Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG Appreciation and Infomation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The AKG Appreciation and Infomation Thread - Page 9

post #121 of 199

I have some 20 year old 270 Playbacks that have hardly ever been used,

and I never use them, are they worth keeping?

post #122 of 199
There are some K271 Mk IIs on Amazon as low as $130. Is it generally believed that this is too good of a deal to be true? Don't want a counterfeit pair, obviously. For a little bit more, $163 in total with shipping, there's a highly rated seller called Beach Audio that offers them. Has anyone heard of them, or have general feelings on prices this low? They're $230 on HeadRoom.

This is just a pair I'm looking at and wanted to get an opinion. Thanks.
post #123 of 199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIsGood View Post
There are some K271 Mk IIs on Amazon as low as $130. Is it generally believed that this is too good of a deal to be true? Don't want a counterfeit pair, obviously. For a little bit more, $163 in total with shipping, there's a highly rated seller called Beach Audio that offers them. Has anyone heard of them, or have general feelings on prices this low? They're $230 on HeadRoom.
This is just a pair I'm looking at and wanted to get an opinion. Thanks.

On amazon there are like 4 sellers in the $140 price range So $130 for the AKG K271 MKII is possible.

But I'm guess some of these sellers are not autherized, so you may not get a warrenty with them.

Some places will try to sell the AKGs for a way marked up price, like $250.

If they are counterfit, then at least you can get Amazon involved for the dispute.

 

On eBay the seller ProAudioStar is selling almost new AKG K271 MKII for $111.00 with free shipping.

I've bought from them a few times

 

Several sellers on eBay are under $140.

 

But the ones at ProaudioStar look like the best deal.

post #124 of 199

I just won the K501 a few days ago on ebay. These will hopefully be my permanent complement to my HD650s which I love very much. As a classical lover, I'm looking forward to those "killer" mids and soundstage.


Edited by juantendo8 - 5/12/12 at 10:56am
post #125 of 199

Now that I have a K1000, its becoming harder to listen to my other cans.  The presentation is unlike any other headphone I've ever listened to making it difficult to compare against others.

post #126 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsubox View Post

Hi everyone! Been reading the various akg threads and the q/k701 comparisons lately. Do you all think the Q701 would be a good complementary pair of headphones to the Grado SR225i? I'd like them to cover the acoustic/classical music I listen to.
It's always hard to make decisions when everything is so subjective, but as folks who actually own the stuff, I trust it a lot more biggrin.gif

Sounds like a perfect pairing to me. I've owned the 225's and now own the Rs1's aswell as the K702's. I love my Rs1's for small ensemble music both classical and jazz, but the 702's are exceptional with orchestral and more complex acoustic music.

post #127 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBloodWine View Post

Would the Little Dot 1 + Hybrid be a good amplifier for driving the Q701s?

I think the LD1+ is a great litttle amp with the K/Q70X's (or any low impedance phone). Only, it does need some minor mods to sound it's best, 408a tubes and a burr brown 2107 opamp. Or see the LD1+ thread.

 

Not the most refined of amps but very good for the money. 

post #128 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugBug1 View Post

Sounds like a perfect pairing to me. I've owned the 225's and now own the Rs1's aswell as the K702's. I love my Rs1's for small ensemble music both classical and jazz, but the 702's are exceptional with orchestral and more complex acoustic music.

Oh no.... you're gonna try and make me spend money I don't have at the moment... lol. :o)

 

Two more pay checks, that's my goal!

post #129 of 199
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIsGood View Post

There are some K271 Mk IIs on Amazon as low as $130. Is it generally believed that this is too good of a deal to be true? Don't want a counterfeit pair, obviously. For a little bit more, $163 in total with shipping, there's a highly rated seller called Beach Audio that offers them. Has anyone heard of them, or have general feelings on prices this low? They're $230 on HeadRoom.
This is just a pair I'm looking at and wanted to get an opinion. Thanks.

Thomann in Germany sometimes has really good price, order multiable headphones, shares shipping costs.

post #130 of 199

I was a bit skeptical of the K 240 DF initially, but now that I've dug them out again after some months, I do see the charm as well. A nicely clear sound foremost, and with not much standing out unnecessarily (if you don't mind bright). Neat.

 

Not quite sure about the price, though... I think I paid 57 e for this pair (not in the best of shape), and that's about decent I'd say. But it seems a more typical price still hovers around the K 501 mark...


Edited by vid - 7/18/12 at 4:48pm
post #131 of 199
Thread Starter 

Anyone ever compared the K550 to the K242HD?

post #132 of 199

This evening's dug-up is the K 241. Been a few months since I last heard them.

 

Rather than using words all my own, I'll quote an AKG marketing brochure via Google translator. The K 241, according to the text, sounds "dry, straight and very present". Curiously for a marketing blurb, it's very truthful. My ears hear something quite dry and snappy; a peculiar sound for vintage phones. The ad moreover states that this sound is "preferred" by "lovers" of electronic music. Indeed, the K 241 sound neat for electronic music. I'd propose that they're somewhat of an all-purpose phone.

 

But as such, I'm not sure what particularly stands out about the K 241. I guess their dryness is the main attraction if you will. Other than that, they're neat vintage phones with well-controlled bass, good mids and passable highs within that overall dryness and snappiness of sound. Modestly nifty.

 

The K 241 is AKG's first diffuse field equalized model – beating the K 240 DF to it by several years.


Edited by vid - 7/19/12 at 4:32pm
post #133 of 199

The K240s is really doing it for me lately. I've been listening to it more than the K601 this week! The K240s was being used more for movies because the bass hump usually annoys me with music. I'm thinking the FIIO E17 helps tighten up the somewhat bloated bass unlike my receiver which enhances it. Plus i can use the bass EQ to lower it when needed. Sometimes I wonder why I keep on buying headphones when this combo works so well.

post #134 of 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticfi View Post

The K240s is really doing it for me lately. I've been listening to it more than the K601 this week! The K240s was being used more for movies because the bass hump usually annoys me with music. I'm thinking the FIIO E17 helps tighten up the somewhat bloated bass unlike my receiver which enhances it. Plus i can use the bass EQ to lower it when needed. Sometimes I wonder why I keep on buying headphones when this combo works so well.


I'm guessing you're referring to the Studio model? But yeah, I liked those a lot when I had them. They were a real nice fitting and sounding headphone, and I do agree about the receiver sound. I experienced that same thing, but once I got an amp the bass tightened a bit. I'm going to pick up another pair sometime in the future. Currently, I've been using the K240 Sextett and loving them.

post #135 of 199

Yeah, the Studio. Never heard the Sextett unfortunately. One day I would love to own all the different K240 models. Wait, my wallet just ran away from me!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The AKG Appreciation and Infomation Thread