Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 325

post #4861 of 6752
Hey all, just last night I noticed some background noise and static on my Mjolnir when previously it was dead silent from end to end, I think it may have been the fact I had it running for a while and maybe it got too hot? I turned it off but won't be able to check till I next get home. Has anyone else experienced this? I turned off DAC, checked cables, et cetera. It is a first, hoping I didn't hurt the amp but that seems unlilely
post #4862 of 6752
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramus View Post

Hey all, just last night I noticed some background noise and static on my Mjolnir when previously it was dead silent from end to end, I think it may have been the fact I had it running for a while and maybe it got too hot? I turned it off but won't be able to check till I next get home. Has anyone else experienced this? I turned off DAC, checked cables, et cetera. It is a first, hoping I didn't hurt the amp but that seems unlilely

 

Static can come from the volume pot.  Turn it around and see if the static intensifies.  If so, a simple clean may be the trick.  Otherwise, be sure to use the 5-year warranty Schiit gave you.

post #4863 of 6752

Is there any chance of Schiit making a version of the Modi with a sabre chip? I'd like to see their take on the HiFiMeDIY U2

post #4864 of 6752
Considering Mike's stance on delta sigma, I'm gonna say no.
post #4865 of 6752
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

Is there any chance of Schiit making a version of the Modi with a sabre chip? I'd like to see their take on the HiFiMeDIY U2

 

The Sabre chip isn't the end-all of DACs.  I'm more concerned with the output stage, personally.

post #4866 of 6752

Just compared the two. Not entirely sure what to make of it but I'm guessing the lower the output voltage the better? Which goes to the Mode at a full mega volt less than the U2

post #4867 of 6752
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

Just compared the two. Not entirely sure what to make of it but I'm guessing the lower the output voltage the better? Which goes to the Mode at a full mega volt less than the U2

 

Not really.  What's more important is the interplay between THD and output voltage. Manufacturers like to massage these numbers to make their THD look better.

post #4868 of 6752

Just got my new Lyr a couple days ago. Superb amp and totally quiet even with my Grado's. Schiit is, as every body says, an excellent company to deal with and make the best amps for the money I have ever seen. It is like I have all new headphones.

post #4869 of 6752

Enjoy your Lyr.  If you feel ever feel like rolling tubes down the road, there's a long thread with different recommendations.

post #4870 of 6752
Lyr owners, over the last two months, I've noticed a tendency of the front tube to start leaning to the right side (if you view it from the front). Thus causes an intermittent crackle to the sound coming from the Hp. I straighten it out and presto, no problem.Any suggestions for a permanent fix? Thanks.
post #4871 of 6752

I can't say that I have had that happen with mine so I don't know what to tell you.

post #4872 of 6752
Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

Lyr owners, over the last two months, I've noticed a tendency of the front tube to start leaning to the right side (if you view it from the front). Thus causes an intermittent crackle to the sound coming from the Hp. I straighten it out and presto, no problem.Any suggestions for a permanent fix? Thanks.
I use socket savers and I haven't had that issue.
post #4873 of 6752

I wonder if it's a tube problem?

post #4874 of 6752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

I wonder if it's a tube problem?
The only time I ever heard crackling with my Lyr is when I used a pair of Toshiba 6DJ8s. Definitely not good tubes to use for audio btw, very microphonic and one of the tubes had lots of crackling and static.
post #4875 of 6752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post

I wonder if it's a tube problem?
I thought about it and changed tubes three months ago. All was fine until two months ago. Did not think about socket savers though. Gotta give them a shot.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite