It would be nice if the Lyr pre-outs worked like the ones on the Asgard 2.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- brandSchiittagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by redmaw, 2/5/13
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
Related Forum Threads
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp and DAC for HE-400s Last post on 9/1/16 at 3:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for help with deciding on an amp, plus some DAC confusion. Last post on 6/11/12 at 5:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just purchased Schiit Lyr and Bifrost! Last post on 1/10/14 at 8:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- So many threads, yet still undecisive (akg k702 amps) Last post on 4/26/11 at 1:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Confusingly, I think Sennheiser is rebranding the Momentum In-Ear (M2 IEi) headphones as HD 1 In-Ear – specifications and appearance are identical. I bought these when my Klipsch S4i started...
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONEvery so often as a reviewer you get a surprise – something not quite expected. Sometimes its...
Hello, This is my first review on Head-Fi, or anywhere else for that matter. I will not go through the normal paces of creating a review based on the set pattern of product history, build and...
The detail, imaging, and sound-staging are accurate and bring your headphones the neutral platform they need in order to perform the way their engineers intended. The DAC is the high point of...
First Impression When I first listened to HD380Pro, I thought that I received a far more expensive headphone. After an hour or so of using them, I still felt that they sound better than...
Schiit Owners Unite - Page 358post #5356 of 123935/23/14 at 12:05pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #5357 of 123935/23/14 at 10:08pmpost #5358 of 123935/23/14 at 10:22pmQuote:
Ha ha 😜, my new tubes came and my Valhalla is singing Bob Dylan so sweetly to me at the moment, so have my Schiit fix for this month. We'll see what June brings.post #5359 of 123935/24/14 at 1:02amQuote:
Yep, time to stop daydreaming . Hit the send button, mate.post #5360 of 123935/24/14 at 2:54am
I could do with a nice top-loading Schiit CD transport. If I asked them nicely...post #5361 of 123935/24/14 at 3:12amQuote:
Please...could you wait until the Yggy and the Rag show up ? Pretty please ?post #5362 of 123935/24/14 at 8:38amQuote:
Alright, some first impressions!
My first hour of listening was straight out of the box, coming from a Bifrost (USB, non-uber), to the RS1i. At first listen, I wasn't too overwhelmed... wasn't quite what I remembered hearing, but memory can be a capricious beast. But over the course of the next hour, I can say the bass is deep and well-defined, but not heavy. This amp is not as bright as I anticipated (especially with the common thought that they don't go well with Grados), and actually I don't really think I'd call it any more bright than the headphones that you plug into them - by definition, I guess I'd call it transparent. I'll plug in my Q701s later, and that should really show if they just emphasize a bright headphone's brightness or not. The PS500 immediately feels more at home with this amp. To my ears, there's less adjustment my brain needs to make listening to the PS500 than the RS1. It could just be the more bassy nature of the PS.
The soundstage of the Asgard 2 is impressive. Grados are not known for their soundstage by any means, but it certainly feels wider and deeper than either the Fiio E09K or the LD1+. Speaking of the E09K, I think I'd call the signatures between the A2 and it similar, the Asgard is just cleaner and more articulate in every way.
The build quality is really, really impressive considering the $250 price tag. Schiit builds good gear - no doubt about that. The volume pot is smooth, with just the right amount of resistance to me. It's a hefty amp, and feels very solid... very sharp edges, though. I may take a small file to the edges to bevel them a bit.
Now, to compare to the LD1+, the A2 is brighter - I'd like to say it's less cozy - than the Little Dot with Voshkods, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Just depends on your taste. As I mentioned before, the main reason I wanted to try this amp alongside the LD1+ is the inherent low-maintenance nature of solid-state. The tubes I have in the LD are very susceptible to RF, and that can put a damper on a good listening session if my tablet or phone are anywhere near the amp.
In the end, I have space for two amps on my listening table. Like having multiple headphones, there's a toy for any occasion. It's a really good amp for $250, for sure!post #5363 of 123935/24/14 at 8:53ampost #5364 of 123935/24/14 at 8:59amQuote:
I don't pretend to have too much experience with tubes, but could that just be one of the differences between tubes and solid state? The LD1+ is very good, but definitely seems to have a layer of velvet on the sound.post #5365 of 123935/24/14 at 9:05amQuote:
I know that my Vali and Lyr don't exhibit those traits. A while back I did a direct switching comparison of the Vali to the Asgard 2, and I'll just say that you would need very good ears to tell the difference between the two, at least with something like the PS500. With higher impedance headphones, maybe it would be different.post #5366 of 123935/25/14 at 7:28am
As my musical preferences have shifted over the years (and my hearing aged too), I have decided to switch to a darker/fatter/mellower headphones - HD650.
Will see how it pairs with my Schiit stack - I think it should be just perfect! My trusty HD600s are up for sale now, they will be missed for sure.
Edited by madwolfa - 5/25/14 at 7:33ampost #5367 of 123935/25/14 at 7:56ampost #5368 of 123935/25/14 at 8:09am
The Asgard automatically shuts off the preouts when headphones are plugged in, whereas the Lyr still outputs to both, so with the Lyr you have to turn down or shutoff the connected speakers manually.post #5369 of 123935/25/14 at 8:21amQuote:
Thank you so much. Shows how much notice I take of specifications etc. I only ever use my Lyr for headphones, never use the pre-outs.post #5370 of 123935/25/14 at 8:50am
- Schiit Owners Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Feliks-Audio EUFORIA - A Wolf in "Sheep's" Clothing... 5 seconds ago
- › Sony PHA-3 balanced portable dac/amp 37 seconds ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 45 seconds ago
- › Closed Headphones for Classical music? 1 minute ago
- › CES 2017: MQA announces TIDAL Masters, and more 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 2 minutes ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › +91-9958802839 Love VasHikaRan sPeCiaLisT baBA ji USA 3 minutes ago
- › The Stax Thread III 4 minutes ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum In Ear (iOS version) - Black Chrome by HiWire
- › Fiio F1 Dynamic In-ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 by geoffalter11
- › Emotiva Stealth DC-1 | Balanced 24/192 Fully Differential DAC by audiobean
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by Dobrescu George
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by B9Scrambler
- › HiLisening MaGaosi Newest High end Detachable Design K3 In-Ear HiFi... by TwinACStacks
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by SOULSIK
- › Brainwavz B200 by earfonia
- › iBasso Audio DX200 Reference DAP by H20Fidelity
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear