Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added... - Page 137

post #2041 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

 

Are you going to use it for DAC/Amp? If you only need the amp section, the 6S-MKII can last for more than 20 hours.

 

Although I don't know the actual length of time it will last, I can vouch for the spectacular battery life of the 6S2 when being used as an amp only-- I have fallen asleep with it on and not realized it until I got out of the shower the next morning on a few occasions, and it was still on. Again, impressive IMO. 

post #2042 of 2202

The DAC/Amp in USB or just Amp mode lasts forever.

 

Via digital or optical input DAC/Amp doesn't last as long but is still good. 

post #2043 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by robm321 View Post
 

The DAC/Amp in USB or just Amp mode lasts forever.

 

Via digital or optical input DAC/Amp doesn't last as long but is still good. 

 

Just the amp mode extends battery life to > 20 hours. If you use the DAC (from any digital inputs) it goes down to around 12 hours.

post #2044 of 2202

Hi All,

 

I've been reading through this thread and got lost reading so many posts. Posts from about a year ago indicated that some users were having problems being able to control the volume when connected to a PC via USB. (Perhaps I am 'misremembering' what I read.)

 

I am thinking of purchasing this DAC/AMP along with Alpha Dog. So, is there still an issue with adjust the volume with this unit?

 

Sorry if this was answered a while back but with so many posts, I'm sure it's hard to avoid dupe posts.

 

Thanks,


Edited by kimck99 - 3/16/14 at 9:44pm
post #2045 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimck99 View Post
 

Hi All,

 

I've been reading through this thread and got lost reading so many posts. Posts from about a year ago indicated that some users were having problems being able to control the volume when connected to a PC via USB. (Perhaps I am 'misremembering' what I read.)

 

I am thinking of purchasing this DAC/AMP along with Alpha Dog. So, is there an issue with using this device volume?

 

Sorry if this was answered a while back but with so many posts, I'm sure it's hard to avoid dupe posts.

 

Thanks,


 I would seriously advise for a desktop amp with some serious punch and not some portable stuff.

post #2046 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by castleofargh View Post
 


 I would seriously advise for a desktop amp with some serious punch and not some portable stuff.

 

Hi castle...

 

Well, when I decided down the headphone path, I looked at my use case. When at home, I use my desktop speakers (not the greatest), when traveling, I use my phone, and when working at the office, laptop/tablet. I did think about getting a desktop amp but didn't want to spend more money than necessary. So looking for a good compromise that will allow me to use a single device for all three to drive the Alpha Dog. So, I haven't looked too much into a desktop DAC/AMP and focusing primarily on a portable unit.

 

Thanks

post #2047 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimck99 View Post
 

 

Hi castle...

 

Well, when I decided down the headphone path, I looked at my use case. When at home, I use my desktop speakers (not the greatest), when traveling, I use my phone, and when working at the office, laptop/tablet. I did think about getting a desktop amp but didn't want to spend more money than necessary. So looking for a good compromise that will allow me to use a single device for all three to drive the Alpha Dog. So, I haven't looked too much into a desktop DAC/AMP and focusing primarily on a portable unit.

 

Thanks

 

This unit will work fine with the Alpha Dogs. I use mine with LFF's T50RP Paradox Mod and it drives them very well - you can even push them without using high gain if you're a reasonably low volume listener.

 

You should make sure that your phone is compatible with this unit, either via camera connection kit for iOS or by USB-OTG for Android. The DAC in the Leckerton is its weak point however (even though it is a pretty well implemented Cirrus); down the road you may want to combine it with an ODAC or a Gamma2 to compensate. 

post #2048 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimck99 View Post

 

Hi castle...

 

Well, when I decided down the headphone path, I looked at my use case. When at home, I use my desktop speakers (not the greatest), when traveling, I use my phone, and when working at the office, laptop/tablet. I did think about getting a desktop amp but didn't want to spend more money than necessary. So looking for a good compromise that will allow me to use a single device for all three to drive the Alpha Dog. So, I haven't looked too much into a desktop DAC/AMP and focusing primarily on a portable unit.

 

Thanks

 



If you are planning to get those hard to drive phones in the future, then a desktop amp makes more sense. However, if you are just one and done with alpha dogs and you want to bring it along with you on commute and office. The 6SMKII is more than enough and practical in a mobile sense.

People always preach the "more power, much better" gospel. It's same thing with anyone asking recommedation for buying a car, just for driving around the city, someone will always bring a ferrari in the conversation.

I have demoed the alpha dogs with this amp, like Austin mentioned, it's more than enough. At high gain, you can hardly get the volume knob pass the 12 o'clock postion.
post #2049 of 2202

well that's my advice, not an order ;)

I'm one of those usually telling people they don't need as much power as they think, but we're still talking orthodynamic driver here. loud enough and properly controlled low frequency movements are 2 completely different things in my book. feeding something that can eat watts with an amp that will do under 100mw @50ohm doesn't look like the optimum way. then again when I'm going to sleep I look at a movie with my hd650 directly from my laptop HO instead of using an amp. I'm enjoying the round bloated sound before sleep, but would not advise it as ok driving.

post #2050 of 2202
Can you point to a paper or something that 100mW is not enough? Not all ortho drivers are created alike. Yes they do consume watts of power if you feed them, but that is the max the driver can sustain before blowing up. Which, I guess you won't have the chance of doing since you will blast your eardrums first before the actual drivers do if you put the headphone around your head while feeding Watts of power to the drivers.

The word "controlled " when used with headphones is verging more towards subjective preferences. How much power needed to say the drivers are properly controlled? Is there an accepted level for a specific type of drivers? Even iems sounds bloated out of a laptop's HO.
post #2051 of 2202

Thanks AustinValentine, headwhacker, and Castle...

 

I suppose I may end up with a desktop DAC some day but starting with this and Alpha Dog will likely suit me fine for quite some time.

 

I appreciate the feedback.

 

Cheers!

post #2052 of 2202

Have anyone tried to use OPA637 with this amp?

 

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=wgAEGBTxy7nfgz4EbApFvQ%3d%3d

 

On google I found that OPA637 is higher over OPA627 but I found that no one mentioned this opamp in this thread.

post #2053 of 2202
Because it's not one of the opamps Nick has tested on UHA-6SMKII. Of course you can try it but, check with Nick at Leckerton first just in case there is a specific reason not to try it on MKII.
post #2054 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by headwhacker View Post

Because it's not one of the opamps Nick has tested on UHA-6SMKII. Of course you can try it but, check with Nick at Leckerton first just in case there is a specific reason not to try it on MKII.


I found that OPA637 seems to be unstable with gain < 6, so I think it may be the reason. Anyone know gain number in UHA-6S? I will check with Nick if OPA637 suits. If it does not suit, I think I will go with OPA627AP in the future.

 

For now I am thinking about AD8621 or ADA4627 1-A. These two opamps sound to be very similar, right? Anyone prefer one to another?


Edited by duydangle - 3/26/14 at 3:10am
post #2055 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by duydangle View Post
 


I found that OPA637 seems to be unstable with gain < 6, so I think it may be the reason. Anyone know gain number in UHA-6S? I will check with Nick if OPA637 suits. If it does not suit, I think I will go with OPA627AP in the future.

 

For now I am thinking about AD8621 or ADA4627 1-A. These two opamps sound to be very similar, right? Anyone prefer one to another?

 

You mean AD8610 right? I get the 6S with ADA4627-1A since it was reported to be the most neutral and transparent of all opamps option. So far it does sound transparent. I still have to try other opamps though for comparison.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)