Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 317

post #4741 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

They sounded identical.

I'm trying to figure out what to think about that. Before switching between them like I did, I really thought the Vali was warmer and not as bright. Switching between them immediately, I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever.

Impressive is the power of expectation/confirmation bias, huh?

post #4742 of 6155

Hello good people of Head-fi, whats up? Since the Lyr threads seem to be quite inactive these days, I figured im gonna post here.

I have owned a Lyr for some time now, but I have never experienced such a thing before. Has anyone's Lyr ever "exploded"??

I just switched it on to listen to some music and after about 10 sec (no headphones plugged in), as I sat down next to it, I heard an explosion and the entire floor of the house went dark. Basically, my Lyr is on the left of my chair on a nice little table at an arms length from me. It took me 2-3 seconds to realize what had happened and I immediately pulled the plugs out, as I saw the white light dimming.

Ok, i am not exaggerating, it was not a "pop" or a "puff", it was a full blown exploding sound!

Now, after putting the circuit-breakers back up and explaining to everyone what had happened, I removed the tubes and sensed a burnt smell. My heart stopped. After putting them back (10 mins later) , I plugged it back in and it switched on... 30 mins later, im listening to music!! :basshead:?? 

Anyone has an idea what the helll just happened? I am thinking, could the circuit have been overloaded, or the built-in safety of the Lyr triggered? I cant think of any other rational explanation.. Also, could this destroy my headphones?

 

Honestly, to me, all that matters now is that my Lyr is fine, as well as my tubes.. :smile:

post #4743 of 6155

You should contact Schiit.

post #4744 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0o View Post
 

Impressive is the power of expectation/confirmation bias, huh?

 

That pretty much confirms the idea any decent well-engineered amplifier should sound more or less the same as another (for an average human being, at least). 


Edited by madwolfa - 3/5/14 at 12:40pm
post #4745 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post

That pretty much confirms the idea any decent well-engineered amplifier should sound more or less the same as another (for an average human being, at least). 
We Head-Fiers must consider ourselves above average then :P
post #4746 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

That pretty much confirms the idea any decent well-engineered amplifier (tubes or SS) should sound more or less the same as another (for an average human being, at least). 

Nailed it.

post #4747 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

They sounded identical.

I'm trying to figure out what to think about that. Before switching between them like I did, I really thought the Vali was warmer and not as bright. Switching between them immediately, I couldn't tell any difference whatsoever.

 

Wow, wasn't expecting such an outcome. Wondering if you tried with different headphones if you'd notice any differences? 

post #4748 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillits View Post

Wow, wasn't expecting such an outcome. Wondering if you tried with different headphones if you'd notice any differences? 

That's one of the things I'm wondering about. Will something more demanding of an amp like the LCD2's give a different result? I will hopefully find out soon.
post #4749 of 6155

~~I know it was a long shot but I was hoping the balanced Schiit preamp would work with my balanced electronic crossover. Does someone have a list of amplifiers that will work with balanced Schiit preamp?

post #4750 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwillits View Post
 

Wow, wasn't expecting such an outcome. Wondering if you tried with different headphones if you'd notice any differences? 

 

That kinda compliments Vali.

post #4751 of 6155

I wonder how hi impedance cans would fair?

post #4752 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post
 

I wonder how hi impedance cans would fair?

With Vali? On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm wondering how IEMs and highly efficient cans like a Porta Pro or PX 100-II would do on Vali myself. I know they don't work at all with the high gain of the Magni, but I also know the Vali is less powerful.

post #4753 of 6155
Thread Starter 

We mustn't ever forget Leibig's Law of the Minimum.  If the headphones are the weak link in the chain, amps will all sound the same.  When the headphones are the strongest link in the chain, you may be able to perceive differences in the amps.

post #4754 of 6155
What I'm going to take away from this for now is that, expectation bias is very interesting. My feeling is that the headphones are the limiting factor here, as we all know that Grado's don't require much for amping in the first place.

And most of all, I love my Schiit no matter what!
post #4755 of 6155
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

What I'm going to take away from this for now is that, expectation bias is very interesting. My feeling is that the headphones are the limiting factor here, as we all know that Grado's don't require much for amping in the first place.

And most of all, I love my Schiit no matter what!

So your Schiit don't stink, eh?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite