Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Is it ok to get custom iem's at 14.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Is it ok to get custom iem's at 14.

post #1 of 36
Thread Starter 

Hey guys im just wondering if its worth getting custom iem's at 14. im mainly worried that my ears will "grow out of them". do you guys have any recomendations of cheaper customs that i can get and finaly would reshelling lets say the tf 10's be a good option?

 

thanks everyone  .etysmile.gif.


Edited by SuPeRnEwB161 - 3/22/12 at 11:03pm
post #2 of 36

Well your ears will definitely change shape. How long it takes and how often is pretty hard to predict. If you can get the reshells done cheap then I say go for it, reshelling the TF10 would be a good option if you are certain that you are attached to that sound and are happy with it's SQ.

post #3 of 36

Reshelling over time should be a consideration. I'm a couple of years older than you, but I've decided I'll wait for a few more years before pulling the plug on a pair of customs.

post #4 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuPeRnEwB161 View Post

Hey guys im just wondering if its worth getting custom iem's at 14. im mainly worried that my ears will "grow out of them". do you guys have any recomendations of cheaper customs that i can get and finaly would reshelling lets say the tf 10's be a good option?

 

thanks everyone  .etysmile.gif.


Just wait dude. I'm 21 and I'm waiting until I lose some weight until I pull the trigger on customs. Your ear canals will definitely grow and change through puberty, but other things like weight gain or weight loss will also change them.

 

This is unrelated, but I'm short sighted, and I've been told that I need to be at least 25 to get laser eye surgery because if I get it any sooner, my eyes will change and the benefits of the surgery will be negated. I've also heard the brain keeps developing until your late 20's. Your ears and nose, like your hair and fingernails, will continue to grow all the way through your life (although at a slower pace). It's why elderly people usually have bigger noses or ears.

 

So in general, it sounds like your body keeps growing until around 25, so I would at the very least wait until you're done with all the growth spurts that occur through puberty.

 

post #5 of 36
Thread Starter 

 well it looks like re shelling is the way to go thanks alot everyone. its time to go craigslist hunting! biggrin.gif

post #6 of 36
Thread Starter 

just found and got the tf10 and all i can say is WOW i think i almost like the sound sig more than my hd650's

post #7 of 36

Glad you liked it.

post #8 of 36

14 seems to young for customs though... 

post #9 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post

14 seems to young for customs though... 



Don't think it matters too much. He will probably have to reshell them at least every other year so if he can get it done for $100-150 at one of the cheaper one than I say it's not too bad a deal.

 

Better than waiting 6 years (and you ears still change shape then, but not so often).

 

 

tongue_smile.gif

 

post #10 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectDenz View Post



Don't think it matters too much. He will probably have to reshell them at least every other year so if he can get it done for $100-150 at one of the cheaper one than I say it's not too bad a deal.

 

Better than waiting 6 years (and you ears still change shape then, but not so often).

 

 

tongue_smile.gif

 


But let's say $150, he would have to re-shell it every year until his 18 when the ears have a higher probability of staying the same shape. Unless he is really rich, that isn't a very wise decision :l

 

post #11 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post


But let's say $150, he would have to re-shell it every year until his 18 when the ears have a higher probability of staying the same shape. Unless he is really rich, that isn't a very wise decision :l

 


It all depends... I got my customs when I was 15 and I haven't re-shelled them yet since I got them... Luckily my body size didn't change much so i'm assuming my ears didn't change as well. Only modification i've done was applying a thin layer of clear nail polish to increase the overall size giving it a snug fit once again. To OP. If you're convinced, go for it. Just don't become surprised if you ears grow significantly

EDIT: I'm 18 now so it's been 3 years
Edited by planx - 4/4/12 at 8:53am
post #12 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by planx View Post


It all depends... I got my customs when I was 15 and I haven't re-shelled them yet since I got them... Luckily my body size didn't change much so i'm assuming my ears didn't change as well. Only modification i've done was applying a thin layer of clear nail polish to increase the overall size giving it a snug fit once again. To OP. If you're convinced, go for it. Just don't become surprised if you ears grow significantly
EDIT: I'm 18 now so it's been 3 years


How lucky for you :), though I don't think I would put nail polish on my IEMs (LOL)!
 

 

post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremypsp View Post


How lucky for you :), though I don't think I would put nail polish on my IEMs (LOL)!
 

 


It's an extremely effective way of making your CIEMs larger for cheap. There is a smell included to the benefits however... But i'm pretty satisfied with my nail polish idea.
post #14 of 36

This kid is so spoiled!

post #15 of 36

speaking from experience, if you use the custom iem often, your ears will grow around them instead of out of them.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Is it ok to get custom iem's at 14.