or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 287

post #4291 of 12183

Hey everyone, i own a set of HD800 headphones and i am thinking about getting a Schiit Lyr,

 

However i've read some horror stories of Schiit amps blowing / damaging headphones in the past.

(Headphones get damaged at the amp startup / shut-down because of power spikes?)

 

Does this problem still exsist?, or did they fix this issue.

 

Would like to hear this from a Lyr owner if possible.

post #4292 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ofc View Post
 

Hey everyone, i own a set of HD800 headphones and i am thinking about getting a Schiit Lyr,

 

However i've read some horror stories of Schiit amps blowing / damaging headphones in the past.

(Headphones get damaged at the amp startup / shut-down because of power spikes?)

 

Does this problem still exsist?, or did they fix this issue.

 

Would like to hear this from a Lyr owner if possible.

 

It should have been fixed. I don't see any new reports of headphones blowing up. I used to run the Lyr with LCD-2s for around a year and I didn't encounter any problems.  

post #4293 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris ofc View Post

Hey everyone, i own a set of HD800 headphones and i am thinking about getting a Schiit Lyr,

However i've read some horror stories of Schiit amps blowing / damaging headphones in the past.
(Headphones get damaged at the amp startup / shut-down because of power spikes?)

Does this problem still exsist?, or did they fix this issue.

Would like to hear this from a Lyr owner if possible.
This is straight from Schiit's Lyr FAQ on their website.

"Wait, you mean my headphones might blow up?
Dood, 6 watts is more than enough to let the magic smoke out of most headphones. Lyr packs a serious punch, and we expect that you’re grown-up enough to use it with respect. Lyr has a 20-second slow-start and fast-acting turnoff output muting relay, but we still recommend caution, especially if you’re tube-rolling. We will not be responsible for headphones damaged by Lyr."
post #4294 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amictus View Post
 


Has to have been cables. Only the subject of cables drives head-fiers to acts of homicidal violence. Even tube versus solid state is nowhere close. Maybe the HD800 is closer, but nothing like cables as a divisive topic. Some people adore cables and some hate them with a bitter vengeance. It's Middle Ages versus Enlightenment, Catholic versus Protestant, Lenin versus Trotsky, music versus 'historically deformed' performance (sorry, my bias is showing)... it's deep, atavistic, savage. Yup. I reckon cables.

Yes I have already learned that Cablers are the biggest religious zealots at Head-Fi. I find the USB and Power Cord sects to be the most hard core.

post #4295 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Obviously there is no career waiting for you at the State Dept. :D So what was it? Cables? Amps? DACs? Cans?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE View Post
 

 

All of the above. I commend Schiit for making quality products (I know from experience) but past a certain point the human ear can only hear so much. If you disagree, there is a great company you should try

We're on the same page. When I recommend a Asgard 2 and one of the elitists chimes in, they get very upset when I bring up the facts. Increased expenditures enhances their ability to perceive what is either not there or not perceptible. Go figure.

post #4296 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs06 View Post


This is straight from Schiit's Lyr FAQ on their website.

"Wait, you mean my headphones might blow up?
Dood, 6 watts is more than enough to let the magic smoke out of most headphones. Lyr packs a serious punch, and we expect that you’re grown-up enough to use it with respect. Lyr has a 20-second slow-start and fast-acting turnoff output muting relay, but we still recommend caution, especially if you’re tube-rolling. We will not be responsible for headphones damaged by Lyr."

I guess we shouldn't recommend hanging his HD800 off the speaker taps of an Emotiva Mini. Actually 50W into 8 Ohms is 20V which  assuming the same voltage swing at 300 Ohms will crank out 1.3 W. Yep that's enough to fry his HD800's as well and remove two ears at the same time.

post #4297 of 12183
Nah he's good. He will have at-least 2mm of rotational play on the volume knob before the headphones start smelling funny wink.gif
post #4298 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post

Some people are just cheap and won't spend anything extra on something nice, and look down on others that do. The BJC are nice, and feel solid. You know what I'm talking about.

 

I don't mind people buying fancy stuff, that's what I occasionally do either (like 150$ Cardas cable for my HD600 long time ago, because I wanted it). I'm not eluding myself into some perceptible differences, though (except a joy of owning something nice), but I guess that's "subjective" and I have no intention of fueling another flame war. ;)

 

I know what you mean, though. "I'm driving a Toyota and it's as good as your yuppie BMW and has better mileage too"....


Edited by madwolfa - 2/15/14 at 6:21am
post #4299 of 12183
post #4300 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

OK, this one is seriously cool.

 

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Speaker%20Cable.htm

 

Wow. I may not mind spending a bit to buy aftermarket cables, but damn, those are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too expensive. 

post #4301 of 12183

You could buy a new car for the price of those things. I also think cables make a difference but those are redonkulous!

post #4302 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

OK, this one is seriously cool.

 

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Speaker%20Cable.htm

Brings some old sayings to mind, "A fool and his money are soon parted," or "There's a sucker born every minute."

post #4303 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Brings some old sayings to mind, "A fool and his money are soon parted," or "There's a sucker born every minute."

 

Hey, don't look down on them..

 

PS: we still have our right for a little ridicule... right?

post #4304 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by madwolfa View Post
 

 

Hey, don't look down on them..

 

PS: we still have our right for a little ridicule... right?

Yes, humor at their expense and what an expense. :eek: Holy cow, you can sure find'em.

post #4305 of 12183
Thread Starter 

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but let's keep the thread on focus with Schiit, otherwise the mods might lock it based on the cable sniping going on.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite