Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG Infomation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG Infomation Thread - Page 11

post #151 of 229

I am a proud owner of AKG K702 that just recently started referencing for some DIY recording with my band. It has proven to work rather well when doing some analytical mixing, but this doesn't mean that it doesn't sound nice during casual, leisurely listening. I'm looking forward to using some other AKG products down the line just to see the comparison.

post #152 of 229

I agree, they're the perfect compromise between analytical flat (with ever so slightly forward mids, which I like in a monitor) sound, and hi-fi sound.

 

After hearing so much about the DT 880s as studio headphones and even seeing that they won the Sound on Sound "studio headphone shootout" (tied with HD 600), I was pretty disappointed to realize mine sounded like every mix was rubbed in vaseline. They made everything way too smooth and scooped to catch details. The 770s and 990s took this even further and I returned both pretty quickly. I like to hear the fundamental energy of the recording, not a constant showcase of how low and high the loudspeaker can go with the music 5 miles away.

 

Not that the DT 880s are bad headphones at all. They're brilliant for recreational listening. They just have their flatness quite exaggerated, perhaps by recovering "bassheads".

 

The HD600s are nice but for much more money all I felt I was getting was less snappy treble and dorkier looks.

 

As far as comparing to other AKG models, the 702s/702s actually stand out from the AKG "house sound" quite a bit by having low, clear sub-bass. A lot of the other models like the 240s and 271s are all about the lower mids and let the other frequencies do whatever they want. I like that sound for spazzing out to 70s pro rock, but the K 702s are definitely more recording-worthy.


Edited by machoboy - 9/30/12 at 3:22pm
post #153 of 229

Hi!

 

I've recently been reading loads of threads online, trying to learn how to make my audio experience better with a good set of cans on a pc (mainly for gaming but also for music and movies).  After reading many informative threads, including Mad Lust Envy's Gaming Headphone Guide, I decided that I wanted to use the AKG K701 cans powered by some sort of virtual surround sound (either Dolby Headphone or CMSS 3D).  I happen to be building a computer from scratch, so this is a great opportunity to really make a fun sound system.  

 

There seems to be a great deal of debate as to what is really needed to properly drive these cans.  With each new thread I read - with posters supporting both sides with seemingly valid arguments - I become increasingly unsure what I should be using to really do the K701's justice.  

 

Currently, I am in possession of a brand new Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card, which does not even support a direct 1/4" jack, but has CMSS 3D.  If I am to use this sound card, I would most likely purchase the Fiio E9K and use a 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable from monoprice.  

 

Alternatively, I am considering returning the Audigy 2 ZS and buying the Asus Xonar Essence STX which has a built in amp and Dolby Headphone and is supposedly capable of driving the K701.  I would really like this route because it eliminates the need for a desktop amp and allows me to directly connect to my soundcard without the need for an intermediate/external device.

 

I am, however, worried about the large amount of conflicting arguments as to whether or not the STX is enough for these cans.  My number one priority is to be able to use Dolby Headphone or CMSS 3D at the quality that my K701 (purchased but still shipping to me) offers in tandem with pc games such as borderlands 2, bf3, etc, as well as blue ray quality movies and perhaps .flak music.  I am perfectly ready to spend the needed money to back these phones up with an amp, but am unsure if I really need it if it is truly possible to get away with the Xonar Essence STX.

 

That being said, would you recommend keeping the Audigy 2 ZS (CMSS 3D) and simply buy the E9K amp, or return the 2 ZS and purchase the Essence STX (dolby headphone)?  I have come this far, so may as well make sure I can get accurate positional audio :)

 

Cheers!

post #154 of 229

Modded the K 250 somewhat. Put a nylon disc in the cup - covers the entire bottom of the cup. Despite this model having a very bare and unfortunate-looking cup on the inside, adding damping like this didn't change the sound much - according to Ms. CSD, some ringing was eliminated from around 4 kHz, but that's it. But the other mod I did was even simpler, and that was to place a nylon disc on the baffle over the driver but under the stock foam disc - the nylon puck is just big enough to cover the driver opening and nothing else. This had a much larger effect.

 

(All graphs aligned at 984 Hz.)

 

Original K 250:

 

Modded K 250:

 

Much cleaner in the mids. The treble ridges (leftovers from the Sextett - look for a CSD plot for those on Google) were also reduced to more manageable levels. Very nice.

 

Since the nylon disc in front of the K 250 driver worked so well, I tried it on the K 240 DF mod that I outlined a few posts up (the original mod improved on the unmodded DF, but the treble got a bit harsher). The effect of the nylon disc now was just right: treble energy was reduced.

 

Original DF:

 

Modded DF #2:

 

Much cleaner in the mids, and a cleaner treble as well. Vee nice.

 

(Unlike what the date on the graphs says, they've not been measured a month from now but rather in October.)


Edited by vid - 9/30/12 at 6:00pm
post #155 of 229
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaBear View Post

I've recently been reading loads of threads online, trying to learn how to make my audio experience better with a good set of cans on a pc (mainly for gaming but also for music and movies).  After reading many informative threads, including Mad Lust Envy's Gaming Headphone Guide, I decided that I wanted to use the AKG K701 cans powered by some sort of virtual surround sound (either Dolby Headphone or CMSS 3D).  I happen to be building a computer from scratch, so this is a great opportunity to really make a fun sound system.  

There seems to be a great deal of debate as to what is really needed to properly drive these cans.  With each new thread I read - with posters supporting both sides with seemingly valid arguments - I become increasingly unsure what I should be using to really do the K701's justice.  

Currently, I am in possession of a brand new Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card, which does not even support a direct 1/4" jack, but has CMSS 3D.  If I am to use this sound card, I would most likely purchase the Fiio E9K and use a 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable from monoprice.  

Alternatively, I am considering returning the Audigy 2 ZS and buying the Asus Xonar Essence STX which has a built in amp and Dolby Headphone and is supposedly capable of driving the K701.  I would really like this route because it eliminates the need for a desktop amp and allows me to directly connect to my soundcard without the need for an intermediate/external device.

I am, however, worried about the large amount of conflicting arguments as to whether or not the STX is enough for these cans.  My number one priority is to be able to use Dolby Headphone or CMSS 3D at the quality that my K701 (purchased but still shipping to me) offers in tandem with pc games such as borderlands 2, bf3, etc, as well as blue ray quality movies and perhaps .flak music.  I am perfectly ready to spend the needed money to back these phones up with an amp, but am unsure if I really need it if it is truly possible to get away with the Xonar Essence STX.

That being said, would you recommend keeping the Audigy 2 ZS (CMSS 3D) and simply buy the E9K amp, or return the 2 ZS and purchase the Essence STX (dolby headphone)?  I have come this far, so may as well make sure I can get accurate positional audio :)

The Essence STX and Fiio E09(k) use the same amplifier chip, so about equal amplifier wise.

Try this thread for amplifing the Q701.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598004/amping-for-akg-q701

 

If your really into FPS, get a refurb X-Fi Titanium (non-HD), $44.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102043&nm_mc=OTC-FroogleNEW&cm_mmc=OTC-FroogleNEW-_-Sound+Card-_-Creative+Labs-_-29102043

You can then add any external headphone amplifier you like.

post #156 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

The Essence STX and Fiio E09(k) use the same amplifier chip, so about equal amplifier wise.

Try this thread for amplifing the Q701.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/598004/amping-for-akg-q701

 

If your really into FPS, get a refurb X-Fi Titanium (non-HD), $44.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102043&nm_mc=OTC-FroogleNEW&cm_mmc=OTC-FroogleNEW-_-Sound+Card-_-Creative+Labs-_-29102043

You can then add any external headphone amplifier you like.

Thank you!  Will most likely end up going with the STX.  Is it true that Dolby Headphone effects, etc will not work from the STX if you are using an RCA cable?

Will keep you posted

post #157 of 229
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaBear View Post

Thank you!  Will most likely end up going with the STX.  Is it true that Dolby Headphone effects, etc will not work from the STX if you are using an RCA cable?

Will keep you posted

I do like my Essence STX, with AD797BR op-amps.

It's true, no Dolby Headphone effects thru the RCA (line-out) on the Essence, but you can do Dolby Virtual Speaker, which is a feature that does nothing for headphones.

The headphone amplifier on the STX can work with headphones from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm.

The S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output(s) can pass Dolby Headphone surround sound, you would need both an external DAC (optical or coaxial input) and external headphone amplifier.

The Titanium HD can pass CMSS-3D (headphone surround sound) thru the RCA outputs.

post #158 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel View Post

I do like my Essence STX, with AD797BR op-amps.

It's true, no Dolby Headphone effects thru the RCA (line-out) on the Essence, but you can do Dolby Virtual Speaker, which is a feature that does nothing for headphones.

The headphone amplifier on the STX can work with headphones from 32-Ohm to 600-Ohm.

The S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) output(s) can pass Dolby Headphone surround sound, you would need both an external DAC (optical or coaxial input) and external headphone amplifier.

The Titanium HD can pass CMSS-3D (headphone surround sound) thru the RCA outputs.

Okay, no worries though since the K701 plugs in directly via the 1/4" jack.  The only thing I would imagine possibly connecting through the RCA would be some sort of external speaker set up which would then just use the Virtual Speaker.  Would you recommend a certain way of connecting external speakers to the STX to optimize the best "surround" or stereo effects?  Perhaps plugging it into a home entertainment system receiver followed by surround speakers?  I will obviously be mainly using the STX to power my lovely cans but am curious if I will ever be able to run some sort of home entertainment system off of my pc/sound card.

post #159 of 229
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaBear View Post

Okay, no worries though since the K701 plugs in directly via the 1/4" jack.  The only thing I would imagine possibly connecting through the RCA would be some sort of external speaker set up which would then just use the Virtual Speaker.  Would you recommend a certain way of connecting external speakers to the STX to optimize the best "surround" or stereo effects?  Perhaps plugging it into a home entertainment system receiver followed by surround speakers?  I will obviously be mainly using the STX to power my lovely cans but am curious if I will ever be able to run some sort of home entertainment system off of my pc/sound card.

You can run 5.1 compressed audio (using DDL) from the S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) from the Essence STX to any modern A/V receiver.

post #160 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Jag View Post


I don't know about the portables, but the Q 701 is the flagship of the line--and may be the last can still made in Austria (at least for now).

 

From what I have seen, all the QJ cans are based on existing AKG headphones that are tweaked and may also include extra accessories that the regular line does not include.

 

My K702s were made in Austria. They are 18 months old, so the current may not be.

post #161 of 229

I just got my K 702s last week and they're made in Austria.

 

It's a shame AKG moved the lower-priced stuff to generic foreign factories, but for now the high end models are still made by the true AKG Austrian factories.


Edited by machoboy - 10/1/12 at 2:17am
post #162 of 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by machoboy View Post

I just got my K 702s last week and they're made in Austria.

 

It's a shame AKG moved the lower-priced stuff to generic foreign factories, but for now the high end models are still made by the true AKG Austrian factories.

 

I had a pair of AKG K 240 DF, which were supposed to be a higher-end studio model. They had Made in Austria on them as a badge of honor, yet the construction inside the phones was terrible. Cheap refuse plastic and every solder joint cold. Clearly AKG were cost-cutting regardless of location of factory.

 

On the other hand, I had a pair of AKG K 241, which were AKG's mid-level home phones in the late '70s, a few decades before the DF I had. The K 241 were Made in Austria as well but had nice construction: good-looking plastic (aluminum-reinforced for screws) and nice solder joints as well.

 

I took the DF drivers out of the DF cups and put them in the K 241 cups - not surprisingly, the sound was better. Even though both cups had been made in Austria.

post #163 of 229

my first pair of headphones will be a k550.pretty excited to hear higher end audio. *countdown 2 days :)


Edited by DGriff0400 - 10/3/12 at 5:07am
post #164 of 229

I received my akg k240s cans a week ago and just let them burn in without much listening but now they have 50 hours on them I thought it was time to give them a good listen. I pluged them into my phone and thought ehh obout as good as my v6 cans ok but nothing special. But thought even though their 55 ohm I'd try them with a amp. so I plugged them into my vintage (1972) sony str-6065 often called the baby mac. These 240's came to life the bass more extended and more controled with no flabby boomy bass, voices became more natural and the highs had more air. So I found these truely do like power and they put my v6's back on the rack to collect dust.
 

post #165 of 229

Hope you have the time to look through my post.

If you notice, I have enquiries on getting a suitable pair of headphones with High OHM preferably over 100 if possible.

 

Tried Seinnheiser PX100 & PX200 2nd generation.

Sorry but it sounds a little crappy to me.X___X

 

What I am looking for is studio-like headphones for just listening purpose plugged to mp3 player or CDwalkman.

 

And I was introduced to AKG HD272 &HD 242 by a salesman.

Sounds all right but not enough vocal loudness so I am wondering if there's any better?

I just want to capture the recording with Original Bass and effects.

 

So any recommendations?

 

 I am looking for a good pair of high-impedance headphones....so I figured out high impedance = full size headphones. Current pair is only 32 ohm seinnheiser PX200. Yes low impedance but really pretty clear & good for the price & durability. It wont break! Any headphones with over 100 ohm and wide frequency like at least 10-30000 or above? Must it have large output power too like 500 to 1000? How about db...what is that?

 

I went to headphone store and was recommend AKG HD 272 or 242.

With cheap fiio  amp quality is sooooo different an crystal clear....just a bit lack of bass,punch and clarity loudness like sein 200 PX but good!

What do you guys think? Or should I hit on other brands' studio headphones?

Salesman told me not to get headphones for mixing and Dj-ing type as the range is pretty flat.

Located in Singapore.

Budget is USD 200 to 250 hopefully.

 

Usage is only for appreciating original recording's music with a loud clear vocals,music effects & original soundstage.

For travelling purpose too but not when walking under the sun.

 

Also, for high impedance headphones, what kind of amp should I be getting? I hope not to get bulky amp due to frequent usage and moving around. Any thread can recommend me?

 

 

Any help on the technical specs I should be looking into and that will fit a pair of headphones ranging 200-300 USD?

 

 

Are you able to introduce any AKG models to me? Or HD 272 or 242 is good enough? Which type of amp then should I buy for which kind of headphone?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG Infomation Thread