Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Upgrading from JVC Marshmallows
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrading from JVC Marshmallows

post #1 of 31
Thread Starter 

Hi everyone, first post here :) I've had my JVC Marshmallows for awhile now, but I've been thinking of getting better earphones. Anyone got any suggestions?

 

Some restrictions:

-Preferably in the $30-50 range, but less is better! Just a student, so would neglect quality for price if possible.

-Earphones / IEM's only

-No clips

-I wear my earphones down, I've been looking around the forums and see some of you guys wear them up. I just tried that and it was just uncomfortable lol. So earphones down.

-Mostly listen to hip hop and RnB

-Wouldn't really consider myself an audiophile. Can't pinpoint those small small differences in quality.

-Aesthetics matter to me

 

Anything else you guys need to know? Thanks in advance!


Edited by terion - 3/22/12 at 4:10pm
post #2 of 31

I guess many will suggest the Soundmagic E10($35). I haven't heard it yet. I like the Panasonic RP-HJE450($23).

post #3 of 31
Thread Starter 

I was already considering the Soundmagic E10 but never heard of the Panasonic, thanks I'll search that up :)

 

I've narrowed down my choices after much research to:

 

-Soundmagic E10

-ViSang R01

-ViSang R02

-Brainwavz Beta

-Brainwavz M1

-JVC HA-FXC80

-JVC HA-FX1X

 

Any opinions?

post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by terion View Post

I was already considering the Soundmagic E10 but never heard of the Panasonic, thanks I'll search that up :)

 

I've narrowed down my choices after much research to:

 

-Soundmagic E10

-ViSang R01

-ViSang R02

-Brainwavz Beta

-Brainwavz M1

-JVC HA-FXC80

-JVC HA-FX1X

 

Any opinions?


I own the JVC HA-FX1X, Visang RO2 and E10 if you want my opinion I put them in this order...

1) E10
2) Visang RO2
3) JVC HA-FX1X


Out of those  I would take the E10 without blinking with Visang RO2 not far behind. The RO2 has a slightly laid back bass compared. If you want more bass get the E10. the JVC do have good bass but it's un-natural and the highs and mids of JVC XX cannot compare to either. It's a totally different league. I'd avoid the JVC considering the other options you have picked. 
 

 


Edited by H20Fidelity - 3/22/12 at 5:42pm
post #5 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


I own the JVC HA-FX1X, Visang RO2 and E10 if you want my opinion I put them in this order...

1) E10
2) Visang RO2
3) JVC HA-FX1X


Out of all those  I would take the E10 without blinking with Visang RO2 not far behind. The RO2 has a slightly laid back bass compared. If you want more bass get the E10. the JVC do have good bass but it's un-natural and the highs and mids of JVC XX cannot compare to either. It's a totally different league. I'd avoide the JVC with the other options you have decided on. 
 

 



If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music do you primarily listen to?

 

And this is probably a stupid question, but everything on my list IS an improvement to the JVC Marshmallows right? lol


Edited by terion - 3/22/12 at 5:43pm
post #6 of 31

I haven't heard the Marshmellows but I imagine it's a nice step up.

I listen to Dubstep, Electronic, House, RnB. The best thing about E10 is it suits anything you throw at it. From metal, classical dubstep. It handles everything in flying colours. the RO2 is still very good but I think the E10 overtakes it considering the R02 is a little dated now aswell. Still great IEM, but E10 is better bang for buck.

post #7 of 31

I have the JVC HAFXC80 and HAFX1X. The HAFXC80 has very nice highs and decent bass. The problem is that is uses a microdriver which is inserted in the ear canal. The hard enclosure of the microdriver makes this very uncomfortable for many.

 

The HAFX1X has plenty of bass, however the bass sounds unnatural. This IEM is huge. It sticks way out of my ears and I have trouble getting a good seal with it.

 

The Panasonic RP-HJE450 has an oval nozzle and ergonomic design, so it fits me very well. It has strong bass, but the bass sounds natural. It also has good detail and nice highs.

post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by terion View Post



If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music do you primarily listen to?

 

And this is probably a stupid question, but everything on my list IS an improvement to the JVC Marshmallows right? lol



I wouldn't bet it on it. Quite a lot of perceived sq is taste, more is acoustic interaction with the ear cavity and whether there is a good seal. Quite a few people rate the Aircushions very highly f they're used with a player with good EQ - I prefer them to HF5s.

post #9 of 31

I have a pair of E10's on order. Can't wait to try them out. That being said I offer a support group for unloved Marshmallows.... Please. Think of the Marshmallows. o_O lol

 

900x900px-LL-f106f87f_IMAG0454.jpeg


Edited by Formula - 3/22/12 at 7:58pm
post #10 of 31
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuttle View Post



I wouldn't bet it on it. Quite a lot of perceived sq is taste, more is acoustic interaction with the ear cavity and whether there is a good seal. Quite a few people rate the Aircushions very highly f they're used with a player with good EQ - I prefer them to HF5s.


Well, I guess I'll just have to find out!

It seems like I'm ruling out the JVC HA-FX1X for the E10's or Panasonics. Shame, I liked the red cord of the JVC. Anyone got any other recommendations?

 

post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by terion View Post


Well, I guess I'll just have to find out!

It seems like I'm ruling out the JVC HA-FX1X for the E10's or Panasonics. Shame, I liked the red cord of the JVC. Anyone got any other recommendations?

 


Red E10's come with a red cable. biggrin.gif


Red E10.jpg


 

post #12 of 31
Thread Starter 

Oh good! I have to say the earphones themselves look better in black though LOL. What a dilemma, choosing the red cord with less appealing earbuds or the black cord with more appealing earbuds.. 1308285480_BVv98u.jpg

 

No matter, I'll just flip a coin I guess. Anyways, if nobody has any new suggestions for other earphones by tomorrow, I guess I'll order the E10's :)

post #13 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post


Red E10's come with a red cable. biggrin.gif


Red E10.jpg


 



All I could find on Amazon was the black and grey ones. The red would looked cool with the red comply tips I have.. Lol.
post #14 of 31

I bought mine from Focalprice. They have red in stock if that help you.  

post #15 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by H20Fidelity View Post

I bought mine from Focalprice. They have red in stock if that help you.  



Thanks. Already have the black and grey on the way though.. :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors › Upgrading from JVC Marshmallows