Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 416

post #6226 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by NzAudezey View Post
 

Hey Guys,

 

New here but had the Gungnir/Mjolnir stack running some LCD 2 rev 2's through toxic cables Silver Poisons for just over a year.


Anyone else running the same?

 

Would love to hear some impressions of the Gungnir\Mjolnir stack with LCD2's

Did this until 3 months ago or so...Listen, the Gungnir/Mojo stack is a fine combo for the Audez'e cans. I had the 2.2 and the 3 (I thought the 3 was slightly better with the stack). With the 2.2s, the bass was impactful and deep without being boomy, the mids were a tad veiled to my ears and the top end was smooth. The mids became better with the 3. With the G/M stack, its like sitting in the front row to hear the music. So its going to be a tad aggressive but that was fine with me.

post #6227 of 6958

So I just found out that the MacBook Pro supports toslink natively through the 3.5mm audio port.  I ordered the Bifrost for $350 and it will arrive tomorrow. :)  I'll have the Modi and the Bifrost to jump between - let the games begin!

post #6228 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

So I just found out that the MacBook Pro supports toslink natively through the 3.5mm audio port.  I ordered the Bifrost for $350 and it will arrive tomorrow. :)  I'll have the Modi and the Bifrost to jump between - let the games begin!

 

Well that didn't take long. :biggrin: 

post #6229 of 6958

Do you lose the ability for asynchronous data transfer when using Toslink? I've never used it so I honestly don't know. 

post #6230 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJTech View Post
 

Do you lose the ability for asynchronous data transfer when using Toslink? I've never used it so I honestly don't know. 

What does that mean and why would it matter?

post #6231 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zojokkeli View Post
 

 

Well that didn't take long. :biggrin: 

Heh, well, I don't deal well with tension.

post #6232 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

What does that mean and why would it matter?

 

Out of the office for lunch, here's a good read on the subject: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

 

Very basically, asynchronous data transfer means that your DAC's clock controls the timing of the data rather than the PC/Laptop controlling it. I know that Schiit has done a great job with their Asynchronous USB...I honestly don't know if you lose anything with regards to the DAC controlling the computer when you use Toslink or not.

 

Congratulations on your Biforst and I hope that it works out great for you.   

post #6233 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

Heh, well, I don't deal well with tension.

 

I've been going through my stuff with Bifrost for a couple of hours now, and I'm happy to inform that this one's a keeper. You won't be disappointed. :beerchug:

post #6234 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLJTech View Post
 

 

Out of the office for lunch, here's a good read on the subject: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/USB.html

 

Very basically, asynchronous data transfer means that your DAC's clock controls the timing of the data rather than the PC/Laptop controlling it. I know that Schiit has done a great job with their Asynchronous USB...I honestly don't know if you lose anything with regards to the DAC controlling the computer when you use Toslink or not.

 

Congratulations on your Biforst and I hope that it works out great for you.   

 

That's only for USB though, which he isn't going to be using with Bifrost.

post #6235 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post
 

What does that mean and why would it matter?

 

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand about this stuff (which isn't much), optical is more likely to have jitter issues, USB is more likely to have noise issues. But Schiit has done a great job with their DACs and I don't think you'll have any issues. 

 

The only known downside I've discovered with optical/Mac is that Mac can't output 192/24 via toslink. I don't submit to the "HD" stuff so its not an issue for me (I run my output at 44.1/16). May or may not be an issue for you. 

post #6236 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchandler3 View Post
 

 

I wouldn't worry about it. From what I understand about this stuff (which isn't much), optical is more likely to have jitter issues, USB is more likely to have noise issues. But Schiit has done a great job with their DACs and I don't think you'll have any issues. 

 

The only known downside I've discovered with optical/Mac is that Mac can't output 192/24 via toslink. I don't submit to the "HD" stuff so its not an issue for me (I run my output at 44.1/16). May or may not be an issue for you. 

Well, I can always upgrade components if I find that I can't live without it.  That's kind of a bummer though.  With my new LDC-XC's I certainly can tell the difference between an mp3, higher quality Spotify stream and a lossless file.  Baby steps. :0)

post #6237 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naugrim View Post

Well, I can always upgrade components if I find that I can't live without it.  That's kind of a bummer though.  With my new LDC-XC's I certainly can tell the difference between an mp3, higher quality Spotify stream and a lossless file.  Baby steps. :0)

Oh no doubt hearing a difference. I ONLY listen to lossless files. But I don't hear a difference between 44.1/16 and 192/24, and I doubt you would either. Nasty lossy MP3s are a very different story.
post #6238 of 6958

So what do you guys think of Vali Vs Asgard? 

post #6239 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

So what do you guys think of Vali Vs Asgard? 


I think it would be a close game with Vali jumping out to an early lead but Asgard making a second half surge. But in the end, I think Ditka wins in a blowout by 50.

 

Cheers


Edited by ab initio - 7/31/14 at 3:39pm
post #6240 of 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzziekiwi View Post
 

So what do you guys think of Vali Vs Asgard? 

I've got both and prefer the Asgard 2 for the below reasons.

  • More power. I have an HE-500, etc, etc, etc.
  • Less noise
  • Gain switch (Hi, Lo)
  • No Microphonics (not too big of a deal anyway).
  • Warms my house better in the winter

Edited by StanD - 7/31/14 at 5:51pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite