Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added... - Page 120

post #1786 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Wait say what? I've never had any hissing issues even with SE535, a super sensitive iem! I've tried the leckertons with a HD800, but I didn't notice any hissing...

 

I've personally not noticed any hiss with sensitive IEMs (TG!334, 1Plus2) either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

My Leckerton was always dead silent driving my HE-500 (which they drove surprisingly well).  Haven't tried with the HD 800 yet, but will give it a go this weekend.  I have the 627 opamp.

 

With high impedance HP though (like the aforementioned HD800 or HE-500), I don't think they're too sensitive with hiss. Or is my understanding incorrect?

post #1787 of 2202

Yep correct, but Zowki said he heard noise with his HD 800.

post #1788 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendoji View Post

Yep correct, but Zowki said he heard noise with his HD 800.

 

My bad. Serves me right for commenting after a few drinks. I'll shut up now.

post #1789 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimvictor View Post

Wait say what? I've never had any hissing issues even with SE535, a super sensitive iem! I've tried the leckertons with a HD800, but I didn't notice any hissing...

Have you switched to high gain and turned the volume knob above half? The hissing gets very obvious at 3/4 volume on high gain.
post #1790 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by zowki View Post


Have you switched to high gain and turned the volume knob above half? The hissing gets very obvious at 3/4 volume on high gain.

On high gain with HD800, I kept it around the 12o'clock as that's loud enough for me. I haven't tried 3/4 volume.

post #1791 of 2202

I've been playing with the 4627 for a couple hours. I've gone back and forth between it and the 8610 over a dozen times with the ER4S without changing volume or fit. As it's said on Leckerton's site, the differences are small if any. I used a 15 second clip on 2 songs over and over again to make it easier to distinguish possible differences. I think there is a slight difference, but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't try to distinguish them blind. I knew which one was which.

 

If there is a difference, I'd say the 4627 has a bit more "sheen." Vocals sounded like the upper mids were accentuated, although I don't think this has to do with FR. The 4627 seemed to have slightly more detail, but at the cost of sounding more fatiguing than the 8610. Like I said, this was without touching the volume or taking the ER4S out of my ears. I was able to make the swaps in about 20 seconds, which is pretty long in audio memory time. 

 

I'm going to use the 4627 for a while to see if other music I'm familiar with sounds at all different. Again, the differences I described may not actually exist, and I wouldn't be surprised if I failed a blind test between these two op-amps. I will approach further impressions skeptically, and will update here. 


Edited by gnarlsagan - 8/5/13 at 10:25pm
post #1792 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

I was able to make the swaps in about 20 seconds, which is a pretty long in audio memory time. 

When I try to AB and I need to start swapping IEMs and changing volume, I feel like I'm in one of those army movie scenes where the soldier is trying to take apart his rifle and put it back together as fast as he can.
post #1793 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

I've been playing with the 4627 for a couple hours. I've gone back and forth between it and the 8610 over a dozen times with the ER4S without changing volume or fit. As it's said on Leckerton's site, the differences are small if any. I used a 15 second clip on 2 songs over and over again to make it easier to distinguish possible differences. I think there is a slight difference, but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't try to distinguish them blind. I knew which one was which.

If there is a difference, I'd say the 4627 has a bit more "sheen." Vocals sounded like the upper mids were accentuated, although I don't think this has to do with FR. The 4627 seemed to have slightly more detail, but at the cost of sounding more fatiguing than the 8610. Like I said, this was without touching the volume or taking the ER4S out of my ears. I was able to make the swaps in about 20 seconds, which is pretty long in audio memory time. 

I'm going to use the 4627 for a while to see if other music I'm familiar with sounds at all different. Again, the differences I described may not actually exist, and I wouldn't be surprised if I failed a blind test between these two op-amps. I will approach further impressions skeptically, and will update here. 

huh, seems like the two opamps are more similar than different, when I switched from the 209 to the 4627 the differences were very clear and obvious.
Edited by zachchen1996 - 8/6/13 at 12:52am
post #1794 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

huh, seems like the two opamps are more similar than alike, when I switched from the 209 to the 4627 the differences were very clear and obvious.

Now we're just splitting hairs. biggrin.gif
post #1795 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Now we're just splitting hairs. biggrin.gif

LOL it took me about 30 seconds to realize the typo blink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #1796 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarlsagan View Post

I've been playing with the 4627 for a couple hours. I've gone back and forth between it and the 8610 over a dozen times with the ER4S without changing volume or fit. As it's said on Leckerton's site, the differences are small if any. I used a 15 second clip on 2 songs over and over again to make it easier to distinguish possible differences. I think there is a slight difference, but I'm not 100% sure because I didn't try to distinguish them blind. I knew which one was which.

 

If there is a difference, I'd say the 4627 has a bit more "sheen." Vocals sounded like the upper mids were accentuated, although I don't think this has to do with FR. The 4627 seemed to have slightly more detail, but at the cost of sounding more fatiguing than the 8610. Like I said, this was without touching the volume or taking the ER4S out of my ears. I was able to make the swaps in about 20 seconds, which is pretty long in audio memory time. 

 

I'm going to use the 4627 for a while to see if other music I'm familiar with sounds at all different. Again, the differences I described may not actually exist, and I wouldn't be surprised if I failed a blind test between these two op-amps. I will approach further impressions skeptically, and will update here. 

 

You are awesome, thanks for doing this and reporting.  I'm selling gear to buy my own UHA and really appreciate the guidance on op amp choice.

 

I'll be using the amp mostly with a mobile phone.  I know the 8610 is supposed to be less susceptible to interference from phones (compared to the 209), but do you know how the 4627 fares?

post #1797 of 2202

I was listening to it for a couple hours yesterday moving around while it's connected to my Nexus 4 and did not hear any interference.

post #1798 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post

You are awesome, thanks for doing this and reporting.  I'm selling gear to buy my own UHA and really appreciate the guidance on op amp choice.

I'll be using the amp mostly with a mobile phone.  I know the 8610 is supposed to be less susceptible to interference from phones (compared to the 209), but do you know how 4627 fares?

I experienced no interference with the 4627.
post #1799 of 2202
yeah same here, no interference at all
post #1800 of 2202
Sweet
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)