Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 269

post #4021 of 6789

It depends what headphone you are going to pair it with. The one headphone I have extensive knowledge with the Magni (as it's part of my office rig) is the Mad Dog and that pairing is amazing. An HD700 or HD800, no because they don't fare so well with regular bright solid state amps, as both are fairly bright headphones. I haven't even considered running the HD800 off a Magni. People have said great things about Vali paired with bright headphones though, so that is probably a more apt comparison. I would welcome the chance to try the Vali/HD800 pairing.

 

If cash if a concern, also remember the first thing I did with the Lyr was upgrade the stock tubes. So factor in extra for that as well.

 

For the Lyr, you are mostly paying to take the edge of the highs (Magni can be edgy up there) and more overall headroom vs the Magni, plus the option to taylor the sound to your liking with tube rolling. Not 6x better, but definitely 2x or 3x better once you upgrade the tubes. 'Tis the law of diminishing returns.

post #4022 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by nixkid View Post
 

I would be using it with an HE400.  I find the HE400 is pretty bright with the Magni to the point where it needs EQ.  I'm looking for something that could tame the treble on the 400 possibly allowing me to use them without EQ but I'm fairly nervous about spending $450 on an amp (I only spent $300 on the headphones).  Everyone says that the Lyr and 400 pair well but I just REALLY want to be sure.

 

Yes, the Lyr pairs a lot better with the HE-400 than the Magni.

post #4023 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishX View Post
 

It depends what headphone you are going to pair it with. The one headphone I have extensive knowledge with the Magni (as it's part of my office rig) is the Mad Dog and that pairing is amazing. An HD700 or HD800, no because they don't fare so well with regular bright solid state amps, as both are fairly bright headphones. I haven't even considered running the HD800 off a Magni. People have said great things about Vali paired with bright headphones though, so that is probably a more apt comparison. I would welcome the chance to try the Vali/HD800 pairing.

 

If cash if a concern, also remember the first thing I did with the Lyr was upgrade the stock tubes. So factor in extra for that as well.

 

For the Lyr, you are mostly paying to take the edge of the highs (Magni can be edgy up there) and more overall headroom vs the Magni, plus the option to taylor the sound to your liking with tube rolling. Not 6x better, but definitely 2x or 3x better once you upgrade the tubes. 'Tis the law of diminishing returns.

 

That's because the Mad Dog is a warm sounding headphones. 

post #4024 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrm360 View Post
 

 

That's because the Mad Dog is a warm sounding headphones. 

 

Indeed. I'm well aware of this. Is why it was tricky to answer the original question, that being if the Magni was 4x the amp that Lyr was when I wouldn't even consider using the Magni with an HD800 or any bright sounding headphone. The flipside is that Lyr works wonderfully with the Mad Dogs, I find.

post #4025 of 6789

Hi all.

I just ordered Magni and Modi.

It's my first venture into Hifi waters, also my first DAC and AMP.

With them, I ordered a Philips Fidelio X1 headphones because they're on a nice discount on Amazon.de (I'm from EU) since there was only 3 items left.

 

Do you think they will fit good with one another ?

post #4026 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post

Hi all.
I just ordered Magni and Modi.
It's my first venture into Hifi waters, also my first DAC and AMP.
With them, I ordered a Philips Fidelio X1 headphones because they're on a nice discount on Amazon.de (I'm from EU) since there was only 3 items left.

Do you think they will fit good with one another ?
The Schiit stack is a little on the bright side and the X1 is an extremely warm can. Sounds like a good for to me. Congrats on your purchases!
post #4027 of 6789

Thank you. How are you all satisfied with your Magni/Modi combo so far?

post #4028 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

Thank you. How are you all satisfied with your Magni/Modi combo so far?

I've been really happy, but they are definitely a gateway drug. For the things that they pair well with, they pair really well. The performance you get form any of their sub-$120 products is astronomical.

post #4029 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

Hi all.

I just ordered Magni and Modi.

It's my first venture into Hifi waters, also my first DAC and AMP.

With them, I ordered a Philips Fidelio X1 headphones because they're on a nice discount on Amazon.de (I'm from EU) since there was only 3 items left.

 

Do you think they will fit good with one another ?


You'll really enjoy the combo! I started with a Vali/Modi + Philips Fidelio X1 and It was better than expected. The magni pairs great with low impedance cans and honestly I don't think you can get a better headphone than the X1 at its price-point. Good decisions sir.

post #4030 of 6789

Thanks, it's relieving to hear that! :smile:

I'll post a feedback once I get all the stuff and if it, hopefully, doesn't get stuck at customs :confused_face:

post #4031 of 6789
My magni has what it looks like to be a small scratch or maybe it's just dirt. Is there a safe way to try and clean that up? Alcohol? Any suggestions?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
post #4032 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

Thank you. How are you all satisfied with your Magni/Modi combo so far?

 

I really like both. Of my two DAC's, the Modi is definitely the winner - it is clear and detailed without being overly bright and harsh (like my Pure i-20). I can only imagine how much better a Schiit Bifrost is, but for the price, I don't think you can beat a Modi. Hands down awesome for the money.

 

My Magni, well, I like it but I tend to switch back and forth between it and a hybrid amp (the Bravo V2). In my own comparisons, I have found it to be true that different types of music are best reproduced with different types of amplifiers. The Magni is clean and crisp, but it is not "tubey" and warm. Some people prefer solid state amps, and others prefer tubes or hybrids ... personally, I like both, with different music.

 

It is kind of hard to write a short summary of why - this is just a road you should travel for yourself, to see what you like best. However, I will say that my M+M stack was my first amp and DAC setup, and it so far has been my benchmark in my short time in this hobby. I have not regretted the purchase.

post #4033 of 6789

I figured that solid state amps and tubes give distinct sound, but didn't want to risk with tube as being my first amp. I've tried finding on youtube what's the difference in sound itself from a solid state amp vs. tube amp and didn't succeed. There's only videos of guitar tube amps, but not headphone tube amps. I guess I'll just have to buy it one day and see for myself :)

post #4034 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

I figured that solid state amps and tubes give distinct sound, but didn't want to risk with tube as being my first amp. I've tried finding on youtube what's the difference in sound itself from a solid state amp vs. tube amp and didn't succeed. There's only videos of guitar tube amps, but not headphone tube amps. I guess I'll just have to buy it one day and see for myself :)

 

Yes. You really need to. There's no way to really capture the difference in a video or song - this is something you simply need to hear for yourself.

 

Some people are really passionate about which type of amp they prefer. I like to stay out of those particular passionate discussions, heh. I am the sort of person who likes a variety anyway. I may be an old guy but I can't keep listening to the same music I grew up with forever - that will drive me nuts. So I like to try new things. I wish I had the budget to own the selection of gear that some people on this site seem to own, or have access to. Alas, I am not A Rich Guy (tm), so I make do with what I have.

 

This hobby has the tendency to make you want more gear. Hang on to your wallet, its going to be an exciting ride, hah.

post #4035 of 6789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-ST View Post
 

I figured that solid state amps and tubes give distinct sound, but didn't want to risk with tube as being my first amp. I've tried finding on youtube what's the difference in sound itself from a solid state amp vs. tube amp and didn't succeed. There's only videos of guitar tube amps, but not headphone tube amps. I guess I'll just have to buy it one day and see for myself :)

Good thing Schiit makes the risk pretty damn low with the Vali then. Try that out at some point.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite