Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 116

post #1726 of 6905
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikepooters View Post

I think there are some mods around here to lift that terrible Sennheiser veil.


I should have mentioned, I've done all the mods. I ended up putting the foam covering the drivers back because I felt it skewed the low end a bit (also tried panty hoses, but liked them better with the foam; I felt the panty hose phased the sound a tad bit). Removing the small foam pieces from the back of the drivers opened them up quite a bit and I liked them much more after doing so. I also built my own cable and thought the imaging improved a bit (the stock cable isn't bad but it's definitely not the best quality). After all the mods were done, I still felt the mids were a bit scooped. The Valhalla has really made these complete in my book!

post #1727 of 6905

I want my Bifrost! lol,  It's scheduled to arrive Weds(slow Fed Ex!). I will be ordering the Lyr and He-500 in about 2 weeks, it will the longest 2 weeks of my life lol. Can anyone recommend aftermarket cabling for my soon to be purchased cans thanks.


Edited by gerald410 - 3/10/13 at 8:45pm
post #1728 of 6905
Thread Starter 

Don't waste your money on cables.

 

1) There is little difference, if any at all, to be gained from re-cabling.

 

2) The money spent on cables is better suited to buying better headphones or better amps.

 

3) If you could hear the difference between cables, if it's even possible, then why are you buying a $450 amp?  You should be in getting amps in the $thousands and should use the cables as the last fine-tuning mechanism.

 

4) Read up on expectation bias.  It's the reason why audio companies selling cables worth more than their weight in gold exist.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald410 View Post

I want my Bifrost! lol,  It's scheduled to arrive Weds(slow Fed Ex!). I will be ordering the Lyr and He-500 in about 2 weeks, it will the longest 2 weeks of my life lol. Can anyone recommend aftermarket cabling for my soon to be purchased cans thanks.

post #1729 of 6905
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald410 View Post

I want my Bifrost! lol,  It's scheduled to arrive Weds(slow Fed Ex!). I will be ordering the Lyr and He-500 in about 2 weeks, it will the longest 2 weeks of my life lol. Can anyone recommend aftermarket cabling for my soon to be purchased cans thanks.

Not to pile on here, but I always thought HE-500s always had one of the better stock cables out there. Personally, I would not bother with cable changes unless you wanted to go to a balanced config or use speaker taps.
post #1730 of 6905
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post


Not to pile on here, but I always thought HE-500s always had one of the better stock cables out there. Personally, I would not bother with cable changes unless you wanted to go to a balanced config or use speaker taps.

 

Only issue I have with them is that they are stiffer than I would like.  I can also hear them when I turn my head on softer sections of the music (not in the music but as the cables scrape against each other).  Might have to put a sock on them...

 

But I agree max out the amp, source, etc.  before spending anything on the cable.

post #1731 of 6905

I am trying to make this brief, but it is hard! Basically i listen to a wide range of music. Classic, symphonic metal, classic rock such as Genesis and Queen. Also mostly vocal music such as Gordon Lightfoot.  I am mostly interested in a brighter sound with good clarity between the instruments and good vocals. Bass should not be overbearing, but controlled and smooth. From what I have read, the HE-500 seems to be almost perfect. Especially with the high power requirements for that. The biggest problem I am having now with my current headphones is that they require too little power. I have the magni turned to about six o'clock. If I turn it any lower, the sound in the two earpieces becomes unbalanced. Turning it up any is going to be uncomfortable. That is with my HD650. With my Monster Inspirations, I have to turn the volume in iTunes quite a bit lower.

 

The question is what I should do from here:

1) Wait for my order of my Hifiman HE-500s to come in. I ordered them from Head-Direct on Tuesday of last week. They are stuck in Paid, Waiting for shipment. They say they should be shipping in the next couple of days, but I am not that comfortable whether or not that is true.

 

2) Cancel my order and enjoy the HD650 and Monster Inspirations. Order some attenuators to make it easier to use my headsets. Believe or not, the Inspirations are really not bad headphones. The biggest issue is that they become very uncomfortable with louder music due to the pressure created by the music. They are too small and do not enough room to release the pressure

 

3) Cancel my order and wait a month or so. Order some attenuators to make it easier to use my headsets. Then order some Mrspeakers Mad Dog headphones

post #1732 of 6905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystaff View Post

I am trying to make this brief, but it is hard! Basically i listen to a wide range of music. Classic, symphonic metal, classic rock such as Genesis and Queen. Also mostly vocal music such as Gordon Lightfoot.  I am mostly interested in a brighter sound with good clarity between the instruments and good vocals. Bass should not be overbearing, but controlled and smooth. From what I have read, the HE-500 seems to be almost perfect. Especially with the high power requirements for that. The biggest problem I am having now with my current headphones is that they require too little power. I have the magni turned to about six o'clock. If I turn it any lower, the sound in the two earpieces becomes unbalanced. Turning it up any is going to be uncomfortable. That is with my HD650. With my Monster Inspirations, I have to turn the volume in iTunes quite a bit lower.

 

The question is what I should do from here:

1) Wait for my order of my Hifiman HE-500s to come in. I ordered them from Head-Direct on Tuesday of last week. They are stuck in Paid, Waiting for shipment. They say they should be shipping in the next couple of days, but I am not that comfortable whether or not that is true.

 

2) Cancel my order and enjoy the HD650 and Monster Inspirations. Order some attenuators to make it easier to use my headsets. Believe or not, the Inspirations are really not bad headphones. The biggest issue is that they become very uncomfortable with louder music due to the pressure created by the music. They are too small and do not enough room to release the pressure

 

3) Cancel my order and wait a month or so. Order some attenuators to make it easier to use my headsets. Then order some Mrspeakers Mad Dog headphones

Have you auditioned the HE500? I have them and they are, to me, heavier on the bass and it is not crisp, running on the Magni, they are better on the Asgard 2, but not as good as the HD650's or HD800's.

 

I bought attenuattors to help with the Magni volme pot issue (12dB) the recommended ones I saw on another post were about 16dB.

 

This is my experience, YMMV.

post #1733 of 6905

Wish I could try the HE-500s, but nobody around me has them. So I have had to order them based on what I have read. So far, my decision will likely be either 2 or 3 (cancel the HE-500s). I still think I would like them, but I think I have spent enough on things. I like the HD650s more and more as I listen to them. Currently listening to Metallica Death Magnetic and kind of like how they sound. And metal is not my favorite type of music. I like it, but prefer more vocal oriented music. Plus they are just getting more and more comfortable to me. I will decide tonight what to do.


Thanks!

post #1734 of 6905

^^^ Contact Schitt. Your Magni might be defective. You should only have channel imbalance at the lowest levels. Jason just posted about it in the Magni thread. 

 

Also I wouldn't be making any decisions based upon Death Magnetic. It is notorious for being one of the most compressed crappy sounding CDs ever made. 


Edited by Radioking59 - 3/11/13 at 5:29pm
post #1735 of 6905

The Asgard 2 really did wonders for the HD650, lifted most of the veil I was hearing with the Magni.

post #1736 of 6905

I don't think the imbalance is all that dramatic. It only appears up to about 6 oclock on the volume. It is just that the headphones, including the HD650, do not require that much volume. Where it is sounds pretty good with the HD650 with a little turn down on the iTunes. I will though keep an eye on in to see if the imbalance gets any worse like the other poster's did. I don't think so. I have had them for about two or three weeks, and things have not changed. Overall pretty happy with the new HD650. Just want to be able to get rid of having to adjust iTunes, and the attenuators would do that. Or a more power hungry headphone. As far as Death Magnetic, for someone like me, it sounded pretty decent. I am trying to go through every type of genre I listen to even slightly. I am almost 100% likely to cancel the HE-500s. This is a good enough setup for now. 

post #1737 of 6905

I don't know. If you have channel imbalance on the HD 650 it sounds like it is defective to me.  The HD 650 requires more juice than most headphones. If it was just on IEMs then I could see your point. 

post #1738 of 6905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioking59 View Post

I don't know. If you have channel imbalance on the HD 650 it sounds like it is defective to me.  The HD 650 requires more juice than most headphones. If it was just on IEMs then I could see your point. 

Duh.. that's right, I missed that, as I remember it is mostly the IEMs that were having trouble with the imbalance issue at low pot positions.

post #1739 of 6905

Posted a question on that in the other Magni thread.. Now a bit confused, honestly. confused_face_2.gif I still really like my setup and would really miss it if I had to send it off. The HD650 does take more power than my Inspirations, but not enough to really let me stop using the iTunes volume to get everything under control. The issue has not proven, though, enough to make me change my mind on canceling the HE-500s. The Sennheisers plus the Inspirations offer enough variation for now for me. The more I listen to them, the more I like them both. The Inspirations have a bit more bass for the quieter music, the Sennheisers a bit more detail for most music. Like them both. Thanks for your help. 

post #1740 of 6905
I too was interested in HE-500s, but when I heard about the lack of soundstage I decided against them. If I want a warmer, more intimate performance I can just pop in the 6N23P tubes and I suddenly don't care. $40 in tubes vs. $500 or so for headphones I'll use once in a while ... the question answers itself.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite