or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 284

post #4246 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs06 View Post
 

I went from a Vali to the Lyr and I have to say that extra wattage allows for my headphones to really show their potential, probably due to so much headroom lol. The Lyr is simply on a greater level than the Vali IMO

Which of your headphones require more power than the Vali can deliver?

post #4247 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Which of your headphones require more power than the Vali can deliver?

None of them.

post #4248 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

Which of your headphones require more power than the Vali can deliver?

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs06 View Post
 

None of them.

Then what exactly is the Lyr doing for you that the Vali can't?

post #4249 of 12183

In overall I prefer the Bifrost/Vali combo over the Modi/Lyr for most of the headphones. 

post #4250 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

 

 

Then what exactly is the Lyr doing for you that the Vali can't?

The Lyr sounds better to me... Are you confused why? Are we about to get into an objectivity versus subjectivity argument based off the percieved differences between two hybrid tube headphone amplifiers. My opinion is the Lyr sounds more dynamic and has much richer bass than the Vali.

post #4251 of 12183

Well, I have been working, and the Gungnir has been warming up for 5 hours. The coax feed from the Oppo 103 now sounds much more authoritative, but also more relaxed. It is very revealing, showing up the difference between recordings: Haitink/Concertgebouw Beethoven 'Eroica', which sounded a little muddy before is now rescued from the slightly boomy acoustic of the Concertgebouw, which is heard as a separate entity behind and around the instuments. Is the placement of the instruments within the soundstage less crisp than with the Audiolab M-DAC? Possibly, but I am using Bugle Boys in the Lyr, and not the holographic Telefunken or Siemens tubes that I am more accustomed to. Now the Berlin Philharmonic Mahler 1 with the same conductor. There is a great musicality here - what do I mean? Well, someone was bound to ask... It's timbre, colour, musical line... all that. It's like I'm listening to analogue without the scratches. The Gungnir knows how to tell a story - so far, anyway.

 

Now. Tomorrow I have to go to France. I might take the Gung with the Lovely Cube and a mess of cables... I don't want to risk the Lyr on a car journey...

post #4252 of 12183

In Schiit line of amps, what would you say is best for the HD 650's? At the moment I have Modi & Vali, but I want to know if for example Valhalla would be a clear upgrade over Vali.

post #4253 of 12183
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zojokkeli View Post
 

In Schiit line of amps, what would you say is best for the HD 650's? At the moment I have Modi & Vali, but I want to know if for example Valhalla would be a clear upgrade over Vali.

 

The Sennheiser veil is completely overblown in my opinion.  If you think the headphones have a veil, no amp will clear that.  It's just all about how we hear the sound the headphones reproduce.

post #4254 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

 

 

Then what exactly is the Lyr doing for you that the Vali can't?


Danger, Will Robinson! This is the sort of talk that leads us to buy a lot of Schiit. We all need the Asgard, the Bifrost, the Vali, the Valhalla, the Lyr, the Gungnir and the Mjolnir. Oh yes, we also need the Magni and the Modi for the bathroom/bedroom/conservatory. It seems that the only thing that we don't need is the Loki. I can already feel someone typing "Then what exactly is the Bifrost doing for you that the Loki can't?"

 

;)

post #4255 of 12183

I wouldn't mind a small Schiit stack for the bedroom, but if I'd likely have to find a new bedroom if I did.  :biggrin:

post #4256 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJs06 View Post
 

The Lyr sounds better to me... Are you confused why? Are we about to get into an objectivity versus subjectivity argument based off the percieved differences between two hybrid tube headphone amplifiers. My opinion is the Lyr sounds more dynamic and has much richer bass than the Vali.

No need to get snappy about this, I just asked a simple question.

post #4257 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amictus View Post
 


Danger, Will Robinson! This is the sort of talk that leads us to buy a lot of Schiit. We all need the Asgard, the Bifrost, the Vali, the Valhalla, the Lyr, the Gungnir and the Mjolnir. Oh yes, we also need the Magni and the Modi for the bathroom/bedroom/conservatory. It seems that the only thing that we don't need is the Loki. I can already feel someone typing "Then what exactly is the Bifrost doing for you that the Loki can't?"

 

;)

I'm starting to collect Schiit. My third element for the Schiit pile arrives on Monday, a fully optioned Bifrost.

post #4258 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post
 

I'm starting to collect Schiit. My third element for the Schiit pile arrives on Monday, a fully optioned Bifrost.


You're ahead of me. I'm only on Lyr + Gungnir... I bought the Gungnir rather than the Bifrost because Schiit said that I should (and I beleived them) and because it is more future-proof. And then there are the statement products over the rainbow...

 

I REALLY want to buy my son the Magni/Modi combo, but he insists that he doesn't need them. Aaaargh!

post #4259 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanD View Post

No need to get snappy about this, I just asked a simple question.
Sorry, It's one of those snappy kind of days hahaha wink.gif
Edited by CJs06 - 2/14/14 at 10:45am
post #4260 of 12183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amictus View Post
 


You're ahead of me. I'm only on Lyr + Gungnir... I bought the Gungnir rather than the Bifrost because Schiit said that I should (and I beleived them) and because it is more future-proof. And then there are the statement products over the rainbow...

 

I REALLY want to buy my son the Magni/Modi combo, but he insists that he doesn't need them. Aaaargh!

My daughter would've looked at my Schiit stack and said, "What!? I'm not good enough for the same?" My son would've asked for something else in compensation. Lucky for me they're out of the house on their own.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite