- 230 Posts. Joined 12/2012
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAKG K 702 Blacktagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
- categoryDACstagged by System, 5/24/12
- categoryHeadphone Amplifierstagged by System, 5/24/12
- brandSchiittagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Asgard Headphone Amplifiertagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Audio Bifrost DACtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSchiit Gungnirtagged by redmaw, 2/5/13
- productSchiit Lyrtagged by System, 5/24/12
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 10/30/14
Related Forum Threads
- Amps for HD600, DT880(250), SR325iS, K550 Last post on 8/27/12 at 10:04pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Amp and DAC for HE-400s Last post on 8/10/12 at 10:22pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Looking for help with deciding on an amp, plus some DAC confusion. Last post on 6/11/12 at 5:21pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Just purchased Schiit Lyr and Bifrost! Last post on 1/10/14 at 8:19am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- So many threads, yet still undecisive (akg k702 amps) Last post on 4/26/11 at 1:53pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Acknowledgment Thanks to @Tony-Hifi of HiFi headphones for making me review this desktop DAC/Amp as a favour. I love reviewing loaners, but it’s always sad to package and send them off...
Hi Head-Fi/Vibro Labs fans, I was the second stop on the Aria tour, and I've had a great week reviewing them. This post will contain some of my thoughts and impressions, and I'll be touching on...
Ok I have been using a pair of these for several years. I logged on because there are way too many positive reviews of these things. Firstly: everything I mix on these is significantly...
Never thought this day would come but I guess blunders are inevitable. There is no denying the Beyerdynamic T5p is one attractive looking Headphone, I think it's among the most beautiful and...
I didn't have much expectations when i ordered this headphone from GearBest back in january 2016..it took around 3 weeks to arrive and the packaging was simple. The moment i unpacked the box i got...
Schiit Owners Unite - Page 181post #2701 of 119816/26/13 at 7:40amSo since I'm not getting the Gungir, I won't know on the Bifrost Uber?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2702 of 119816/26/13 at 7:54amThread Starter
Jitter gets blow out of proportion. Yes, it's real. It can be measured. But, most people will never hear it. Also, many audiophiles consider vinyl records to be the best sounding recordings. There's no physical way that even the best LP players can spin the record at constant velocity, so there will be variations in the sound. Can we hear that? Maybe. Maybe not. But, that's the analog equivalent of jitter. No one seems to be too worried about that. I certainly don't care too much about jitter. I trust my moderately-priced DAC takes care of as much jitter as possible.post #2703 of 119816/26/13 at 8:21amQuote:Originally Posted by hodgjy
Jitter gets blow out of proportion. Yes, it's real. It can be measured. But, most people will never hear it. Also, many audiophiles consider vinyl records to be the best sounding recordings. There's no physical way that even the best LP players can spin the record at constant velocity, so there will be variations in the sound. Can we hear that? Maybe. Maybe not. But, that's the analog equivalent of jitter. No one seems to be too worried about that. I certainly don't care too much about jitter. I trust my moderately-priced DAC takes care of as much jitter as possible.
that was great info. I've been driving myself up the wall thinking about a need to upgrade my DAC (to be read as spend more). Your point is hence well taken. Sometimes a poor recording is a poor recording period and my mind plays games like "...if only I have a better DAC, a balanced DAC etc etc ". I suppose the Bifrost is a good enough DAC to take care of most of the perceptibly-imperceptible jitter.post #2704 of 119816/26/13 at 8:57amQuote:
If you're even considering balanced in the future, I'd say go for gungnir. If you find one used, it will only be marginally more pricey than a new bifrost uber. Although to be fair, I haven't heard the bifrost uber... but I have done A/B comparison between bifrost and gungnir feeding into the same amp and the gungnir was a the clear winner.post #2705 of 119816/26/13 at 9:12pm
So can anyone tell me if a Mini Toslink connector will fit in and work with a dual SPDIF 3.5mm headphone jack, or do I need some kind of adapter? I need to know before I order the cable on Amazon just so I dont have to go through a return process.
Also is there an audible difference between glass and plastic toslink cables?post #2706 of 119816/26/13 at 9:20pmQuote:
Yes, they work great, at least on my macbook pro.Quote:
Debatable, especially with digital cables.
I would side with plastic because afaik, the spec was designed for a single piece of plastic, not for running the optical signal down a bunch of strands of thin glass. I haven't seen any proof that glass is better.post #2707 of 119816/26/13 at 9:23pmpost #2708 of 119816/27/13 at 4:58amThread Starter
Bo knows DACs now, too?post #2709 of 119816/27/13 at 2:41pmpost #2710 of 119816/28/13 at 2:07amQuote:Originally Posted by Aaron94
Hoping someone here can help me.
Awhile ago I made a thread asking about how I would connect a Bifrost to my laptop, and I got a few answers that I thought were correct, but now Im realizing they werent. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will be getting an Asgard 2/Bifrost stack to be used with my laptop. Now on the side of my laptop, just above the headphone jack, there is a label that says S/PDIF. Now to my understanding that is a digital output, one that can be used with the Bifrost. But what I dont understand is how I would do that, when I made the thread awhile back someone suggested me a Toslink to Mini Toslink cable, but now that Ive looked at it Ive found at that not only will the optical not work here, but the Mini Toslink is not a 3.5mm jack.
So does anyone know of a cable I could use to connect this laptop to the Bifrost, something like a Digital Coaxial to 3.5mm cable? I really need and appreciate any help give.
If it helps my laptop is an Asus N56VJ-DH71.
I could not find the exact user manual on the Asus website, but I found one similar...
What strikes me about this particular setup, is that somehow the Asus laptop detects whether the 3.5mm jack is being used for powering headphones, or connecting to an S/PDIF input? I suppose I would question how well that setup really works. I know Asus is a darn good company, I own their products and am pleased with them. I'm just a little curious about a dual use jack like that, especially one that gives you both an analog output, and a digital output, and manages to figure that out by itself.
I guess the only reason you're doing this is so you don't spend the extra $100 for the USB port option on your Bifrost? That would just let you plug into a USB port and not have to worry about the dual use headphone jack. I also wonder if you're losing any audio quality by virtue of this setup. It is unclear to me if you're getting the same kind of digital signal over this jack that you'd otherwise get with the USB setup.
I donno, but if it were me, and I was spending this kind of money on quality gear, I'd pop for the USB port option on the Bifrost. Just sayin'.
Edited by UmustBKidn - 6/28/13 at 2:15ampost #2711 of 119816/28/13 at 10:43amFor what it's worth the 1/8" output jack on all the MacBook Pros are also dual-use - both stereo analog and digital optical output.
It seems to work. Cheers.
As you probably know, the typical plug has the signal on the outside metal surface of the entire shaft and tip, while optical has a single "light beam" right down the center core, not even utilizing the surface.
Ha, kind of makes me wonder whether there are cables that do both!post #2712 of 119816/28/13 at 6:14pm
Well I just stepped into the Schiit now. I pulled the trigger on a M&M combo for a new desktop system I am building. Can't wait to hear how they sound. Wanted a very low cost, low profile system that can deliver some punch.
post #2713 of 119816/28/13 at 6:32pmpost #2714 of 119816/28/13 at 9:46pm
- Schiit Owners Unite
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Diy Beginners Guide
- › Campfire Audio - Introducing 2 new models Hello Andromeda and Nova 2 seconds ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Impressions Thread 9 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 1 minute ago
- › Headphone amp question 3 minutes ago
- › Schiit Bifrost Uber 3 minutes ago
- › iPod 3G Compact Flash Mod 8 minutes ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 8 minutes ago
- › New iRiver AK70 9 minutes ago
- › Life after Yggdrasil? 9 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 10 minutes ago
- › Questyle CMA600i "Current Mode Amplification" Headphone... by glassmonkey
- › Vibro Labs Aria quad armature in-ear monitor by Talai
- › Shure SRH840 by haroldtheboss
- › Beyerdynamic T5p by MrTechAgent
- › Xiaomi Piston Colorful Starter Edition by aNtzE
- › Trinity Audio Engineering - PHANTOM SABRE by FUYU
- › Bluedio Vinyl Plus Luxury Wireless Bluetooth Headphones(Black) by mark2410
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by ostewart
- › Philips Fidelio S2 by Jemuillot
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by ryanjsoo
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...