or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 320

post #4786 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpicks View Post
 

 Anyone with me?

Me

 

post #4787 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpicks View Post
 

So... a little off-topic perhaps, but after living with my Lyr and "Uberfrost" for a couple of weeks (coupled with the HE-500's), I have one (and only one) request from Jason and Mike:
 

Could you please, please, please put power buttons on the front?

 

Otherwise, what a fantastic little desktop setup I've got going here!  Anyone with me?

+1

post #4788 of 12280
I like the switches in the rear.
post #4789 of 12280
+1

DAC switch stays on 24x7 anyhow for me,
Turning amp on / off a couple times a day is no hassle.
Switches in back leave front panel sleak and stylish.
post #4790 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

I like the switches in the rear.


Same here, not that its a big deal.

post #4791 of 12280
Switches on the back are done that way for a reason. Having power lines running through your chassis is a good way to get bad sound. I've always wondered why they didn't try some sort of cantilever type mechanism that had front push button with a beam through the chassis to push a button at the back near the power supply. This solves both issues, but does introduce complexity. Other designers have used similar methods for volume control so that internal board layout could be superior, while still having a proper volume knob.

500x1000px-LL-f034c6ad_hdvd800pcb.png

I had hoped to see this solution be part of the premium paid for Ragnarok and Yggdrasil, but it appears not. I can understand not having this for the lower priced models, though.
post #4792 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpicks View Post
 

So... a little off-topic perhaps, but after living with my Lyr and "Uberfrost" for a couple of weeks (coupled with the HE-500's), I have one (and only one) request from Jason and Mike:
 

Could you please, please, please put power buttons on the front?

 

Otherwise, what a fantastic little desktop setup I've got going here!  Anyone with me?

 

What, you mean you turn yours off? :tongue_smile:

post #4793 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmustBKidn View Post
 

 

What, you mean you turn yours off? :tongue_smile:

 

You don't?? :confused_face(1):

 

To be fair though, the weather here is pretty hot, so I like to turn off my electronics when they aren't in use. 

post #4794 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmustBKidn View Post
 

 

What, you mean you turn yours off? :tongue_smile:


Heh heh... well, I wouldn't want the tubes to burn out too quickly, now would I? :)

To those who've said they don't mind the power switch in back (or that electronically it's more sound), thanks for the feedback.  Luckily I'm not housing my Lyr/Bifrost combo in a cabinet, so I can easily flip the switches on back.  But if I ever decided to hide the Lyr behind my computer monitor it would be a pain to get to the back of the unit to turn it on.  That's the main reason I made the suggestion.

post #4795 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpicks View Post

 

Heh heh... well, I wouldn't want the tubes to burn out too quickly, now would I? :)
 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

You don't?? :confused_face(1):

 

To be fair though, the weather here is pretty hot, so I like to turn off my electronics when they aren't in use. 

 

Well, that was really a remark that implied, Schiit is so good, I never turn it off. ;)

 

Ok, so I'm not so good with humor.

post #4796 of 12280
The
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post

...and I'm wondering the same thing about the forth-coming Schiit ~$1,500 Yggdrasil.  Will the improvement in sound be worth the $$$ to upgrade from my "Überfrost".  ....or will the benefits of a better DAC only be realized by upgrading everything else "down-stream" of the DAC.  

The Yggi is going to be closer to $1900, I'm afraid.
post #4797 of 12280
Question, do you hear the noise floor on the Lyr with LCD-2's?
post #4798 of 12280
I had that combo for a couple years and it wasn't noisey unless paired with unusually noises tubes
post #4799 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

Question, do you hear the noise floor on the Lyr with LCD-2's?

 

I don't hear any noise with my HD800.  

 

 

The T5p is noisy with cheap tubes and dead quiet with my good tubes.

post #4800 of 12280
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

Question, do you hear the noise floor on the Lyr with LCD-2's?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly View Post

I had that combo for a couple years and it wasn't noisey unless paired with unusually noises tubes

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvergun View Post
 

 

I don't hear any noise with my HD800.  

 

 

The T5p is noisy with cheap tubes and dead quiet with my good tubes.


i can second the results given here, never noticed and noise with grado's either, unless it was the tube

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite