- 7 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- brandSchiittagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by redmaw, 2/5/13
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Mjolnirtagged by redmaw, 2/5/13
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 5/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for help with deciding on an amp, plus some DAC confusion. Last post on 6/11/12 at 5:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP/DAC for LCD-2 Last post on 6/20/13 at 7:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-2 Best Amp Last post on 1/30/14 at 9:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/10/14
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
my repost from: http://www.head-fi.org/t/623894/review-logitech-ue9000-ultimate-ears-headphones-released-the-ue4000-ue6000-and-the-ue9000-impressions-thread/930 Just my two cents, to me, I feel...
When MEE was describing their new iems to me this is what they said: "... these earphones heavily emphasize comfort and appearance, they have nicely balanced sound that is less bassy compared to...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be included...
Some people may remember my Mrice E100 review which tells about being the best 2014 earbud king ? … with Blox BE3 .. you can forget that ! welcome to the new earbud that comes from another world...
Hi people. I have owned a pair of these earphones for over a year now, and this is what I think about them. I am a beginner reviewer so please, have some understanding. Also, English is not my...
Schiit Owners Unite - Page 39post #571 of 690711/1/12 at 8:51pmWell I got the Bifrost and Valhalla today and needless to say I am blown away by the sound, pretty much everything from Pink Floyd to deadmau5 sounds unbelievable. I'm not enough of an audiophile to use fancy terms to describe how good it sounds but it was money well spent!
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #572 of 690711/2/12 at 5:58am
Would you recomend the Asgard + Bifrost as the first external DAC+amp for the noob here (myself), to use with the DT880-250 and the K550?post #573 of 690711/2/12 at 6:44amQuote:Originally Posted by rlarsen462
Well I got the Bifrost and Valhalla today and needless to say I am blown away by the sound, pretty much everything from Pink Floyd to deadmau5 sounds unbelievable. I'm not enough of an audiophile to use fancy terms to describe how good it sounds but it was money well spent!
Congratspost #574 of 690711/2/12 at 7:52amQuote:
Yes...I have Senn hd 800 and it drives great! Asgard will drive yours too..post #575 of 690711/2/12 at 8:28am
Congrats rlarsen462! I have the Lyr and have played the tube-rolling game. I was able to listen to the Valhalla at CanJam. I was going to go down the Ortho path but have decided to stick with my HD600/HD650's. If I was going to purchase a Schiit amp again it would be the Valhalla over the Lyr. For the Sennheiser headphones the Valhalla has more warmth, bloom and soundstage over the Lyr. I think you made the right choice.post #576 of 690711/2/12 at 8:43amQuote:
Originally Posted by jhelsas
Would you recomend the Asgard + Bifrost as the first external DAC+amp for the noob here (myself), to use with the DT880-250 and the K550?
The Asgard pairs wonderfully with the 880s (250 ohm).
I don't have the Bifrost, but I've got to assume that it would sound excellent.post #577 of 690711/2/12 at 4:35pmQuote:Originally Posted by rlarsen462
Hello all, just joined the forum after picking up an HD 650 (and annoying my wife with the open back design which is part of the allure). Love the headphones, but I've only been listening to them through a NuForce Icon-2 that I plan on returning. I am awaiting delivery of a Bifrost and Valhalla, but with all the talk of the Lyr (I waffled pretty bad between Valhalla and Lyr) makes me wonder if I made the right decision.
I suppose the best remedy is to just listen to the Valhalla as much as a I can and if I'm not a fan try out the Lyr? Is there anything I would specifically be missing with the Valhalla over the Lyr? I should note I have never listened to a tube amp either with full size loudspeakers or headphones. :)
My take, and my personal opinions only regarding Schiit Lyr and Valhalla.
Not sure if you will be missing anything choosing the Valhalla with just the HD-650. But IMO the Lyr is more versatile spec-wise than the Valhalla in case you change headphones or use the unit as a preamp.
Zout=25 ohms as compared to 1 ohm for the Lyr - for best result on the Valhalla, headphones paired with it should not go below 250 ohms(HD-650 is from 300 to 530 if I recall correctly). The Lyr, has more flexibility range-wise, as per spec, it will perform as designed as long as the impedance is not lower than 8 Ohms(even a 16 ohm speakers with mid sensitivity of 95-96 dB will probably be okay to drive).
Power=30 Vpp(~2W, 33 dB) for the Valhalla and (36dB, ~4W) for the Lyr. IMO, not only the Lyr provides much higher headroom but will also drive amps, if use as a preamp, much better than the Valhalla because it can sink more current to the load. Also, on preamp use, the OTL is more "sensitive" to impedance swing of the load compared to other amplifier topologies if I am not mistaken.
I have an OTL amp that I love (not the Valhalla) and of course the Lyr/Bifrost combo. My 40-60 ohms headphone although sounds good with OTL amp, I feel that it can be improved at times but with the Lyr, it sounds exceptional to me. If I do not listen to rock and pop, OTL amp is more than enough for me as it is smooth and "tubey". For me, IMHO, even if I only have the HD650, I find the Lyr a much sound(no pun intended!) investment because of what it has that the Valhalla does not in terms of power. As for "smooth and more info on the top", the Lyr is a chameleon with the tubes being use on them. IME, I would say that you can get both the "smoother" and "higher detail" presentation but with much better bass grip by finding the right tubes for the Lyr tailored to your preference.
Again, what I wrote above is my "personal take" only of course. Whatever you decide to get, I am sure it will be fun with the HD-650!
**My Schiit amp/DAC combo below using Herbie's Tenderfoot that I bought from my old speaker project before. I choose them over isolation cones (as I got plenty of those of different sizes from StillPoints up to BDR Racing cones) for the ease, stability, and convenience it provides when plugging and un-plugging headphones.
Edited by amandarae - 11/2/12 at 6:42pmpost #578 of 690711/3/12 at 11:24amQuote:
Thanks very much for the info.
They would be taking the place of a xonar stx, to be sold as soon as I buy it's replacement.
I'm realy interested now for the asgard + bifrost combo...post #579 of 690711/3/12 at 12:33pmQuote:Originally Posted by Lee Harvey
Congrats rlarsen462! I have the Lyr and have played the tube-rolling game. I was able to listen to the Valhalla at CanJam. I was going to go down the Ortho path but have decided to stick with my HD600/HD650's. If I was going to purchase a Schiit amp again it would be the Valhalla over the Lyr. For the Sennheiser headphones the Valhalla has more warmth, bloom and soundstage over the Lyr. I think you made the right choice.
I purchased a Bifrost/Lyr combo over the summer thinking I would quickly pick up a LCD-2, but the new rig improved my Senn HD-600's so much that I've paused on that idea. I may still go for it at some later date, but the Bifrost/Lyr/HD-600 is a fantastic set up. You may be well right about the Valhalla, but I'm not complainingpost #580 of 690711/3/12 at 3:24pmpost #581 of 690711/3/12 at 3:26pmThread Starterpost #582 of 690711/3/12 at 4:37pm
Fed Ex tried to deliver my Mjolnir + Gungnir (for my HD800s) yesterday but I was at work. I had no tracking/shipping info from Schiit so I didnt even know it was on the way. I'll be picking it up from their office on Monday.
Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on my cables from BTG-Audio so it doesnt matter anyway. The wait will be torture.post #583 of 690711/3/12 at 6:55pmpost #584 of 690711/3/12 at 7:12pmQuote:
A bit sibilant for me, but overall a good match.post #585 of 690711/3/12 at 7:24pm
- Schiit Owners Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › FiiO X1, the first high-res DAP for the young ! 14 seconds ago
- › FS: Audio Technica ATH-M40x 28 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 1 minute ago
- › The FitEar CIEM Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › [NEW] FiiO E11K Portable Amplifier Info/News Thread (Early... 2 minutes ago
- › Best Headphones under $500 2 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200) 4 minutes ago
- › Dubstep Girl's Massive 5AR4/5R4/5U4G Rectifier Review/Comparison!... 4 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE9000 Noise-Cancelling Wireless Headphones by SennsAsian
- › Crystal by MEElectronics In-Ear Headphones with Microphone Made... by indieman
- › Fidue A31s by djvkool
- › Blox BE3 by subwoof3r
- › Apple EarPods with Remote and Mic by donniefalcone
- › PCM-M10 Portable Digital Recorder by THD plus N
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by JoeDoe
- › Superlux HD-668 B by donniefalcone
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 by piksnz
- › OPPO BDP-105 Universal Audiophile 3D Blu-ray Player by professor825
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)