Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 140

post #2086 of 6934
Tube amps sound different very mellow without loosing detail I had the a mid prized none tube amp before find tubes never tire you out
post #2087 of 6934

A poster on the headphone recomendation thread described my Lyr and Bifrost Uber as "entry level" and suggested I upgrade it before buying HD800 or LCD-2s. I think I have more invested in wires than in my Schiit stack. I have about $900 in powercords that are not in my sig. Its my Shiit Stack to The Max. 

post #2088 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud W View Post

A poster on the headphone recomendation thread described my Lyr and Bifrost Uber as "entry level" and suggested I upgrade it before buying HD800 or LCD-2s. I think I have more invested in wires than in my Schiit stack. I have about $900 in powercords that are not in my sig. Its my Shiit Stack to The Max. 

 

Would love to know how he quantified the stack as "entry level"?

post #2089 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byronb View Post

 

Would love to know how he quantified the stack as "entry level"?

 

I'd say my Maverick D1 was entry level, beyond that i'd call stuff mid-fi.

post #2090 of 6934

Many musicians use "entry level" audio equipment without complains. Musicians usually are more concerned about their playing rather than nick-pick their audio equipment with the ones I dealt with.  If I wanted a "top flight" hybrid amp with the same power as the Lyr I would get the Liquid Glass by Cavalli Audio. I have heard it personally and it is a great amp. I have several tube amps myself and I will soon compare the Lyr with my Melos pre-amp which uses the same family of tubes that Lyr uses.

post #2091 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post

I heard the audiophile power cable needs to be on the computer to make the most difference. Is that not true?
IMO no, because most computers have (compared to good mid-fi like Schiit) cheesy $1.23 power supplies, so no matter what power you feed it, it's junk. In my case, I'm using a laptop, so when playing music, it's on battery (probably also junk). Then I'm using Shunyata Venoms on the Schiit.

If anyone is using better desktop computers, and has upgraded the power supplies (and power cables), it would be an interesting read.
post #2092 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post


IMO no, because most computers have (compared to good mid-fi like Schiit) cheesy $1.23 power supplies, so no matter what power you feed it, it's junk. In my case, I'm using a laptop, so when playing music, it's on battery (probably also junk). Then I'm using Shunyata Venoms on the Schiit.

If anyone is using better desktop computers, and has upgraded the power supplies (and power cables), it would be an interesting read.

Biggest thing I noticed with the laptop is the charging circuit can cause issues with noise on the line.  Running just on batteries it pretty darn quiet.

 

As far as desktop goes, I built my gaming rig and the fans are loud and add some ambient noise.  Only way around this is to build a liquid cooled silent rig.  But I don't want to go there...yet. very_evil_smiley.gif

 

That's why a good battery powered portable DAP or dedicated music server might be a good move.

post #2093 of 6934

I own an AKG K550 which is known for its impressive treble but its shyness in the bass area.

Would the Bifrost + Lyr combination bring out the bass? Or something like the Asgard 2 would suffice?


Edited by zackzack - 5/11/13 at 5:37pm
post #2094 of 6934

I built my PC to be very quiet with a custom sound proofed case. I also use big heat sinks on the CPU with large fans so that the fan will spin a bit lower and still have good air flow. I use the X series SeaSonic power supply which has one of the lowest DC ripple on the market. I use my Juli@ sound card by ESI in the balanced mode to cut down any electrical interfere being induced on the audio lines and feed to a outboard unit. For computers in general the hardforum.com/ is a good one to go to. There is also the computeraudiophile.com as well

post #2095 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by zackzack View Post

I own an AKG K550 which is known for its impressive treble but its shyness in the bass area.

Would the Bifrost + Lyr combination bring out the bass? Or something like the Asgard 2 would suffice?

You are not going to have a big night and day difference to overcome the perceived lack of bass in the headphones. I use J.River for audio playback on my computer. You can try some equalization in the software to increase the bass as an inexpensive way to boost the bass.

post #2096 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefski View Post


IMO no, because most computers have (compared to good mid-fi like Schiit) cheesy $1.23 power supplies, so no matter what power you feed it, it's junk. In my case, I'm using a laptop, so when playing music, it's on battery (probably also junk). Then I'm using Shunyata Venoms on the Schiit.

If anyone is using better desktop computers, and has upgraded the power supplies (and power cables), it would be an interesting read.

 

If I only have one Shuyata Venom power cable, should it go on the Bifrost DAC or the Lyr amp?

post #2097 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

 

I'd say my Maverick D1 was entry level, beyond that i'd call stuff mid-fi.

I would definitely disagree with the classifying of Schiit as mid-fi.

 

Just because a piece of equipment doesn't have a huge price tag doesn't mean it doesn't provide excellent sound.

 

Designations such as "high end" and "mid-fi" are arbitrary at best and end up being matters of opinion at the end of the day.

post #2098 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post

You are not going to have a big night and day difference to overcome the perceived lack of bass in the headphones. I use J.River for audio playback on my computer. You can try some equalization in the software to increase the bass as an inexpensive way to boost the bass.

 

Pairing K550 with more expensive SS amp doesn't seem to bring out the bass...Let alone a portable amplifier. 

EQ is nice but I want a more defined bass. 


Edited by zackzack - 5/11/13 at 7:07pm
post #2099 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by phototristan View Post

 

If I only have one Shuyata Venom power cable, should it go on the Bifrost DAC or the Lyr amp?

The Bifrost. I have a TG Audio SLVR on my Bifrost, A Shuyata Powersnake on my Lyr and an Element Red Storm on my OPPO.

post #2100 of 6934
Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 View Post

You are not going to have a big night and day difference to overcome the perceived lack of bass in the headphones. I use J.River for audio playback on my computer. You can try some equalization in the software to increase the bass as an inexpensive way to boost the bass.

+1. I own the Bifrost (uber card on the way), the Asgard and the Lyr. The Lyr will add some warmth but you will not get any significant boost to the bass.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite