Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 373

post #5581 of 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

Valhalla would work less than optimal with low impedance cans like these. But it will work fine. I'd rather take Asgard 2 if you don't mind SS or Lyr 2 (if you really want tubes), though.

Nop. 3.5 ohm output is plenty fine with Grados.

post #5582 of 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

Nop. 3.5 ohm output is plenty fine with Grados.

 

That's if 'low gain' would be enough.

post #5583 of 7205

Lots of great reading on this thread! I think I'm finally caught up with the posts (whew).

 

It's taken a couple of years, but I finally have my complete Schiit setup at home and at work:

 

At home I'm alternating between a Gungnir + Mjolnir combo with balanced Senn HD650s and a Gungnir + Lyr combo with AKG K712 Pros. Still deciding on the tubes I like in the Lyr. At work I have a Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 into a pair of VMODA XS headphones (need to keep it quiet at work, and I like that I can take the VMODAs with me on-the-go...). 

 

So far I'm extremely happy with both of my setups, but I'm still working on developing my "ear" for all the subtleties. The HD650 chain I find to be deeply engaging -- even intoxicating. The AKG K712 chain with the Lyr is a lot of fun to listen to, especially while swapping tubes to discover the nuances of music I didn't realize I had been missing.

 

Might I be missing something with my setup at this point? A mismatch perhaps in gear? I know I could get more out of the at-work setup with a better set of headphones, but I need a closed, over-ear pair (i.e., that nobody near my desk can overhear as it's rather tight quarters). So, I'm still exploring the head-fi forums and online reviews for pair that will best compliment the Bifrost and Asgard.

post #5584 of 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillits View Post
 

Lots of great reading on this thread! I think I'm finally caught up with the posts (whew).

 

It's taken a couple of years, but I finally have my complete Schiit setup at home and at work:

 

At home I'm alternating between a Gungnir + Mjolnir combo with balanced Senn HD650s and a Gungnir + Lyr combo with AKG K712 Pros. Still deciding on the tubes I like in the Lyr. At work I have a Bifrost Uber + Asgard 2 into a pair of VMODA XS headphones (need to keep it quiet at work, and I like that I can take the VMODAs with me on-the-go...). 

 

So far I'm extremely happy with both of my setups, but I'm still working on developing my "ear" for all the subtleties. The HD650 chain I find to be deeply engaging -- even intoxicating. The AKG K712 chain with the Lyr is a lot of fun to listen to, especially while swapping tubes to discover the nuances of music I didn't realize I had been missing.

 

Might I be missing something with my setup at this point? A mismatch perhaps in gear? I know I could get more out of the at-work setup with a better set of headphones, but I need a closed, over-ear pair (i.e., that nobody near my desk can overhear as it's rather tight quarters). So, I'm still exploring the head-fi forums and online reviews for pair that will best compliment the Bifrost and Asgard.


you're set up looks very good to me ! as long as you're happy with the sound if it, i just looked at your inventory, the tele's are some of my favorite tubes !! more to my liking than most of the tubes i'd used, and i tried quite a few,

post #5585 of 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillits View Post
 

It's taken a couple of years, but I finally have my complete Schiit setup at home and at work:

 

I think both your setups are great!

post #5586 of 7205
Brilliant systems! Can't see any weak spots there. But since we're human we can always come up w stuff... The XS are on ears, if I remember right. On ears sometimes bug me so I might look at over ear closed phones for comfort - eg, Momentums, focal, hp50, full size vmodas, etc. But that's just me projecting my personal ear comfort issues 😁
post #5587 of 7205
Hello just a question how does the uber bifrost dac compare to fiio x5 dac? I know it's not fair to com p are the two for the x5 is portable and the schiit uber bifrost is desktop. But I was just curious, thanks.
post #5588 of 7205

Finally caught up as well. With the announcements of the new Lyr and Valhalla 2's, does this mean the end of the famous "fully-upgradable" equipment in this price category? 

post #5589 of 7205
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SymphonicTXN7 View Post
 

Finally caught up as well. With the announcements of the new Lyr and Valhalla 2's, does this mean the end of the famous "fully-upgradable" equipment in this price category? 

 

Only some of their DACs are listed as upgradeable. 

post #5590 of 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post
 

Only some of their DACs are listed as upgradeable. 

 

Indeed. They never promised that for amps.

post #5591 of 7205

Its one thing to swap out an upgraded USB or analog stage plugin board for a DAC yet altogether different to upgrade an amp. The newer versions of the amps may have changes all over the board (including the power supply) and it doesn't appear to me (simply by looking a the pics) that you could even save the case as its doesn't have the holes needed for the gain switch or preamp outputs. 

 

I've got to hand it to Schiit Audio, over the years I've seen companies advertise products as "upgradeable" yet not many actually follow through and make available meaningful upgrades not only at a reasonable price but with the choice to do them yourself or have them done in-house by the manufacturer. I know some companies will upgrade your product, but I can't think of any off hand that does this at Schiit Audio's price points. 

 

Keep in mind that just because a newer version of your AMP or DAC is now available that it doesn't lessen the performance of the product you already own. I do understand that it can be a bit of a bummer if you buy a product and a couple months later its replaced by a different version but just take a deep breath and recall how much you've been enjoying your music through your current model. Go find your so more music that you love, I find that this cures most anything. Good luck and enjoy your music! 

post #5592 of 7205
I know this subject has been discussed many times on head fi but i was wondering how much warm up time (not break in time) do you guys feel it takes your gear to sound optimal. I've noticed the valhalla sounds noticeably better after 1.5 - 2 hours and this time is pretty consistent day after day. Not sure if both my dac and amp warming up are improving the sound or if it's mostly the tubes.
post #5593 of 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac75 View Post

I know this subject has been discussed many times on head fi but i was wondering how much warm up time (not break in time) do you guys feel it takes your gear to sound optimal. I've noticed the valhalla sounds noticeably better after 1.5 - 2 hours and this time is pretty consistent day after day. Not sure if both my dac and amp warming up are improving the sound or if it's mostly the tubes.

I've always found that my tube amps sound fuller after 1-1.5 hours of use.
post #5594 of 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post


I've always found that my tube amps sound fuller after 1-1.5 hours of use.

 

I found that as well with my old Woo6SE.

 

However I also feel my SS amp also benefits from an hour warm up for best results.

post #5595 of 7205
Thread Starter 

My tube gear usually came into its own around 1 hour and my solid state gear did so in under 20 minutes.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite