- 176 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- brandSchiittagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by redmaw, 2/5/13
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Mjolnirtagged by redmaw, 2/5/13
- productSchiit Valhallatagged by System, 5/24/12
Related Forum Threads
- Looking for help with deciding on an amp, plus some DAC confusion. Last post on 6/11/12 at 5:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- AMP/DAC for LCD-2 Last post on 6/20/13 at 7:36pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Schiit LYR + LCD-2 Last post on 1/9/14 at 1:02am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Audeze LCD-2 Best Amp Last post on 1/30/14 at 9:13am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
2013 Head-Fi Summer Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 7/26/13
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)Last edited: 1/22/14
- 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio)Last edited: 12/10/13
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I bought these cans 2 years ago and sold them to get the ATH-M50, which then lead me into the audio world. Overall these are good portable headphones with great build quality. The sound, however,...
The Sennheiser Momentum On Ear is bursting with goodness. Nice looks, sound, and great value to go with it. Now, Let's go straight into it! These look so phenomenal, with all that alcantara...
The Sennheiser PX 360 headphones look good, and are very comfortable, at least to me, but the earcups fit just nicely over my ears. Any smaller and I would not be able to fit these over my ears....
Bass response doesn't bleed to the vocals or any other frequency whatsoever, thin lightweight cable with no microphonics and small plug to connect to portable devices. Some people called...
I don't consider them nice or even fun but everytime I'm working out I feel like I made a great investment. Going out with my Westone 4R or my customs make me feel paranoid to some extend. The...
Schiit Owners Unite - Page 181post #2701 of 50776/26/13 at 7:40amSo since I'm not getting the Gungir, I won't know on the Bifrost Uber?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2702 of 50776/26/13 at 7:54amThread Starter
Jitter gets blow out of proportion. Yes, it's real. It can be measured. But, most people will never hear it. Also, many audiophiles consider vinyl records to be the best sounding recordings. There's no physical way that even the best LP players can spin the record at constant velocity, so there will be variations in the sound. Can we hear that? Maybe. Maybe not. But, that's the analog equivalent of jitter. No one seems to be too worried about that. I certainly don't care too much about jitter. I trust my moderately-priced DAC takes care of as much jitter as possible.post #2703 of 50776/26/13 at 8:21amQuote:Originally Posted by hodgjy
Jitter gets blow out of proportion. Yes, it's real. It can be measured. But, most people will never hear it. Also, many audiophiles consider vinyl records to be the best sounding recordings. There's no physical way that even the best LP players can spin the record at constant velocity, so there will be variations in the sound. Can we hear that? Maybe. Maybe not. But, that's the analog equivalent of jitter. No one seems to be too worried about that. I certainly don't care too much about jitter. I trust my moderately-priced DAC takes care of as much jitter as possible.
that was great info. I've been driving myself up the wall thinking about a need to upgrade my DAC (to be read as spend more). Your point is hence well taken. Sometimes a poor recording is a poor recording period and my mind plays games like "...if only I have a better DAC, a balanced DAC etc etc ". I suppose the Bifrost is a good enough DAC to take care of most of the perceptibly-imperceptible jitter.post #2704 of 50776/26/13 at 8:57amQuote:
If you're even considering balanced in the future, I'd say go for gungnir. If you find one used, it will only be marginally more pricey than a new bifrost uber. Although to be fair, I haven't heard the bifrost uber... but I have done A/B comparison between bifrost and gungnir feeding into the same amp and the gungnir was a the clear winner.post #2705 of 50776/26/13 at 9:12pm
So can anyone tell me if a Mini Toslink connector will fit in and work with a dual SPDIF 3.5mm headphone jack, or do I need some kind of adapter? I need to know before I order the cable on Amazon just so I dont have to go through a return process.
Also is there an audible difference between glass and plastic toslink cables?post #2706 of 50776/26/13 at 9:20pmQuote:
Yes, they work great, at least on my macbook pro.Quote:
Debatable, especially with digital cables.
I would side with plastic because afaik, the spec was designed for a single piece of plastic, not for running the optical signal down a bunch of strands of thin glass. I haven't seen any proof that glass is better.post #2707 of 50776/26/13 at 9:23pmpost #2708 of 50776/27/13 at 4:58amThread Starter
Bo knows DACs now, too?post #2709 of 50776/27/13 at 2:41pmpost #2710 of 50776/28/13 at 2:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Aaron94
Hoping someone here can help me.
Awhile ago I made a thread asking about how I would connect a Bifrost to my laptop, and I got a few answers that I thought were correct, but now Im realizing they werent. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will be getting an Asgard 2/Bifrost stack to be used with my laptop. Now on the side of my laptop, just above the headphone jack, there is a label that says S/PDIF. Now to my understanding that is a digital output, one that can be used with the Bifrost. But what I dont understand is how I would do that, when I made the thread awhile back someone suggested me a Toslink to Mini Toslink cable, but now that Ive looked at it Ive found at that not only will the optical not work here, but the Mini Toslink is not a 3.5mm jack.
So does anyone know of a cable I could use to connect this laptop to the Bifrost, something like a Digital Coaxial to 3.5mm cable? I really need and appreciate any help give.
If it helps my laptop is an Asus N56VJ-DH71.
I could not find the exact user manual on the Asus website, but I found one similar...
What strikes me about this particular setup, is that somehow the Asus laptop detects whether the 3.5mm jack is being used for powering headphones, or connecting to an S/PDIF input? I suppose I would question how well that setup really works. I know Asus is a darn good company, I own their products and am pleased with them. I'm just a little curious about a dual use jack like that, especially one that gives you both an analog output, and a digital output, and manages to figure that out by itself.
I guess the only reason you're doing this is so you don't spend the extra $100 for the USB port option on your Bifrost? That would just let you plug into a USB port and not have to worry about the dual use headphone jack. I also wonder if you're losing any audio quality by virtue of this setup. It is unclear to me if you're getting the same kind of digital signal over this jack that you'd otherwise get with the USB setup.
I donno, but if it were me, and I was spending this kind of money on quality gear, I'd pop for the USB port option on the Bifrost. Just sayin'.
Edited by UmustBKidn - 6/28/13 at 2:15ampost #2711 of 50776/28/13 at 10:43amFor what it's worth the 1/8" output jack on all the MacBook Pros are also dual-use - both stereo analog and digital optical output.
It seems to work. Cheers.
As you probably know, the typical plug has the signal on the outside metal surface of the entire shaft and tip, while optical has a single "light beam" right down the center core, not even utilizing the surface.
Ha, kind of makes me wonder whether there are cables that do both!post #2712 of 50776/28/13 at 6:14pm
Well I just stepped into the Schiit now. I pulled the trigger on a M&M combo for a new desktop system I am building. Can't wait to hear how they sound. Wanted a very low cost, low profile system that can deliver some punch.
post #2713 of 50776/28/13 at 6:32pmpost #2714 of 50776/28/13 at 9:46pm
- Schiit Owners Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 8 seconds ago
- › Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone! 14 seconds ago
- › The discovery thread.! NEW Zero Audio Doppios! pg1197 !!.KEF... 39 seconds ago
- › Schiit Lyr Tube Rollers 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 4/17/2014: AKG... 1 minute ago
- › The Xiaomi Pistons Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Request for buying a hearphone 3 minutes ago
- › Yamaha EPH-100 3 minutes ago
- › SOL Republic Tracks HD by xkonfuzed
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by TripBitShooter
- › Sennheiser PX 360 Collapsible Wired Headphone with Clear Natural... by TripBitShooter
- › Westone 4R with Removable Cables by squallkiercosa
- › Shure SE215 by squallkiercosa
- › Ultimate Ears Triple.fi 10 Pro Earphones Gun Metal Blue with Roadie... by squallkiercosa
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by LaPierre
- › Noble Audio FR by HideousPride
- › Beyerdynamic DX 160 iE by AManAnd88Keys
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by QyababAM
- › Westone latest universal iem flagship was the... by majedelamine
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob