Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 297

post #4441 of 6955

Looking for a bit of input. Forgetting for the moment the increased power, and with a phone with compatible impedance. Does the Lyr stock out of the box, sound better than a Valhalla. I have heard the Valhalla and thought it sounded very good, better than I was expecting, but for the small difference in price ($100) I would get the Lyr if it is, in fact, just a better sounding amp regardless of what phones you use.

post #4442 of 6955
So I'm going to place an order. It's down to either a Vali or a Loki. I don't *need* either, my Asgard 2 is fantastic so another amp isn't that important, and while I have some DSD music, obviously DSD isn't that popular yet and might never be.

What to do...and I'm NOT getting both. One or the other.
post #4443 of 6955

Huh, the Loki. That's not something people mention all that often here I think. Since you already have the Bifrost and A2, why not save some cash and don't buy the Vali and Loki? 

post #4444 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPiper View Post
 

Looking for a bit of input. Forgetting for the moment the increased power, and with a phone with compatible impedance. Does the Lyr stock out of the box, sound better than a Valhalla. I have heard the Valhalla and thought it sounded very good, better than I was expecting, but for the small difference in price ($100) I would get the Lyr if it is, in fact, just a better sounding amp regardless of what phones you use.

 

I haven't heard either one. But you're talking all tube, versus a hybrid. So the real question is, do you want a tube amp, or a hybrid?

 

The Valhalla will let you roll both preamp and output tubes. The Lyr, only preamp tubes.

 

The only other real difference is output power. If you need beefy output power, the Lyr is the answer.

post #4445 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

Huh, the Loki. That's not something people mention all that often here I think. Since you already have the Bifrost and A2, why not save some cash and don't buy the Vali and Loki? 

 

 

Simply because I want more Schiit lol. The thing is that they are both very inexpensive, and I'm in the mood to purchase something.

post #4446 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post
 

 

 

Simply because I want more Schiit lol. The thing is that they are both very inexpensive, and I'm in the mood to purchase something.

So you're being overpowered by impulses...Must resist, must resist, must resist. I actually have a Vali as well an Asgard 2. I picked up the Vali on impulse as it wasn't expensive to see what it's like and to tell you the truth, it's surprisingly good. IMO, you'd have more use of the Vali than the Loki.

post #4447 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

So you're being overpowered by impulses...Must resist, must resist, must resist. I actually have a Vali as well an Asgard 2. I picked up the Vali on impulse as it wasn't expensive to see what it's like and to tell you the truth, it's surprisingly good. IMO, you'd have more use of the Vali than the Loki.

 

 

That's kind of what I'm thinking. I only have the Grado's, but a few guys here have said the Vali is absolutely fantastic with them. Hmmmmm.

post #4448 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

So you're being overpowered by impulses...Must resist, must resist, must resist. I actually have a Vali as well an Asgard 2. I picked up the Vali on impulse as it wasn't expensive to see what it's like and to tell you the truth, it's surprisingly good. IMO, you'd have more use of the Vali than the Loki.

 

The impulse is pretty damn hard to resist. I try to justify my bigger purchases by assuring myself that I'm making a long time investment :k701smile:

post #4449 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snips View Post
 

 

The impulse is pretty damn hard to resist. I try to justify my bigger purchases by assuring myself that I'm making a long time investment :k701smile:

So you're actually expecting some sort of capital gains. My wife wouldn't fall for that. :D

post #4450 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

So I'm going to place an order. It's down to either a Vali or a Loki. I don't *need* either, my Asgard 2 is fantastic so another amp isn't that important, and while I have some DSD music, obviously DSD isn't that popular yet and might never be.

What to do...and I'm NOT getting both. One or the other.

Oh stop the agonizing and get both. Because you will be at the same crossroads soon smily_headphones1.gif
post #4451 of 6955

 

 - 
 
2/19/2014  -  Wednesday
5:54 am
At local FedEx facility
 
LENEXA, KS
post #4452 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

S3 as the vehicle streaming Spotify or Google All Access via USB to the FiiO E18 who's Coax SPDIF out goes to the Bifrost (or other DAC) Coax SPDIF input.

Ok now I see what you want to do.  

post #4453 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco1965 View Post
 

Ok now I see what you want to do.  

Not want, have done it and it works. One more tool in the chest.

post #4454 of 6955

Do you need to modify/root your phone to enable digital audio over USB OTG ?

post #4455 of 6955
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

Do you need to modify/root your phone to enable digital audio over USB OTG ?

Not mine, root NOT required. It's a US Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3. It works with the latest 4.3 as well as the previous version, 4.1.2.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite