O.K. When I left the Gungnir to go and eat (you can tell that I'm not a serious audiophile) it was hooked up to the Lyr with 1961 Bugle Boys. The experience was very HD650, despite the use of the HD800s - cosy, warm, enclosed with an extraordinary (excessive?) rendition of hall ambience. Now I'm going for extreme soundstage: Gungnir + Lyr with E288CCs + HD800. (CDs) Already it is a quite different sound: much more focused, accurate and yet open, yet slightly clinical. Timbre is still excellent. I miss the absolute sense of precision that I got with the M-DAC and the HD800s, but it's early days yet, and the sound has gone from flash and a bit harsh when first heard it to warm and a bit fuzzy in 6- hours. Things could be totally different in another 10 hours. Can't be doing with the E288CCs! In go the E88CCs. Much better. The focus is completely back, the warmth is in check. I now feel that I am listening to HD800s. I don't dare go and get the HD650s and the Q701s from upstairs. It's complicated enough already...
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- brandSchiittagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by redmaw, 2/5/13
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
Related Forum Threads
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp and DAC for HE-400s Last post on 9/1/16 at 3:06am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for help with deciding on an amp, plus some DAC confusion. Last post on 6/11/12 at 5:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just purchased Schiit Lyr and Bifrost! Last post on 1/10/14 at 8:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- So many threads, yet still undecisive (akg k702 amps) Last post on 4/26/11 at 1:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
Last edited: 12/16/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Portable Amps, DACs, & DAPs) (page 2)Last edited: 11/29/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
Bought these bad boys on sale from Harman Audio. Very clear and balanced sound for the price range, I have also had some good Grado SR80i headphones that I gave to my brother but the AKG K550 has...
Introduction Based on the very successful Delta earphones previously, Brainwavz has come up with a second version of the Delta’s, now upgraded with Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity. As these are...
Introduction FiiO X5 3rd generation is the successor of the loved by many X5 2nd generation DAP from FiiO. I requested to be a part of the tour for X5 3rd gen because I really wanted to hear...
After spending over a week of daily listening to these ciems I can confidently say that I have made an excellent choice with these ciems. There is nothing that i can say that hasn't been already...
Greetings Head-fi! Today we'll be checking out a micro-driver that's been, for the most part, well-received around the forums. Their small size, low price, and sonic performance have made them a...
Schiit Owners Unite - Page 286post #4276 of 124572/14/14 at 2:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4277 of 124572/14/14 at 3:25pmQuote:
Has to have been cables. Only the subject of cables drives head-fiers to acts of homicidal violence. Even tube versus solid state is nowhere close. Maybe the HD800 is closer, but nothing like cables as a divisive topic. Some people adore cables and some hate them with a bitter vengeance. It's Middle Ages versus Enlightenment, Catholic versus Protestant, Lenin versus Trotsky, music versus 'historically deformed' performance (sorry, my bias is showing)... it's deep, atavistic, savage. Yup. I reckon cables.post #4278 of 124572/14/14 at 3:29pmQuote:
All of the above. I commend Schiit for making quality products (I know from experience) but past a certain point the human ear can only hear so much. If you disagree, there is a great company you should trypost #4279 of 124572/14/14 at 4:03pmpost #4280 of 124572/14/14 at 4:11pmpost #4281 of 124572/14/14 at 4:14pmpost #4282 of 124572/14/14 at 4:35pmpost #4283 of 124572/14/14 at 4:52pm
As far as cables concerned, Blue Jeans Cable has me covered for life.. anything more fancy/expensive is a snake oil and pixie dust.
Honestly I think BJC is a schiit of cable world.
Edited by madwolfa - 2/14/14 at 4:55pmpost #4284 of 124572/14/14 at 5:54pmQuote:
Yeah, ok. Have fun with thatpost #4285 of 124572/14/14 at 5:58pmpost #4286 of 124572/14/14 at 6:33pmQuote:Quote:Originally Posted by BLACKENEDPLAGUE
All of the above. I commend Schiit for making quality products (I know from experience) but past a certain point the human ear can only hear so much. If you disagree, there is a great company you should try
Don't you know? The CIA is behind the business of premium priced headphone cables as part of their mind control experiments.post #4287 of 124572/14/14 at 6:51pmQuote:
Projecting won't justify your purchasespost #4288 of 124572/14/14 at 7:02pmQuote:
Are you speaking about that goofy Projectionist that writes about audio equipment? Steve what's his namepost #4289 of 124572/14/14 at 9:03pm
Apparently so, but thanks for the reference--it's providing some entertaining reading. I guess he was the Shia LaBoeuf of head-fi for a time.post #4290 of 124572/14/14 at 9:45pm
Some people are just cheap and won't spend anything extra on something nice, and look down on others that do. The BJC are nice, and feel solid. You know what I'm talking about.
- Schiit Owners Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Focal Utopia (& a little Elear) impressions and discussion 21 seconds ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 31 seconds ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 44 seconds ago
- › Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold 57 seconds ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue m2 (pm2) near new 1 minute ago
- › Cowon Plenue m2 (PM2) near new 1 minute ago
- › Onkyo DP-CMX1 GRANBEAT | Dual Dac | Balanced | Phone DAP 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo DAC-amp ☆★►FAQ in 3rd post!◄★☆ 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by ss5972
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear