Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 180

post #2686 of 6911

Hoping someone here can help me.

 

Awhile ago I made a thread asking about how I would connect a Bifrost to my laptop, and I got a few answers that I thought were correct, but now Im realizing they werent. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will be getting an Asgard 2/Bifrost stack to be used with my laptop. Now on the side of my laptop, just above the headphone jack, there is a label that says S/PDIF. Now to my understanding that is a digital output, one that can be used with the Bifrost. But what I dont understand is how I would do that, when I made the thread awhile back someone suggested me a Toslink to Mini Toslink cable, but now that Ive looked at it Ive found at that not only will the optical not work here, but the Mini Toslink is not a 3.5mm jack. 

 

So does anyone know of a cable I could use to connect this laptop to the Bifrost, something like a Digital Coaxial to 3.5mm cable? I really need and appreciate any help give.

 

If it helps my laptop is an Asus N56VJ-DH71.

post #2687 of 6911
Thread Starter 

Yes, and no.  If the player has a moderate or low amount of jitter, the DAC will have no problem re-clocking it.  If it has heaps of jitter, the DAC may not be able to re-clock it.

 

But, in the "real world" ear tests, no, the player doesn't matter much.  I've used $30 DVD players as transports and haven't noticed any loss of quality.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexnova View Post

So basically it doesn't matter what kind of player I use then, correct?
 

post #2688 of 6911

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703FOPM15M/AudioQuest-Forest-OptiLink-1-5-meter-5-feet.html?tp=1859

 

I use the Cinnamon version from my MacMini to my Bifrost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron94 View Post

not work here, but the Mini Toslink is not a 3.5mm jack. 

 

So does anyone know of a cable I could use to connect this laptop to the Bifrost, something like a Digital Coaxial to 3.5mm cable? I really need and appreciate any help give.

 

If it helps my laptop is an Asus N56VJ-DH71.


Edited by MickeyVee - 6/25/13 at 7:06pm
post #2689 of 6911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyVee View Post

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_703FOPM15M/AudioQuest-Forest-OptiLink-1-5-meter-5-feet.html?tp=1859

 

I use the Cinnamon version from my MacMini to my Bifrost.

Like I said, I dont think my laptops SPDIF is optical, I see no light coming from the jack at any times, I believe its digital.

post #2690 of 6911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron94 View Post

Hoping someone here can help me.

 

Awhile ago I made a thread asking about how I would connect a Bifrost to my laptop, and I got a few answers that I thought were correct, but now Im realizing they werent. Hopefully within the next few weeks I will be getting an Asgard 2/Bifrost stack to be used with my laptop. Now on the side of my laptop, just above the headphone jack, there is a label that says S/PDIF. Now to my understanding that is a digital output, one that can be used with the Bifrost. But what I dont understand is how I would do that, when I made the thread awhile back someone suggested me a Toslink to Mini Toslink cable, but now that Ive looked at it Ive found at that not only will the optical not work here, but the Mini Toslink is not a 3.5mm jack. 

 

So does anyone know of a cable I could use to connect this laptop to the Bifrost, something like a Digital Coaxial to 3.5mm cable? I really need and appreciate any help give.

 

If it helps my laptop is an Asus N56VJ-DH71.

How about USB then?

 

Or this,

S/PDIF Adapter,3.5mm MONO Plug to RCA Mono Jack Gold Plated

 

 

Or this:

SPDIF-3.5mm to RCA "Custom Series" 75 ohm Belden 1505F Cable, also analog Audio monocable

 

 


Edited by bearFNF - 6/25/13 at 7:19pm
post #2691 of 6911

Took a look at the specs: 1x 1/8" (3.5mm) Headphone Output with shared S/PDIF

I would assume that it's an optical/headphone jack like the Mac Mini.  Only way to know for sure is to try it. Only other option is USB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron94 View Post

Like I said, I dont think my laptops SPDIF is optical, I see no light coming from the jack at any times, I believe its digital.

post #2692 of 6911
I know that with my Mac I can't see the light coming out of the headphone jack either. But when I plug the toslink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron94 View Post

Like I said,aptops SPDIF is optical, I see no light coming from the jack at any times, I believe its digital.
post #2693 of 6911
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearFNF View Post

How about USB then?

 

Or this,

S/PDIF Adapter,3.5mm MONO Plug to RCA Mono Jack Gold Plated

 

 

Or this:

SPDIF-3.5mm to RCA "Custom Series" 75 ohm Belden 1505F Cable, also analog Audio monocable

 

 

Would I be able to use this cable on the bottom with the Bifrosts Digital Coaxial input jack?


Edited by Aaron94 - 6/25/13 at 7:24pm
post #2694 of 6911
Fat fingers on my iPhone ruined my post. Anyway, even though I don't see light coming out of the jack itself, I do see light coming out when I have the toslink hooked up, using the 1/8in adapter.

Also, I know I picked up one of these toslink cables with the adapter from Target a while ago. You could pick one up there and try it out. If it doesn't work just take it back. It's a plus too because you don't have to worry about shipping either
post #2695 of 6911
Quote:
Originally Posted by mangler View Post

Fat fingers on my iPhone ruined my post. Anyway, even though I don't see light coming out of the jack itself, I do see light coming out when I have the toslink hooked up, using the 1/8in adapter.

Also, I know I picked up one of these toslink cables with the adapter from Target a while ago. You could pick one up there and try it out. If it doesn't work just take it back. It's a plus too because you don't have to worry about shipping either

Thanks for the help, Im actually waiting right now to chat with Asus support to see if they can tell me if its a digital or optical output SPDIF.

 

In the mean time, can anyone telling me if my HD558s would benefit from an Asgard 2 + Bifrost, I will most likely be upgrading further along, but for now all I have is the 558s.

post #2696 of 6911

Those first ones were mono.

 

Here one that is stereo from monoprice.com

Metal 3.5mm Stereo Plug to RCA Jack Adaptor - Gold Plated

 

No idea if this will work for you or not as I do not know for sure what your laptop requires...

 

If it does turn out to be optical I have used this one from Amazon:

C2G / Cables to Go 27016 Velocity Toslink-to-Optical Mini Plug Digital Cable-2 Meters


Edited by bearFNF - 6/25/13 at 7:45pm
post #2697 of 6911

Ok, just got done with Asus support.

 

They say that the SPDIF in my laptop is digital, but apon watching a few videos I found that it can also be used optical, or at least Im hoping it can. The videos I watched were not my particular model, but I doubt Asus would put different SPDIF into different models.

 

But what I still need is a Toslink to 3.5mm cable, not Toslink to Mini Toslink, as the Mini Toslink is actually somewhat smaller than a 3.5mm plug. I think I would also like to have a glass optics cable, as Ive heard glass Toslink is much better than plastic. Or would it be better for me to use the Digital Coaxial option with the Bifrost? Only wondering because Ive read about the jitter issues with toslink optical cables.

 

Anyone able to help?


Edited by Aaron94 - 6/25/13 at 8:26pm
post #2698 of 6911

Get a bluejeans cable. The quality is very good and the price as well. 

post #2699 of 6911
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgjy View Post

Yes, and no.  If the player has a moderate or low amount of jitter, the DAC will have no problem re-clocking it.  If it has heaps of jitter, the DAC may not be able to re-clock it.

 

But, in the "real world" ear tests, no, the player doesn't matter much.  I've used $30 DVD players as transports and haven't noticed any loss of quality.

 

 

Thanks for responding to me Jay. So even though I won't notice it in real world ear tests, how else will I know that the DAC is not re-clocking it if my player sends out a lot of jitter?
post #2700 of 6911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexnova View Post

 

Thanks for responding to me Jay. So even though I won't notice it in real world ear tests, how else will I know that the DAC is not re-clocking it if my player sends out a lot of jitter?

From the Gugnir FAQ:

 

 

Ah schiit, more marketing buzzwords. What’s Adapticlock™?
Nontechnically, it’s a way to decrapify the inputs, no matter how craptastic they are. If they are not very crappy, they get maximum decrapification, but even if they’re crappy, they get some decrapification.

 

Now you’re screwing with me!
Just a little. Technically, Adapticlock is the industry’s most advanced jitter-reducing reclocking system. It automatically switches between VCXO and VCO reclocking, depending on the quality of your source. High-quality sources run on the VCXOs, for best jitter performance. Lower-quality sources that deviate from the range of the VCXOs are routed automatically to the VCOs, and an LED on the front panel comes on. We call this the “buy better gear” light.

You’re kidding. Buy better gear?
Yep. Sources that are outside of the industry-standard specified range of clock frequencies probably ain’t so great. However, you’re still getting clock regeneration from the VCOs, but not the better regeneration performance of the VCXOs.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite