- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- categoryOver Eartagged by System, 5/23/12
- brandSonytagged by System, 5/23/12
- productSony mdr xb 1000tagged by System, 5/23/12
- productSony MDR-XB500 40mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
- productSony MDR-XB700 50mm XB Diaphragm Driver Extra Bass Headphonestagged by System, 5/23/12
Related Forum Threads
- Sony MDR xb1000? NEw? OMG Last post on 6/11/14 at 9:15am in Headphones (full-size)
- Bass Headphone Recommendations Last post on 11/24/11 at 9:11am in Headphones (full-size)
- Ultrasone HFI-680 any good? Last post on 9/24/11 at 10:34am in Headphones (full-size)
- Good portable headphones??? Last post on 9/8/11 at 11:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Last edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Sony MDR-XB1000 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WHAT????post #1 of 693/23/12 at 1:23pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 693/23/12 at 1:58pmpost #3 of 693/23/12 at 2:29pmThread Starterpost #4 of 693/23/12 at 3:26pmpost #5 of 693/23/12 at 3:35pm
Why? Both XB500 and XB1000 are interesting headphones although I can understand in case XB1000 is being withdrawn as it's clear at this point it won't be any popular headphone and a special 70 mm driver headphone would almost require to become a hit to be worth having it in the market for the higher production costs/make up for the R&D costs etc.
However I have a hard time seeing XB500 being withdrawn, I think it's more down to Sony not being able to supply as many XB500 as there is demand for so they are just constantly running out of stock everywhere, seems to be among the very most popular headphones these days, so yea XB1000 I can see why it would be withdrawn but the other XB headphones no sane company would withdraw from production anytime soon due to how much they are selling of them.
If I was Sony I'd even introduce a "refreshed" lineup, call it either XB400, XB600, XB800 or XB1300, XB1500, XB1700 with more similar design as XB1000 and maybe some minor tweaks to frequency response and charge like 30~$50 more for every model, there's a lot more potential cash to make from the "Xtra Bass" series. Imagine a XB500 sized but XB1000 design, sold at $80~90 (street pricing at least) and minor tweaks to sound quality, that would sell like hotcakes. The more solid material of XB1000 would probably be enough to make quite an improvement to the bass of XB500 already (the cup is very thin aluminium shell which vibrates like crazy (resonance in the bass, lack of tightness).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/23/12 at 4:15pmpost #6 of 693/23/12 at 4:21pmThread Starterpost #7 of 693/23/12 at 4:28pmpost #8 of 693/23/12 at 5:19pmQuote:
I hope so, I'd buy a refresh XB500/700 "XB1000 look-alike" in an instant as long as it's around $100 or less (unless it has gotten a significant sound quality boost).
Edited by RPGWiZaRD - 3/23/12 at 5:21pmpost #9 of 693/23/12 at 5:30pm
you gotta be ******* kidding me, lol i put in my amazon order about a month ago and its still up but hasnt been shipped, estimated arrival is still sometime in april, im just crossing my fingers and hoping i slid thru at the last second and secured onepost #10 of 693/23/12 at 5:35pmpost #11 of 693/23/12 at 5:36pmpost #12 of 693/23/12 at 5:45pmQuote:
I think somebody needs to contact sony and request more info about this.post #13 of 693/23/12 at 5:46pm
this has been an on-going discussion on a lot of forums for like 3 months now.
i read somewhere the thai flood hit their camera/headphone manufacturing.
a month ago it said the xb700 was gona be restocked april 9 on the sony website.
i presume it would include their other out-of-stock headphones (xb-series, mdr-series). i doubt they've cancelled them.post #14 of 693/23/12 at 6:02pm
- Sony MDR-XB1000 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WHAT????
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price Range
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 4 seconds ago
- › Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up 17 seconds ago
- › Crack;Bottlehead OTL 24 seconds ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 28 seconds ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 2 minutes ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Grado e Series 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › What smartphone screen size do you prefer? 5 minutes ago
- › AKG Acoustics K-240 Semi Open Studio Headphones by jerryg
- › ALO Audio The Pan Am by JoeDoe
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by Zelda
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Kunlun
- › Violectric HPA V281 by saxelrod92
- › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone by lumberjake
- › Schiit Audio Ragnarok by goldendarko
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)