- 840 Posts. Joined 6/2010
- Location: S.fl
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- brandSchiittagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by redmaw, 2/5/13
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
Related Forum Threads
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp and DAC for HE-400s Last post on 8/10/12 at 10:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for help with deciding on an amp, plus some DAC confusion. Last post on 6/11/12 at 5:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just purchased Schiit Lyr and Bifrost! Last post on 1/10/14 at 8:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- So many threads, yet still undecisive (akg k702 amps) Last post on 4/26/11 at 1:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I already had Sennheasier HD 25 iis which are great on-ear headphones but i wanted to try these after a good experience with the Yamaha EPH-200s. I really enjoyed the Yamaha house sound and these...
Oriveti Primacy: Making music sound like music Introduction Oriveti seems to be a rather obscure company, without any big breaks or long-running hype trains. They offer a single model that...
Background: The Audio-Technica CK10 is a dual BA IEM that was released in 2008, back then in those simpler times, CIEMs were a highly niche market, three BA drivers per ear was considered a lot,...
Focal Utopia Review Utopia - definition: An imagined state of things in which everything is perfect. My initial intention was just to write some detailed impressions, but throughout that...
Schiit Owners Unite - Page 217post #3241 of 120618/29/13 at 6:05pmI have the combo with uber sounds amazing
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3242 of 120618/30/13 at 8:08ampost #3243 of 120618/30/13 at 8:57ampost #3244 of 120618/30/13 at 10:15ampost #3245 of 120618/30/13 at 10:18am
if i keep the bifrost i will definitely get the uber upgrade
the peachtree is pretty good thoughpost #3246 of 120618/30/13 at 11:51ampost #3247 of 120618/30/13 at 9:32pmQuote:Originally Posted by wahsmoh
I was in the same boat as you pal. I was scared at the thought of buying an external DAC since I already own a "high-end" soundcard (HT Omega Claro). My first investment was my DT880 that I purchased after Christmas for over 30% off ($250) and then decided to throw my money at an amplifier. I ended up going over the end of my "budget".
Asgard 2: $250
Uberfrost: $500(open-box brand new via Ebay)
DT880 recabled(MSRP+cable): $500
Now, I'm perfectly happy. I can't see how I could find improvements unless I moved to Summit-fi and opted for an LCD-2 or HE-500 and aim for a complimentary "bass" headphone. My DT880s aren't lacking in weight either now that they've been recabled, talk about a "punch" like a closed subwoofer on my head.
you could tube roll with a Lyr, or start building a crqack OTL, or S.E.X or BA22. You gotta get your perspective in order. The order says there is no end and it always can be better.post #3248 of 120618/30/13 at 9:41pm
Looking to upgrade to a Lyr shortly from my Magni to go with my Mad Dogs which I will eventually upgrade to Alpha Dogs when Dan makes the option available.
Tell me this head-fi, is it worth it to upgrade my Modi ---> Bifrost? I do all my listening via computer. Has anyone switched out a modi for the bifrost in a lyr setup and noticed a huge difference?post #3249 of 120618/30/13 at 9:44pm
I owned the HT Halo Claro. I thought too it would be impossible to have better sound. A friend lent me a Meridian USB DAC. I was blown away by the sound. The improvement is not minor. I then purchased a Gungnir and in the meantime I got the Asgard2. Wow am I amazed at the sound quality. I am glad my friend brought over the Meridian. I realized how bad a PCI sound card really is.post #3250 of 120618/30/13 at 9:54pm
I difference should be noticeable. I compared a Modi to the Gungnir and there is no contest. I am using DT990 headphones just in case someone would like to know. The Modi uses an opamp for the output gain stage. Opamps are inferior to discreet components that are used in the Bifrost and Gungnir.post #3251 of 120618/30/13 at 10:02pmpost #3252 of 120618/30/13 at 11:22pmQuote:Originally Posted by Erukian
When is it trolling? He was responding to a specific question about whether it's worth it to pay extra for cables.
This is just my two cents, but it seems like anytime someone expresses their opinion about cables on here where they're a non-believer they're automatically trolling. If they're a cable believer they're seen as sharing their experiences because cables are SO subjective nobody will tell them they're full of BS. Aren't double standards fun?
No, it takes a trained ear to hear. Some care to take this path, others don't. That is the end of the argument.post #3253 of 120619/1/13 at 12:29amQuote:Originally Posted by bigjohn1
I know it is not a normal part of your operation, and you focus on the amazing technology and products that we all love, but how about making available for purchase some Schiit swag (i.e. t-shirts, hats, etc.)
I, for one, would love to be a walking bill board for your products to show my loyalty and happiness with your products. (and by walking billboard, I mean a 6'4", 50" chest walking around Dallas with a Schiit logo on a shirt would be exactly that)
Please make sure to produce some in XXXX for me lolpost #3254 of 120619/1/13 at 12:31ampost #3255 of 120619/1/13 at 12:48amQuote:Originally Posted by jmsaxon69
This whole price doesn't equal performance is such crap or all of you would own Magni/Modi and that would be it. It's not a way to negate "bang for the buck", there are some good sounding cheap stuff out there, does the stuff that costs 2 or 3 times more sound better? Most of the time it sure does, of course SOMETIMES it doesn't, but rarely.
The cable thing still baffles me as well, but I guess if you can't hear it then don't spend the money. How can so many idiot audiophiles just want to blow large amounts of money on cables if they make no difference? How can these companies like AudioQuest and Kimber Kable still be around?
The excuses are lame. Actually buy a good $200 to $500 interconnect and listen to it for a month and then hook up what you were using and let me know what you hear......
Listen to what you are saying "We are proud to be ignorant" Really? Is that what you want to be?
My friend, I am not professing ignorance, nor do I wish that upon others. I was simply stating there are many reasons why people do the things they do. Some people are stubborn, but I suppose it is their choice to be stubborn. Some people are stuck in their particular situation in life, and so their choices are limited. Some people choose to be frugal. Why should that upset anyone else?
For those who are unable, it isn't their choice. For those who are unwilling, perhaps it is their choice, and perhaps not. I just don't see the purpose in being mad at them. Perhaps it is the case that they don't realize that they are unable or unwilling, and so argue their positions in that way. All that anger will do to someone in that state is to further solidify their positions.
I am also not advocating relative truth. Facts are facts. But many things in this hobby depend upon perceptions, and those perceptions may change. It is a mistake to argue over perceptions, as if they were facts.
So, yeah. I own a M+M stack, and I really like it. Do I think it's endgame? No. It's what I can afford for now. I will not trouble you with the events in my life that cause me to spend a whole lot more than an M+M stack on my ex wife or kids, but I have priorities. Would you get mad at me for having priorities? Gosh, I hope not.
- Schiit Owners Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Seiun player, $150 player with monster spec. Too good to be true? 5 seconds ago
- › Vintage Headroom Goodness! Micro Desktop + PS & Original Cosmic w/... 31 seconds ago
- › Breaking News: HE1000 V2 1 minute ago
- › Feliks Audio Elise Impressions Thread – a New Start (please read... 2 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers ETHER Flow and ETHER C Flow -- Inspired by Electrostatic... 2 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Vinyl Problem 3 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3 : The Portable Planar - Impressions 9 minutes ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 10 minutes ago
- › CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE 10 minutes ago
- › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black) by harry501501
- › RHA MA750i by meetpatel3686
- › ORIVETI PRIMACY - Whole Aluminium Body, Triple Drivers Hybrid 2... by ustinj
- › Audio-Technica ATH-CK10 Portable In-Ear Headphones by mrstrangeguy
- › Focal Utopia by x RELIC x
- › Campfire Audio Nova by Brooko
- › Flare Audio R1 Headphones by Mr Vicarious
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by greencalx
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...