Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 274

post #4096 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenderf4i View Post


I hate all of you. Now I HAVE to order one.

 

How does that saying go...?

 

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet! :D

post #4097 of 7921
So I am now a proud Schiit head smily_headphones1.gif

My Valhalla and modi came in today. Sound is really great but I have a question. There is a ringing sound after about the midway volume on the Valhalla which becomes louder as volume increases. Is this normal? I am currently using some basic radio Shack cables until my higher quality ones come in. Could those cables be the cause?
post #4098 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrZ-Fi View Post

So I am now a proud Schiit head smily_headphones1.gif

My Valhalla and modi came in today. Sound is really great but I have a question. There is a ringing sound after about the midway volume on the Valhalla which becomes louder as volume increases. Is this normal? I am currently using some basic radio Shack cables until my higher quality ones come in. Could those cables be the cause?

Probably not the cables, sounds like tube microphonics. Tap on the amp without music playing, does it produce the sound in your hps
post #4099 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by dailydoseofdaly View Post

Probably not the cables, sounds like tube microphonics. Tap on the amp without music playing, does it produce the sound in your hps

Well the sound is constant while the music isn't playing. I believe it is also present with music just can't be heard over the music. Do you mean tap the tubes while it isn't on?
post #4100 of 7921

How do you guys think something like this would compare to Schiit Magni/Modi combo?

post #4101 of 7921

Refrain from internal soundcards if you can

post #4102 of 7921

I already ordered Magni&Modi, just wondering...

post #4103 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrZ-Fi View Post

Well the sound is constant while the music isn't playing. I believe it is also present with music just can't be heard over the music. Do you mean tap the tubes while it isn't on?

With the amp on, but no music playing, tap the amp, volume knob, tubes, whatever. If you hear the tapping through the headphones, it's a microphonic tube. It's pretty rare; in 20+ years of tube amps, I've had maybe two microphonic tubes. (One was a Telefunken, $$ ouch!)

If it's a constant noise, it could be a Valhalla problem; mine is dead quiet. If you have another amp to substitute in the same chain, you can rule Valhalla in/out.
post #4104 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post

With the amp on, but no music playing, tap the amp, volume knob, tubes, whatever. If you hear the tapping through the headphones, it's a microphonic tube. It's pretty rare; in 20+ years of tube amps, I've had maybe two microphonic tubes. (One was a Telefunken, $$ ouch!)

If it's a constant noise, it could be a Valhalla problem; mine is dead quiet. If you have another amp to substitute in the same chain, you can rule Valhalla in/out.

Nope doesn't seem like I can hear the tapping. I will try the new cables tomorrow. Really hope it's not defective frown.gif

Btw I am using Beyer T90s
post #4105 of 7921
Thread Starter 

Some tubes are just noisy.  Contact Schiit about getting a replacement set of tubes sent to you.  Cables won't make a ringing noise.  Either the cables work and transmit sound or they won't work and won't transmit sound.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrZ-Fi View Post

So I am now a proud Schiit head smily_headphones1.gif

My Valhalla and modi came in today. Sound is really great but I have a question. There is a ringing sound after about the midway volume on the Valhalla which becomes louder as volume increases. Is this normal? I am currently using some basic radio Shack cables until my higher quality ones come in. Could those cables be the cause?
post #4106 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

I already ordered Magni&Modi, just wondering...

To be brief, it wouldn't be good compared to the stack. The dedicated equipment runs circles around implementation like this.

post #4107 of 7921

Does Schiit ever sell their shirts? I would love to buy one, especially the I ❤ Music one with the Schiit logo.

post #4108 of 7921

Very quick question..........

 

I already have an Asgard, and I've just ordered a Bifrost.

 

I'm using it with the PC, and that has an Asus Xonar Essence STX  sound card fitted (http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/)

 

The motherboard (Asus P6X58D-E) also has an optical out.

 

Is it recommended to remove the soundcard and use the boards opti-out? Or use the cards output?

 

Thank you :)

post #4109 of 7921
Quote:
Originally Posted by peri View Post
 

Very quick question..........

 

I already have an Asgard, and I've just ordered a Bifrost.

 

I'm using it with the PC, and that has an Asus Xonar Essence STX  sound card fitted (http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Essence_STX/)

 

The motherboard (Asus P6X58D-E) also has an optical out.

 

Is it recommended to remove the soundcard and use the boards opti-out? Or use the cards output?

 

Thank you :)

The Bifrost functionally takes the place of any internal sound card so, potentially, you could remove it. You don't have to, though. The biggest question is what are you trying to do? When you buy an STX, you usually buy that for gaming through headphones. If you use the Bifrost instead, you are basically removing any of the Dolby Headphone codecs needed to get proper positional accuracy in games. So, what are you ultimately trying to do?

post #4110 of 7921

As far as I was aware, the STX is aimed at the music market, and isn't seen as a gaming card - I certainly bought it for its music qualities, not its gaming ones. (I've never used it set to anything other than 'hi-fi', even when playing the occasional game).  :)

 

I listen to lossless music via pc to hd650's or sr325's - I just want the best sound possible :)

 

Thanks.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite