the expected number from calculus. as if they were actually meaningful.:wink_face:

 

even with 102db and 300ohm like sennheiser said, we would be wrong by 0.3db in our estimation @90db compared to Tyll's result. not a drama and that shows how reliable those numbers are even when not perfectly right(it works well simply because electricity is a known science).

now what it tells us is that to drive the hd800 up to 90db we need 0.16mw and 0.24volt.

from the leckerton we get 40mw as max power (below 1%distortion) into 300ohm, so obviously we're great and people who don't listen to music with any peaks above 90db are golden with that combo.

 

now to reach the usual 115db we ask for when we look if an amp can be good for every uses with the headphone(as I explained above). we end up needing 51mw for Tyll's hd800, and 66.5mw for a hd800 with the actual sennheiser's specs of 102db and 300ohm.

both failing by a little margin when fed by the leckerton and his 40mw into 300ohm(again for the provided op amp measurements). the reason why you feel like it's ok can be simply that you don't listen so loud, or that you don't notice the few peaks being slightly distorted.

in this particular case, the amp would fail by less than 3db so it's as good as calling it a pass.

and for the voltage, leckerton says +18db, so if I'm not mistaken, as long as the source feeding the amp has more than 0.6v, the HD800 will go loud enough in all expected situations(listening real loud to real dynamic music).

 

now the unknown:

the hd800 can reach about 640ohm @100hz, and we don't know what max power the leckerton can feed into 640ohm. so while we would need a good deal less than into 300ohm, it rises a doubt. a doubt that would be eased up if our 115db estimation had been passed with flying colors. that's what headroom is for, to ease up our mind on small maybes.

also bob kats was saying 2weeks ago that to him having more headroom often meant better sound(it was a subjective opinion for that matter, but he seemed to hold firm to it). so if you trust his opinion, you may want to do better than "almost good".

 

 

 

 

 

 

as for the LCD2 I checked rapidly, and the answer is:  it depends on the damn headphone. :frown:

 

specs are all over the place depending on revisions. so I took the rev2 on innerfidelity(cause that's what schoppy has) and looked at what specs the headphone he measured really had. I end up with 58ohm and a sensi of about 90.6db@1mw. anyway for our usual 115db loud into the headphone, that's 275mw needed. again I don't know what gives with the opa627, but what we get from the leckerton webpage gives a fail into 62ohm for both AD op amps that are closer to 100mw. and with a relatively low impedance, the question of having enough current comes up too(when we pretty much dont care or the hd800).

 

but once again it depends on how loud the user goes, and how dynamic the music is. when what feels like 90db may very well be 93db with the latest justin bieber, the actual peaks could reach a good 15db higher at times with some classical pieces. so for those who sometimes like to listen louder for a song or just a passage, it's very possible that the leckerton will fail.

and if you remember it's nothing more than what headwhacker had been saying the all time:rolleyes:, except that to him we should take 120db to make our estimations, making the values to reach even harder for the amp.

 

and as I said I know for a fact that I never use above 100/105db peaks at home(measured the outpgoing voltage for a test tone with the source's volume set from listening to music pretty much the loudest I thought I would ever use with a few different tracks. it's a very quiet room in a very quiet village and I always disliked loud sounds. but I know I'm not everybody so I don't say a pairing is ok when it's only ok for my use. I say it's ok when the numbers show that nobody will be able to push the amp too far(so 115 or 120db). and if I say it's ok for me I would add how loud I tend to listen to the music, as loudness is most of the driving problem with many headphones.

post #2243 of 2243
Anybody compared the Leckerton with the iFi nano iDSD? Different price but just want to know the differences. I'll be using with it primarily the Shure SE215 with iPhone 6. Very happy still with the iFi but the Leckerton seems great not to even try...dammit I'm itching again...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)