Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 313

post #4681 of 6963

What exactly was stuttering if no music was being played?  Just curious as to what you were hearing.

post #4682 of 6963

  To Whom it May Interest:

 

...LOL...So...it seems I continue to remain in the same conundrum...On the one hand, USB if properly implemented can be more than sufficient...then, again, Anything more than 2 meters might render that last assumption false...such that one should place the D/A (Bifrost) no farther than said 2 meters, if not closer...and then run long analog interconnects...

 

  Oh, and the best way to extract a digital signal out of a computer is a dedicated bus/SPDIF output...from a desktop...

 

  So, does that mean that, Ideally, in order to access the wealth of online, digital streaming audio, one should invest in a dedicated, music oriented desk-top PC., which has an SPDIF output...?...and in THAT case, would the quality of a sound card make ANY difference to the quality of the output digital signal,  or the quality of the motherboard and the SPDIF output from that board???  HELP PLEASE...

 

Again,   Thank you for attempting to clarify what appears to be an increasingly murky subject...  :-)  ...

 

Sincerely,

T.A. Kogsrom   

post #4683 of 6963

I think you have to ask yourself, what works for your situation. If you need to go over 2 meters, then really USB is out for you. If that isn't an issue then you can start asking yourself if you have a machine that can feed quality USB or SPDIF. Then make your choice from there. If you just want to know which sounds the best, we all hear differently and you would have to determine that yourself by trying both.

post #4684 of 6963

Even if music was playing, i heard a slight.. stutter. Imagine someone is slamming on a door in the distance, sounds like that.

Cant really call it a stutter.

 

Info about my rig:

 

Source: PC,

Dac: Matrix mini-i , connected trough Spdif

Amp: Schiit valhalla

Headphones: Sennheiser HD800

post #4685 of 6963

Is there no way to send a robust wi-fi signal from a PC to your dac? This would solve the 5 meter problem. I have a mac which I send a signal using airport extreme from to my Bifrost, seems to sound OK, although I don't think I have really put it to the test with my good headphones or anything rigorous.

post #4686 of 6963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronb View Post
 

I think you have to ask yourself, what works for your situation. If you need to go over 2 meters, then really USB is out for you. If that isn't an issue then you can start asking yourself if you have a machine that can feed quality USB or SPDIF. Then make your choice from there. If you just want to know which sounds the best, we all hear differently and you would have to determine that yourself by trying both.

What I did was to use a UBS repeater cable.

post #4687 of 6963

Can anybody compare the Magni & Modi stack with the Fiio E09K/E07K combo? I currently have the Fiio combo and might want to upgrade in the future. I use the AKG Q701s and so far I'm loving the combo.


Edited by brybry24 - 3/1/14 at 6:40pm
post #4688 of 6963
Quote:
Originally Posted by brybry24 View Post
 

Can anybody compare the Magni & Modi stack with the Fiio E09K/E07K combo? I currently have the Fiio combo and might want to upgrade in the future. I use the AKG Q701s and so far I'm loving the combo.

i think the schiit will be a significant upgrade, used to have fiio, now lost confidence on it, none of my things are fiio

post #4689 of 6963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post
 

FWIW I just can't be bothered to hunt it down any more.  Much better just listening to the music now.  :biggrin:

 

Since it has been -30C and below lately, I've had some pretty extended listening sessions.  

 

Heh, I ended up avoiding my laptop and running an optical cable from my iPod & iPod dock into the Bifrost. 

post #4690 of 6963

I'm having a sound problem since I got Schiit Magni&Modi (a week ago).

Every now and then, the sound disappears for few seconds, usually when loading some apps (like Chrome, etc.).

It is most prominent while playing Battlefield 4, during one game it disappears at least 5-6 times randomly.

Anyone had this problem before? Could the problem be caused by a cheap USB cable (2m length) ?

post #4691 of 6963

It could be your usb cable. What is your player's buffer size set to? Async DACs need lower buffer sizes to keep from stuttering and dropping out.

post #4692 of 6963

I don't know, but the problem is globally, sound generally disappears, BF4, Teamspeak, Skype, Foobar, whatever...

post #4693 of 6963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

I'm having a sound problem since I got Schiit Magni&Modi (a week ago).

Every now and then, the sound disappears for few seconds, usually when loading some apps (like Chrome, etc.).

It is most prominent while playing Battlefield 4, during one game it disappears at least 5-6 times randomly.

Anyone had this problem before? Could the problem be caused by a cheap USB cable (2m length) ?

An expensive cable can't tell when you're loading an app, so a cheap cable can't do any better. :D

You could jiggle the cable to check for a bad connection and if that turns up blank, then swap out to another cable. Assuming that you're running Windoze, I would also check the  task manager performance tab to see what memory and CPU usage is like when yiou have the problem.  Then of course there's drivers. Although, I believe the Modi doesn't require special USB drivers from Schiit, the ones you have for your motherboard or laptop might be the problem. You might have to uninstall and reinstall, also check to see if you have the latest and greatest. EVen if you have th Microsoft supplied one shoe fits all drivers, sometimes uninstalling completely and reinstalling can clear up issues. If you are using Microsoft delivered (Internet) drivers you can look to do this either from the driver properties for refreshing hardware in device manager, depending on how you approach this.


Edited by StanD - 3/3/14 at 2:51pm
post #4694 of 6963

I see, try a different USB port and a different cable if you have one laying around. 

post #4695 of 6963
Thread Starter 

2 m cable shouldn't be the problem.  Schiit says that length is ok.  It's probably because the computer is being too taxed during some operations and it lags behind.  Try shutting down as many background tasks as possible, like virus checkers, etc, to free up memory and CPU cycles. 

 

Also, turning off Aero seems to help a lot, too.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite