Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-XB1000 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WHAT????
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sony MDR-XB1000 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WHAT???? - Page 2

post #16 of 69
I had a gift card that i won from an audiophile online giveaway comp and the headphones were $50 so yeah


With massive eq ing. Im on the same boat as rpg wizard. These will play so many genres. And have exceeded my expectations
post #17 of 69

damn looks like i didnt slip through the cracks and get my last second pair of xb1000's :(, amazon just cancelled my order and a few pairs popped up on amazon now selling for 50-100 above their retail price, fml 

 

 

 

 

can anyone recommend me a pair of headphones that would deliver a comparable fun sound? im kinda leaning towards the ultrasone pro 900's but the thought of its supposed shrill highs is kind of turning me off and i already own a pair of xb500's, anyway what do you guys think i should do?

post #18 of 69
Thread Starter 
Don't get the Pro 900. It's not as good as the XB1000. I sent an email to my Sony contact in Japan. He will find out for me if it is really being killed. I'll keep everyone updated.
Reply
post #19 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiGuy528 View Post

Don't get the Pro 900. It's not as good as the XB1000. I sent an email to my Sony contact in Japan. He will find out for me if it is really being killed. I'll keep everyone updated.


Wrong statement. The XB1000 and the Pro 900 are very much different headphones, and while the former has a more disperse bass presence, the latter has a significantly more punchy bass, as well as having quite a lot of clarity. The Pro 900 treble smooths out over burn in period and listener's adjustments. I consider myself to be rather treble sensitive, and the Pro 900 did end up being very good to my listening preferences, with the treble getting out of the way more than I expected.

post #20 of 69

 I'll keep everyone updated.

 

Thanks.

The MDR Z1000 *looks* to similar in terms of specifications to the XB 1000. I wonder if it is the intended replacement.  Amazon is showing 3 new XB 1000s (Japan import) for $298.50 each; a decent enough price if you really want to own it.

post #21 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennito View Post

 I'll keep everyone updated.

 

Thanks.

The MDR Z1000 *looks* to similar in terms of specifications to the XB 1000. I wonder if it is the intended replacement.  Amazon is showing 3 new XB 1000s (Japan import) for $298.50 each; a decent enough price if you really want to own it.



na, those are the ones i mentioned earlier, last week the most expensive ones were 299 flat rate shipped, now that same 299 got pumped to basically 370 with "shipping" and thats the cheapest one, the others are bordering on the $400 price range, i barely felt comfortable spending 270 for the pair i ordered and never got, no way in hell im going anywhere near 400 for these


Edited by Dutchi MerenGue - 3/28/12 at 4:08pm
post #22 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchi MerenGue View Post

no way in hell im going anywhere near 400 for these


I hear you. I fell into a pair from Beach Audio last October for $188, which I think is about what they are worth. The lower range of the high frequencies sound a bit harsh to me and I hear some sibilance.But I'm experimenting with different amplifiers/sources to see if there is a right mix for the XB. As stated elsewhere, I think the XB 1000 may benefit from EQ more than most HPs.
 

 

post #23 of 69

MY XB500's.....need an EQ to sound good and when they do. they aren't accurate but to a muddy hip hop persion that doesn't need clarity for most songs. it's good..but of course i dont use it all the time.

post #24 of 69

q.Q' I might end up being the sap that pays $300 for em [that's what scholarship money is for after all ;3, make the government pay for my cans lol]

 

Still before I switch to another brand, I'd like to try these out. Although I got xb700 and FiioE6 atm... Hopefully I can switch to the E11 soon and by then xb1000 will be in stock again... until then I'm stuck wondering how much more bass can there be in the world ;3

post #25 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

q.Q' I might end up being the sap that pays $300 for em [that's what scholarship money is for after all ;3, make the government pay for my cans lol]

 

Still before I switch to another brand, I'd like to try these out. Although I got xb700 and FiioE6 atm... Hopefully I can switch to the E11 soon and by then xb1000 will be in stock again... until then I'm stuck wondering how much more bass can there be in the world ;3


 

I have the E17...it's more than enough. I can only go up to +4dB out of +10dB(it's actually +14dB) for bass boost.

post #26 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshenay View Post

q.Q' I might end up being the sap that pays $300 for em [that's what scholarship money is for after all ;3, make the government pay for my cans lol]

 

I don't think you would be a sap at $300. I think he original MSRP was even higher. XB 1000  is a cool pair of HP with those unique, big drivers. One wonders if it is a temporary shortage based on the disaster or a discontinuation.

post #27 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennito View Post

I don't think you would be a sap at $300. I think he original MSRP was even higher. XB 1000  is a cool pair of HP with those unique, big drivers. One wonders if it is a temporary shortage based on the disaster or a discontinuation.



The XB series (minus the XB300's) are reasonably priced headphone's. the XB500 is $50, the XB700 is $100 and what not. It starts getting a bit...hmm at the top range but really. IT's soft and plushy and EQ's well. Sure it's not audiophile, but at the same time it doesn't get sparkly or harsh as it doesn't attempt to play stuff it knows it can't play.

post #28 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post



The XB series (minus the XB300's) are reasonably priced headphone's. the XB500 is $50, the XB700 is $100 and what not. It starts getting a bit...hmm at the top range but really. IT's soft and plushy and EQ's well. Sure it's not audiophile, but at the same time it doesn't get sparkly or harsh as it doesn't attempt to play stuff it knows it can't play.



I do think the XB500 has the best price/performance ratio by far, compared to the rest of the XB series. The XB700 might have a more balanced sound, but at that price point there are more valid options to consider, and if someone looks for balanced sound, they won't be going for a XB series headphone.

post #29 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roller View Post



I do think the XB500 has the best price/performance ratio by far, compared to the rest of the XB series. The XB700 might have a more balanced sound, but at that price point there are more valid options to consider, and if someone looks for balanced sound, they won't be going for a XB series headphone.



Yes :) $100 for the XB700 is a bit high for me as there are some AKG's I can get at that price and I didn't want to be biased and be all $300!!?? For a Sony XB? So I just went the safe route and said whatever you like.

 

I got my XB500 for $35 as I won a gift card...I don't use it much but there are those time's when I want bass. Plus I'm going on a cruise in a week or two. I'm not flying down to florida on a 3Hr + ride with another few hours in the car and then waiting in the terminal with a pair of Ultrasone's or Earbuds...heck no! I don't care if I look like a consumer. If any audiophile stops me and says there are better headphones out there.... I would actually be happy :) Although most that do that are newbie's that swear by the ATH M50.

 

Anyway for the carbiean Cruise I would probably bring my earbuds, my XB500......that may be it. I don't even know if I will even bring my E17...i'll probably just go with this setup here:

0AGkT.jpg

 

 

post #30 of 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowei006 View Post


Yes :) $100 for the XB700 is a bit high for me as there are some AKG's I can get at that price and I didn't want to be biased and be all $300!!?? For a Sony XB? So I just went the safe route and said whatever you like.

 

I got my XB500 for $35 as I won a gift card...I don't use it much but there are those time's when I want bass. Plus I'm going on a cruise in a week or two. I'm not flying down to florida on a 3Hr + ride with another few hours in the car and then waiting in the terminal with a pair of Ultrasone's or Earbuds...heck no! I don't care if I look like a consumer. If any audiophile stops me and says there are better headphones out there.... I would actually be happy :) Although most that do that are newbie's that swear by the ATH M50.

 

Anyway for the carbiean Cruise I would probably bring my earbuds, my XB500......that may be it. I don't even know if I will even bring my E17...i'll probably just go with this setup here:

 



And I still stand by my opinion that the Sony XB series have that obscenely comfortable feel to them :)

 

Unfortunately I can't really go with IEMs or buds in general, I just love some full sized cans (no pun intended).

 

Well, you would be more satisfied with carrying the E17 around, even if your cans don't really need the added driving power to sound adequate.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Sony MDR-XB1000 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WHAT????