Has anyone tried the valhala with the Beyer T1's? i am looking for a quality tube amp under $600 and am considering it and the Woo WA3. Any help would be awesome.
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/25/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/25/12
- brandSchiittagged by System, 5/25/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/25/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 5/25/12
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by redmaw, 2/6/13
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 5/25/12
- productSchiit Mjolnirtagged by redmaw, 2/6/13
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 5/25/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for help with deciding on an amp, plus some DAC confusion. Last post on 6/11/12 at 5:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP/DAC for LCD-2 Last post on 6/20/13 at 7:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 5/17/13 at 3:58am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-2 Best Amp Last post on 1/12/13 at 4:52pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 6/4/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
*Review to come*
Bought those as a portable go-to set (subway use, airplanes, travelling, etc.) and am so far very pleased. I previously used Etymotic IEM's (ER-4P and HF3) which are known for their clarity and...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/685339/new-akg-flagship-k812-first-impression/120#post_10026763 Now I correct the Google translate - I use http://www.dict.cc/ and my (small) knowledge of English I hope...
Sounds great with the modded AKG Q701. Nearly as good with that as my main amp that originally cost $350. Impressive! In fact, the Vali added nothing to the sound of the modded Q701, which is...
*I listened to the Westone 4Rs using iPhone 4S and the latest iPod Classic (6th Generation). The below sums up my listening experience from these sources only.* The Westone 4Rs fit my ears...
Schiit Owners Unite - Page 49post #721 of 369411/18/12 at 2:47pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #722 of 369411/18/12 at 3:31pmThread Starterpost #723 of 369411/18/12 at 6:54pmQuote:
I have and I own both. Valhalla drives T1's pretty good but it lacks a bit punch in the bass. Overall I would recommend it though. Very good value for the price.post #724 of 369411/18/12 at 7:02pmQuote:Quote:
Not that you asked, but the Lyr would likely be better with the 600 Ohm Beyer T1s.post #725 of 369411/18/12 at 7:45pmQuote:
I own Lyr too and T1 sounds spectacular with it. Much more detailed and the bass got a good impact. Not that the Valhalla is bad for T1's, but Lyr drives them much better.post #726 of 369411/18/12 at 9:08pmpost #727 of 369411/19/12 at 5:27am
So I've been mostly lurking (It's research!) for a while and I'm trying to find some opinions on how noticeable to upgrade from the Pure I20 to the Bifrost would be. So far I've only found one reference and I'm looking for more opinions. Right now I'm:
32gb Touch with mostly 320VBR AAC's>Pure i20 as Transport/DAC>Valhalla>HD650's
I'm looking to go to:
32gb Touch with mostly 320VBR AAC's>Pure i20 as Transport>Bifrost>Valhalla>HD650's
And I'm just looking for opinions on that. Do I need to be using ALAC/FLAC files to benefit from the Bifrost, as it is I can't tell the difference between my 320VBR AAC's and some stuff I ripped (same song) as ALAC.
So far I'm really happy with my setup, after years of UE SF5Pro's and a few months with TH10's this is my first around the ear setup. Most songs sound great, some sound unreal (bach cello & the Wild Things soundtrack were both Holy $h!t moments)
Danpost #728 of 369411/19/12 at 6:08amThread Starter
I can hear the difference between 256 kbs and ALAC files. I've never encoded in 320 kbs, so I can't comment. With the cost of hard drives being lower now than ever, space is never really an issue. There's really no reason to encoded lossless anymore because if you want to fill up a portable player, you can reduce the bitrate on the fly while filling it.
post #729 of 369411/19/12 at 6:39am
I guess partly I was trying to describe my listening level, I don't know what metal ears I have, I just know they aren't Golden. So given the fact that I can't hear the difference between 320AAC and ALAC, will I hear the difference between the Pure I20 DAC and the Bifrost? I have found almost nothing in my searches comparing the two. I don't want to spend another $350 just so my setup will look cooler, though it certainly would...
320 also pretty much fills my 32gb touch. ALAC would cut what I have on there to 1/3 the current level (roughly based on the couple of ALAC CD's I've ripped). My music setup location does not lend itself to a laptop and harddrive just yet. Maybe someday I won't care about how much space I use...
post #730 of 369411/19/12 at 7:03amThread Starter
If your ears can't tell the difference, then that's all that matters. The DAC in the i20 is actually pretty good. It is a step up from the iPod's built in DAC, and not too far behind the V-DAC II. The i20 and V-DAC II are pretty similar in soundstage and detail, but the V-DAC is more refined and smooth.
post #731 of 369411/19/12 at 7:55am
I'm a huge proponent of storing in FLAC or ALAC purely because you never know how encoders are going to change in the future. Look at how much LAME has changed over the past 5 years, for example. With lossless storage you can always encode again when lossy formats change.post #732 of 369411/19/12 at 7:55ampost #733 of 369411/19/12 at 8:35amThread Starter
I would not consider an external DAC if you were using lossy formats; DACs maximize their performance with lossless tracks. Putting premium gasoline in a Honda Accord does not make it Ferrari.post #734 of 369411/19/12 at 8:46am
Then maybe I'll just stop and enjoy for a while. Consider the system done until I can tell the difference between ALAC and 320 VBR AAC... It does sound awfully good as it is...
- Schiit Owners Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)
- › Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22? 12 seconds ago
- › The Stax Thread III 15 seconds ago
- › HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Impressions and feedback. 33 seconds ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 47 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 54 seconds ago
- › Moto X... best built in audio amplifier phone? 1 minute ago
- › The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread 1 minute ago
- › AUDEZE LCD XC 1 minute ago
- › Vienna/Austria Meet? 2 minutes ago
- › How many headphones is too much? 2 minutes ago
- › Beats Studio Over-Ear Headphone (Black) - NEW by JGrignon
- › Logitech UE 6000 by HeretixAevum
- › Shure SE215 Black by starlan
- › AKG K812 by FritzS
- › Schiit Vali by tdockweiler
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by Wilderbeast
- › ecp audio L-2 Parafeed Headphone Amplifier by minimus
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by DrumminD21311
- › FiiO RC-MH1 Headphone Upgrade Cable by SkyBleu
- › Sennheiser CX 175 by thesurvivor90
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop &... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Cables &... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Wireless... by warrenpchi