Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Opinions wanted: Which has better SQ, the 7G iPod classic or the 4G iPod Touch?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Opinions wanted: Which has better SQ, the 7G iPod classic or the 4G iPod Touch?

post #1 of 29
Thread Starter 

Hello everyone:

Sorry to be redundant, but after spending hours searching the threads on this forum, I feel as if I'm where I started. I had a 5th Generation 30GB iPod (the iPod video) for over 6 years that I need to replace. The problem is that I don't know what to do.

 

I've been reading a lot of threads of the subject. Some say the 7G iPod classic sounds great, and is an improvement from previous generations, but that the latest iPod Touch sounds better. On the other hand, I've read that some people say the iPod Touch has an awful sound quality, with muddy bass and a lot of distortion and that the 7G classic is the best option.

 

I already have a smartphone, so having nice apps and internet connection is not a reason to buy the Touch. I'm just concerned about the sound quality, period. Cost is not a deciding factor either. Although the Classic has more capacity (160GB), I'm willing to sacrifice space if the Touch sounds better.

 

So, those of you that have listened or owned both of them, what are your impressions?

 

If it matters, the headphones I own are Grado SR-80i and Audio Technica AD-700 and some cheap Sony MDR-EX35LP earbuds to listen to on the go.

 


Edited by LaDolceVita - 3/24/12 at 11:55am
post #2 of 29

If sound quality is your priority then forget ipods and buy a cowon or a sony

post #3 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkocean-62 View Post

If sound quality is your priority then forget ipods and buy a cowon or a sony



Typical Apple-hater.....but you're wrong.

4th-gen Touch holds its own against any Cowon or Sony. Sony players don't do gapless playback either, unless you load them with WAV files......

 

I haven't heard the Classic, but the Touch with the Equalizer and Sonicmax Pro apps is a great sounding device.

post #4 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Achmedisdead View Post



Typical Apple-hater.....but you're wrong.

4th-gen Touch holds its own against any Cowon or Sony. Sony players don't do gapless playback either, unless you load them with WAV files......

 

I haven't heard the Classic, but the Touch with the Equalizer and Sonicmax Pro apps is a great sounding device.



Actually i never owned any apple product because almost everything i have read about them where sound is concerned described them as performing poorly, i have never read anything but the opposite about sony and cowon and i have owned players made by both, my experience with them is nothing short of excellent sound quality

post #5 of 29
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the responses. I would like to stick with Apple since I have a lot of music in AAC and ALAC, and I also own a MacBook so it makes things easier for me. However, if there's another player that is a lot better in terms of SQ and UI, I'll consider it too, I'm open to other options.

 

The equalizer in the iPod classic is awful, so I always have it off. The fact that in the iPod Touch I can use a decent equalizer is something I didn't realize before. Now I'm leaning more towards the Touch... 

post #6 of 29
iPod touch or classic, then the other brands mentioned. And, I own all the brands mentioned. There is NOTHING inferior about the sq of an iPod. All quality brands of player sound equal. The eq and sound enhancements are what really make a difference. Throw EQu or Equalizer (on one of a few others nowadays) on a touch or iPhone and they're equal to ANY Cowon, Sony, Samsung, etc. And, the touch and iPhone are gapless as well. A Cowon also is gapless,...but I'd go iPod.

Now, FWIW, I find it funny that a person who has never had an Apple device is talking about the sq. hearing something sounds bad means nothing. Experience it or your opinion is worthless,...
post #7 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post

iPod touch or classic, then the other brands mentioned. And, I own all the brands mentioned. There is NOTHING inferior about the sq of an iPod. All quality brands of player sound equal. The eq and sound enhancements are what really make a difference. Throw EQu or Equalizer (on one of a few others nowadays) on a touch or iPhone and they're equal to ANY Cowon, Sony, Samsung, etc. And, the touch and iPhone are gapless as well. A Cowon also is gapless,...but I'd go iPod.
Now, FWIW, I find it funny that a person who has never had an Apple device is talking about the sq. hearing something sounds bad means nothing. Experience it or your opinion is worthless,...


That's a fair point which i accept and i wouldn't normally comment on something i had not experienced but in this case i have never read anything describing an ipod as being excellent when 

it came to sq, sony and cowon on the other hand have nothing but claims of excellent sq and i have owned both and agree completely.In the first post LaDolceVita states clearly that sq

is the most important thing, my opinion on sony and cowon and it seems the general belief is that they are the best names for it

 

post #8 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkocean-62 View Post


That's a fair point which i accept and i wouldn't normally comment on something i had not experienced but in this case i have never read anything describing an ipod as being excellent when 

it came to sq, sony and cowon on the other hand have nothing but claims of excellent sq and i have owned both and agree completely.In the first post LaDolceVita states clearly that sq

is the most important thing, my opinion on sony and cowon and it seems the general belief is that they are the best names for it

 

Really,...if you've never heard an iPod you have no idea what your talking about. And if you browse throughout the forum you'll see many pro & con threads saying that ppl like or dislike the sq - that it's goodor bad. Jude, the owner of Head-Fi, uses an iPod for his portable rig. I do the same,...I own Cowon, Sony, Samsung, Apple, Sansa, etc players. The sq of an iPod is excellent. The only difference between all of them is a custom eq & proprietary sound enhancements.

Please, don't state the "I read somewhere" opinion as a fact - it shows you as having an opinion based on heresay,...it's useless. Try, then discuss, or leave yourself out of the conversation. Or, just say you like Sony and Cowon - but don't say an iPod has bad sq.
post #9 of 29

i´ve heard ipods. and mostly my opinion is that the bass is all over the place and they have a total inability to produce trable.

 

then again i might be wrong.

post #10 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aevum View Post

i´ve heard ipods. and mostly my opinion is that the bass is all over the place and they have a total inability to produce trable.

 

then again i might be wrong.



Depends on which iPods you've heard. Not every iPod over the years has been great sounding......but in the past year I've owned 4th-gen Touch and 4th-gen shuffle, and they both sound excellent...I believe the Classic has the same DAC as the 4th-gen Touch, the Cirrus Logic unit.

post #11 of 29
Thread Starter 

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm getting the Touch.

 

Which IEMs and headphones would you recommend?

post #12 of 29
Thread Starter 
Oops, sorry! Thanks for the suggestions :-)
post #13 of 29

What i heard from other people , iPhone > iPad > iTouch > iPod classic > ipod nano/shuffle  , then the newer Generation beat the older Generation.

So the king of sound from ipod line is maybe iPhone 4s or iPad 3.

but i am not the fan of Apple , so i dont know the real answer before i have listened all models and generations.

what i recommend is using Ampli via line out.

and dont forget that apple never release iPod 7G, it`s just iPod 6G revision


Edited by a_tumiwa - 3/26/12 at 7:47pm
post #14 of 29

Out of all the iPods I own, only the iPod Video 5G and the iPod Nano 6G is the best sounding. I am don't really like the SQ on my iPod Touch 4G though its not too bad. However the best SQ DAP I own is the Sony A865 and the Samsung Galaxy player 4.0 with Voodoo Sound Plus and Player Pro app.


Edited by Artmuzz - 3/27/12 at 6:23am
post #15 of 29

My iPod 7G + AT-M50 combo sound very nice indeed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Opinions wanted: Which has better SQ, the 7G iPod classic or the 4G iPod Touch?