Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added... - Page 114

post #1696 of 2202
Has anyone tried their uha-6s mkii's with the ada4627 op-amp?
post #1697 of 2202

Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

Has anyone tried their uha-6s mkii's with the ada4627 op-amp?

 

Yes.. I have it.. and will have impressions in a bit.  Teaser?  It's good.. very good.

post #1698 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Yes.. I have it.. and will have impressions in a bit.  Teaser?  It's good.. very good.

That's good news! Just ordered a pair from Nick. Heard great things about this opamp with this amp popcorn.gif
post #1699 of 2202
ADA4627's came in today. Definitely better than opa209 for the uha-6s mkii. If you are thinking about getting this amp, order it with Op-amp ADA4627! tongue.gif
post #1700 of 2202

Glad to hear you like 'em, man! Any impressions on how they sound versus stock? 

post #1701 of 2202
The 4627 sounds more natural than the 209, which I feel sounds a bit unnaturally thin in comparison. The 4627 also has better timbre than the 209, bass weight and impact is also more satisfying, I feel as if soundstaging/imaging abilities are better with the 4627's as well. The 4627 isn't any less detailed than the 209. Practically better than the 209 in everything? Sorry, I'm really bad at describing improvements and sound in general redface.gif It definitely makes the leck a better amp though.
Edited by zachchen1996 - 7/26/13 at 7:47pm
post #1702 of 2202

Lol! Sounds like a pretty solid set of impressions to me man ;). If you have any further thoughts or comments about it, please do share! The changes wrought by using different opamps seem to be one of the most commonly asked set of questions about the Lecks, so you'd probably be helping somebody out who's just like you wink.gif

 

Hope you keep lovin' it!!

post #1703 of 2202
Whoa. I'd never describe the 209 as thin, especially unnaturally thin. But I don't have your frame of reference. frown.gif

Mind blown. Don't mind me, carry on lol.

Edit: Apparently they might sound heartier in the QuickStep?

Always wanted to try this amp. So many good things I've read for a while. Apologies for the interruption.
Edited by vwinter - 7/26/13 at 8:17pm
post #1704 of 2202
I'm curious to hear more feedback about this opamp as well. I'm trying to find a good match with my Heir 8.A's which are a bit too warm and overly muddy with any kind of other warmth in the chain. The thinness of the 209's work fairly well but I could do without the interference.

I like the tone of the 8610 but they have a bit too much warmth. (With 8.A) The 627? What a mess, lol
post #1705 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwinter View Post

Whoa. I'd never describe the 209 as thin, especially unnaturally thin. But I don't have your frame of reference. frown.gif

Mind blown. Don't mind me, carry on lol.

Edit: Apparently they might sound heartier in the QuickStep?

Always wanted to try this amp. So many good things I've read for a while. Apologies for the interruption.

FlySweep told me in a pm that when the leck was paired with the 209, he prefered the meier quickstep to the leck, but after he got ada4627's in the leck, he decided to sell his quickstep! biggrin.gif ps thanks flysweep for the 4627 impressions!
Edited by zachchen1996 - 7/26/13 at 8:43pm
post #1706 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

FlySweep told me in a pm that when the leck was paired with the 209, he prefered the meier quickstep to the leck, but after he got ada4627's in the leck, he decided to sell his quickstep! biggrin.gif ps thanks flysweep for the 4627 impressions!

blink.gif
If that's not an endorsement I don't know what is. Enjoy!
post #1707 of 2202
Originally Posted by zachchen1996 View Post

ADA4627's came in today. Definitely better than opa209 for the uha-6s mkii. If you are thinking about getting this amp, order it with Op-amp ADA4627! tongue.gif

 

Nice.. give it some time to 'burn in'.. it'll smooth out.  My UHA w/ ADA4627 sounded pretty aggressive and a bit 'rough around the edges' for the first five to ten hours.  It sounded cleaner and better controlled after that.


Originally Posted by Theogenes View Post

Glad to hear you like 'em, man! Any impressions on how they sound versus stock? 

 

I've only had the UHA w/ the OPA209.. and I find the ADA4627 smokes it (yep, that's some good ol' fashioned HeadFi exaggeration for you.. lol).  In all seriousness.. it address a lot of the shortcomings I found with the 209, namely: a thin, brittle, slightly cold sound.. and a lack of note weight.  The 4627 improves all that and more.. it's timbre is simply terrific.. it's very clear and the soundstage is much better than what the 209 offered, IMO.  I greatly preferred the QUICKSTEP to the UHA/209.  The UHA4627 sounds as good, if not (subjectively) better than the QS, IMO.

post #1708 of 2202
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlySweep View Post

Nice.. give it some time to 'burn in'.. it'll smooth out.  My UHA w/ ADA4627 sounded pretty aggressive and a bit 'rough around the edges' for the first five to ten hours.  It sounded cleaner and better controlled after that.

I've only had the UHA w/ the OPA209.. and I find the ADA4627 smokes it (yep, that's some good ol' fashioned HeadFi exaggeration for you.. lol).  In all seriousness.. it address a lot of the shortcomings I found with the 209, namely: a thin, brittle, slightly cold sound.. and a lack of note weight.  The 4627 improves all that and more.. it's timbre is simply terrific.. it's very clear and the soundstage is much better than what the 209 offered, IMO.  I greatly preferred the QUICKSTEP to the UHA/209.  The UHA4627 sounds as good, if not (subjectively) better than the QS, IMO.

We definitely hear things very similarly regarding this little amp biggrin.gif I see that you have an odac and a v800 dac, when moving from the odac as a source for the leck to the v800, does the amp scale up in SQ well?
Edited by zachchen1996 - 7/27/13 at 2:26am
post #1709 of 2202
Is the ADA4627 an ARZ or BRZ for this application? I also find an ADA4637 BRZ that has similar specs, has anyone tried that?
post #1710 of 2202
Nick told me in an email that it doesn't matter if it is an a, b, arz, or brz, etc. The ones that I have in my leck are ada4627-1a. I just ordered the 4627's directly from Nick.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Headphone Amps
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphone Amps › New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)