Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Good headphone for classical music!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Good headphone for classical music! - Page 2

post #16 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmr94 View Post

Hi! I would like to buy a pair of cans good for classical music! I like very much senn hd 650 senn hd600, grado ps 500 and grado rs2i. Wich of them is better for classical music? Any Suggestions? 


HD600 all the way. Haven't heard the Grados though but looking through reviews they seem to have a coloured and fun signature which in my experience don't suit classical music. The HD650 also had a coloured signature and the bass is too much for my taste, classical being my primary listening genre.  

 



Quote:
Originally Posted by semmio View Post

It still depends on your personal preference. I love bass when I listen to pop music. To me the HD600 makes the timpani slightly too boomy and is slightttly overwhelming in symphonies, but the lower strings sound great. I'm a violinist so I like the  higher notes xD and the AKG q701 has just the right amount of bass for me. I also have the ATH ad500 but those are actually too bass light lol.


The HD600 actually has the right amount of bass imo. I play the violin as well as other instruments including the timpani (maybe I should become a conductor redface.gif). 

post #17 of 42

For classical, all you need is the AKG K501. Once you have that, just won't need anything else.

You think the Q701 has a huge soundstage? Wait until you hear the K501. Even bigger than the AD700.

 

For closed, the K550 is a good match for classical if you don't want to use an amp.

 

NOTE: if you can't find a K501, you can try the K601 or Q701. I'd probably take the Q701. K601 is warmer though and has much less treble.


Edited by tdockweiler - 3/24/12 at 3:34pm
post #18 of 42
Thread Starter 

What about akg k702?

post #19 of 42

i am listening to an Alexandro ms pro......its beautiful with classical music. wink.gif

Its an open can, so u will need a quiet place to get the best of out this beau.

 

http://www.headfonia.com/grado-rs1-and-alessandro-ms-pro/

 

================

 

my next choice would be the hd600 for classicals, but i would add an aftermarket cable like the equinox,

the clarity improved significantly to be worth the added cost.popcorn.gif

 

================

 

if u are still keen to stick to the pro900, just add the jmoneypads...

this pro900 is such a kicker, i looooove it....ya even with classicals...hehe.

tongue_smile.gif

 

 
 

Edited by Lorspeaker - 3/25/12 at 2:59am
post #20 of 42
Thread Starter 

could you explain more clearly what should I do with pro 900? I'm very interested in grado's and alessandro's cans! Please could you tell me something about alessandro's cans?
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

i am listening to an Alexandro ms pro......its beautiful with classical music. wink.gif

Its an open can, so u will need a quiet place to get the best of out this beau.

 

http://www.headfonia.com/grado-rs1-and-alessandro-ms-pro/

 

================

 

my next choice would be the hd600 for classicals, but i would add an aftermarket cable like the equinox,

the clarity improved significantly to be worth the added cost.popcorn.gif

 

================

 

if u are still keen to stick to the pro900, just add the jmoneypads...

this pro900 is such a kicker, i looooove it....ya even with classicals...hehe.

tongue_smile.gif

 

 
 


 


Edited by fmr94 - 3/25/12 at 8:01am
post #21 of 42

this is an interesting article on the jmoneypads...

http://breakthenetwork.com/2011/04/14/ultrasone-pro-900-j-pads-review/

 

so far this jmoney has turn on the magic on both my denonD7000 and the pro900...

bought both from the resalemarket, just wait and see if u can snag one.

Increased comfort, better isolation, tightened bass...maybe more depth...

give it a shot.

 

For a closed can, it is giving my d7000 a bigfight for the topcan position. 

============

 

i havent heard the RS1....the article from headfonia in short is saying the mspro is a rs1 tuned for classical music.

To my ears, the mspro has very good clarity, not bright clarion clarity like the shure940 or T5p..(too much of a good thing can be a minus..:p)

a good enough soundstage...not bigbigbig like a hd800, which some say is tooooo big...hah.

And the mspro is very light on the head, a good thing for me.

 

 

 
post #22 of 42

I higly recommend the HD600 and HD650 and advice you to stear far away from any bigger AKG.

... as an AKG fanboy, it hurts to say the truth sometimes...

 

Classic Music, despite the String instruments, NEEDS A LOT OF BODY... ever heard an contrabass, a tuba or some of the bigger drums on an AKG...

The K240 series on the other hand copes quite well with classic though.

 

Here, just a quick personal ranking

 

HD600 > HD650 > AKG K240 Sextetts MP

post #23 of 42
Thread Starter 

what about audio technica ad 1000?

post #24 of 42

Seems to me like J$ pads are now very rare, the only ones available new are the BT version (headroom has some), so it may be hard going forward to do any of the aforementioned mods with the Denon version of J$ pads. At least for now since the manufacturers website is out of comission (and maybe he is too?)

 

Cheers,
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorspeaker View Post

this is an interesting article on the jmoneypads...

http://breakthenetwork.com/2011/04/14/ultrasone-pro-900-j-pads-review/

 

so far this jmoney has turn on the magic on both my denonD7000 and the pro900...

bought both from the resalemarket, just wait and see if u can snag one.

Increased comfort, better isolation, tightened bass...maybe more depth...

give it a shot.

 

For a closed can, it is giving my d7000 a bigfight for the topcan position. 

============

 

i havent heard the RS1....the article from headfonia in short is saying the mspro is a rs1 tuned for classical music.

To my ears, the mspro has very good clarity, not bright clarion clarity like the shure940 or T5p..(too much of a good thing can be a minus..:p)

a good enough soundstage...not bigbigbig like a hd800, which some say is tooooo big...hah.

And the mspro is very light on the head, a good thing for me.

 

 

 


 

post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by roBernd View Post
I higly recommend the HD600 and HD650 and advice you to stear far away from any bigger AKG.

... as an AKG fanboy, it hurts to say the truth sometimes...

Classic Music, despite the String instruments, NEEDS A LOT OF BODY... ever heard an contrabass, a tuba or some of the bigger drums on an AKG...

The K240 series on the other hand copes quite well with classic though.

Here, just a quick personal ranking

HD600 > HD650 > AKG K240 Sextetts MP


I just bought some used AKG K240M monitor 600-Ohm for $65, lucky my Yamaha RX-V671 and Essence STX can power them (even Fiio E11).

Anyway, the clarity is great for classical.

 

 

post #26 of 42

Voicing is very important in classical music. Musicians rehearse like crazy just to get the exact balance to be perfect. The conductor does the same thing in orchestra rehearsals telling __ to play louder and __ to play softer. Assuming the team mixing the recording actually understands classical music, the best balance of bass/mid/highs is achieved by listening through the most accurate headphones. Which is the most accurate? iono. hahaha

post #27 of 42
Thread Starter 

What about this solution: Ibasso d7 or creek obh 11 with audio technica ad 1000?

post #28 of 42
I am enjoying my SRH-940 with classical music alot. I like to EQ the bass from +5DB at 32hz down to +1DB at 500hz but other than that I find the detail, instrument separation, and sound stage to be very good.

For open headphones I like the HD600 as well but did find it's treble to be a bit off for cymbals. I have owned the AD900 as well but found the mids to be to thin sounding and the treble to be to harsh. I have heard the AD2000 resolves the AD900 issue though but can not confirm that from personal experience.
post #29 of 42
Thread Starter 

is the audio-technica w1000x a good choice?

 

post #30 of 42

Nice link, but I'm pretty sure that the OP already bought his headphones wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Good headphone for classical music!