Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 322

post #4816 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood View Post

So Asgard2 is better than Magni and Vali? 
Depends on the cans and what kind of signature you're looking for. What are you looking to pair them with?

He400, MD 3.2, DT990 Premium 250
post #4817 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood View Post

He400, MD 3.2, DT990 Premium 250
Jesus god, no. The HE-400, with its horribly wild and flawed treble, is not going to do well with the A2, a fairly bright amp. It was ok with the Lyr, but nothing really helps that treble.
post #4818 of 7960

HE-400 sounds fantastic with Magni.  I'll have my Asgard 2 soon and let you know if it sounds even better with that, but the only reason I am getting Asgard 2 is that it will output to my desktop powered speakers (Audioengine A5+) as well as my headphones.

post #4819 of 7960

Did anyone here own a Mojo stack and HD650 ever move to an LCD2? If so, what are your thoughts?

post #4820 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon Peki View Post
 

HE-400 sounds fantastic with Magni.  I'll have my Asgard 2 soon and let you know if it sounds even better with that, but the only reason I am getting Asgard 2 is that it will output to my desktop powered speakers (Audioengine A5+) as well as my headphones.

I didn't think they sounded fantastic at all. The Magni is a good amp, but very bright. Paired with the very strident HE-400, that's just a bad combination. I will say the A2 is just a slight bit nicer than the Magni with the HE-400, but still not very good and doesn't relieve the harshness of those flawed highs. If you have an HE-400, you're going to want an amp that's going to help tone down the edge and remove some of that treble distortion. Vali, Valhalla, or Lyr possibly? I wish I was able to try those amps with my HE-400 when I still owned it.

post #4821 of 7960
Clearly we differ in our impression. If the fellow asking for advice is like you in that he considers the highs from his HE-400 to be "deeply flawed", then he may want to follow your amp advice, or better yet, sell off his headphones. If like me and many others he thinks the HE-400 sound wonderful, then he'll probably enjoy them with the Magni or Asgard 2.
Edited by Kon Peki - 3/10/14 at 4:49am
post #4822 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kon Peki View Post

Clearly we differ in our impression. If the fellow asking for advice is like you in that he considers the highs from his HE-400 to be "deeply flawed", then he may want to follow your amp advice, or better yet, sell off his headphones. If like me and many others he thinks the HE-400 sound wonderful, then he'll probably enjoy them with the Magni or Asgard 2.

FWIW, when I owned the 400, I found the best pairing to be with the Lyr.
post #4823 of 7960

Looks like some 6 $ eardrops almost completely solved my treble harshness/thin sound/hearing discomfort/fatigue issue.

Seeing my doctor this Friday to check for ear infection/ swimmer's ear/ whatever it is.

 

That just reminds me... how important our minds and our bodies are in the whole music listening experience.


Edited by madwolfa - 3/11/14 at 7:56am
post #4824 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post

Looks like some 6 $ eardrops almost completely solved my treble harshness/thin sound/hearing discomfort/fatigue issue.
Seeing my doctor this Friday to check for ear infection/ swimmer's ear/ whatever it is.

That just reminds me... how important our minds and our bodies are in the whole music listening experience.
Funny, had my ears cleaned yesterday evening. Suddenly my ears have become more sensitive and I have actually lowered the volume position on the dial. Spot on, mate.
post #4825 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

Looks like some 6 $ eardrops almost completely solved my treble harshness/thin sound/hearing discomfort/fatigue issue.

Seeing my doctor this Friday to check for ear infection/ swimmer's ear/ whatever it is.

 

That just reminds me... how important our minds and our bodies are in the whole music listening experience.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kothganesh View Post

Funny, had my ears cleaned yesterday evening. Suddenly my ears have become more sensitive and I have actually lowered the volume position on the dial. Spot on, mate.

 

The first time my ears clogged up with wax was when I was a kid, and I thought I had gone deaf. The doctor did a flush of my ears and good lord... lol. Some folks experience excessive ear wax, and some do not. I have no idea why. Some of us are just lucky I guess ;)

 

Debrox and Murine both make inexpensive do it yourself cleaning kits. The older I get, the more often I need to use that stuff. But I was relieved to discover this was something I could fix - and not permanent hearing damage.

post #4826 of 7960

With all this ear talk, I just can't get the picture of Shrek pulling wax out of his ear, out of my mind.  :biggrin:

post #4827 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldood View Post
 

So Asgard2 is better than Magni and Vali? 

 

More flexible by way of what headphones you can drive.  The pre-amp function is also handy if you have an amp that you like to use with passive monitors.  I've been experimenting by using a Lyr as a pre-amp with a Pair of Parasound Z-amps Bridged to mono,  to drive a set of Sonus Faber Concertino's with good results.   It's not a replacement for buying a good pre, but it's a nice option to allow it to be used in that capacity if needed or.. just for sh*ts and giggles.   

post #4828 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostown View Post
 

More flexible by way of what headphones you can drive.  The pre-amp function is also handy if you have an amp that you like to use with passive monitors.  I've been experimenting by using a Lyr as a pre-amp with a Pair of Parasound Z-amps Bridged to mono,  to drive a set of Sonus Faber Concertino's with good results.   It's not a replacement for buying a good pre, but it's a nice option to allow it to be used in that capacity if needed or.. just for Schiits and giggles.   

:biggrin: 

post #4829 of 7960

Someone from here posted this ? :biggrin:

 

http://i.imgur.com/q2Xvyaz.jpg

post #4830 of 7960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

Someone from here posted this ? :biggrin:

 

http://i.imgur.com/q2Xvyaz.jpg

LOL, when I got my Mojo I did not look at the paper. I still have the box and docs that came with it, I will have to check. Everyone's a comedian :)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite