Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Schiit Owners Unite - Page 114

post #1696 of 6994

I should just keep m y mouth shut!  I'm just making my next pair more expensive!

post #1697 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

 

 

Well, that's still closer to $100 than $500!   tongue.gif  wink.gif

 

I guess I got a better deal on mine than I realized.

 

But  man, they sound awesome!  o2smile.gif


man, right now, I'm burning Valvo red label e88cc.  Love this sound, it's getting better.

post #1698 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post


man, right now, I'm burning Valvo red label e88cc.  Love this sound, it's getting better.

 

 

I'll have to try those, how much are they going for?

 

Why aren't we in the tube rolling thread to talk about this stuff?

post #1699 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

 

 

I'll have to try those, how much are they going for?

 

Why aren't we in the tube rolling thread to talk about this stuff?


I got it for $150, yeah, I can't find someone talking about this tubes. 

post #1700 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

 

 

I'll have to try those, how much are they going for?

 

Why aren't we in the tube rolling thread to talk about this stuff?


I found some stuff relates to valvo red label.

 

Originally Posted by MrScary View Post
 

Updated list 2


Scarys list of the Top 5 and take it for what its worth opinion of tubes to try

1. CCa Siemens & Halske grey plate O Getter -- Very rare, Very expensive 400.00 +
2. CCa Siemens & Halske A Frames --rare, expensive 220.00 +
2. Valvo CCA E88CC 1966-- rare expensive 180.00 +
3. Mullard E88CC 1966-- Can get them from Tubemonger for 120.00
4 Brimar 2492's 60's -- somewhat rare prices can be anywhere between 60.00 and 120.00
5. Valvo Red Label E88CC -- rare around 120.00

3,4,5 are just about a tie


My recommendation for those that have tried the JJ's and the GE's from Schiit is to realize your budget and stick with it. These recommendations are just my opinion on rolling many tubes
there are many tubes that I have omitted from this list as they did not either live up to the performance expected or were a bad price performance tube.

  My recommendations for new Lyr users are as follows
1. Mullard E88CC 120.00  Great sound, Airy full bass beautiful mids, warm
2. Brimar 2492's 60.00 -120.00 Great bass good mids good treble
3. Mullard IEC's around 80-100 Great bass great mids good treble
4. GE 6BZ7  20.00 from Schiit your best bet for the GE's
5. RCA 6BZ7, Sylvania 6BZ7, Great bang for the buck only a couple dollars for each tube via ebay

6. National Mullard/ tooling japanese tubes -- 60.00 Tube monger
7. Cryoset 6N23P's --  80.00 from Cryoset
8. 6N1p's 70's or older -- 20.00 -40.00 ebay or preferably a tube trader

post #1701 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmahler2u View Post


I found some stuff relates to valvo red label.

 

Originally Posted by MrScary View Post
 

Updated list 2


Scarys list of the Top 5 and take it for what its worth opinion of tubes to try

1. CCa Siemens & Halske grey plate O Getter -- Very rare, Very expensive 400.00 +
2. CCa Siemens & Halske A Frames --rare, expensive 220.00 +
2. Valvo CCA E88CC 1966-- rare expensive 180.00 +
3. Mullard E88CC 1966-- Can get them from Tubemonger for 120.00
4 Brimar 2492's 60's -- somewhat rare prices can be anywhere between 60.00 and 120.00
5. Valvo Red Label E88CC -- rare around 120.00

3,4,5 are just about a tie


My recommendation for those that have tried the JJ's and the GE's from Schiit is to realize your budget and stick with it. These recommendations are just my opinion on rolling many tubes
there are many tubes that I have omitted from this list as they did not either live up to the performance expected or were a bad price performance tube.

  My recommendations for new Lyr users are as follows
1. Mullard E88CC 120.00  Great sound, Airy full bass beautiful mids, warm
2. Brimar 2492's 60.00 -120.00 Great bass good mids good treble
3. Mullard IEC's around 80-100 Great bass great mids good treble
4. GE 6BZ7  20.00 from Schiit your best bet for the GE's
5. RCA 6BZ7, Sylvania 6BZ7, Great bang for the buck only a couple dollars for each tube via ebay

6. National Mullard/ tooling japanese tubes -- 60.00 Tube monger
7. Cryoset 6N23P's --  80.00 from Cryoset
8. 6N1p's 70's or older -- 20.00 -40.00 ebay or preferably a tube trader

 

 

Yeah, MrScary's list is handy, but don't forget Joe's list, that predates MrScary's by a long while!

 

http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

post #1702 of 6994

Hey, if you are looking @ USN-CEP don't forget you can use amperex 7308s USN-CEP instead of the 6922, much easier to find and the price is usually a little lower.   I actually think the 7308 is a little more holographic than the 6922, maybe a hair less dynamic, but it has staging and imaging covered.

post #1703 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by toschek View Post

Hey, if you are looking @ USN-CEP don't forget you can use amperex 7308s USN-CEP instead of the 6922, much easier to find and the price is usually a little lower.   I actually think the 7308 is a little more holographic than the 6922, maybe a hair less dynamic, but it has staging and imaging covered.

 

 

Awesome!  Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

post #1704 of 6994
Any idea how the Lyr would do feeding a Hafler power amp? My friend has a nice DH-220 which I've enjoyed with his Wharfdales, considering picking one of these up for $100 while I wait for the statement.
post #1705 of 6994

I've had a Hafler Power amp previously, but I cant recall the model number.  I do know that Hafler made AWESOME solid state amps!

 

At that price, can't you afford to gamble?
 

post #1706 of 6994

I hate all you guys lol, Seriously my Bifrost has tracking info and I will be ordering the Lyr and HE-500 in about 2 weeks.:)  I'm trying to absorb as information as possible( great place to learn). What would be the best choice of stock tubes with the Lyr? Thanks


Edited by gerald410 - 3/7/13 at 11:02pm
post #1707 of 6994

GE's no question.

post #1708 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxper View Post

GE's no question.

Thank you sir:)

post #1709 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald410 View Post

I hate all you guys lol, Seriously my Bifrost has tracking info and I will be ordering the Lyr and HE-500 in about 2 weeks.:)  I'm trying to absorb as information as possible( great place to learn). What would be the best choice of stock tubes with the Lyr? Thanks

 

 

Definitely get the GE 6BZ7s, they're really good!  in fact, once they burn in (which can take some time, give them at least 50 hours) I could see myself using them indefinitely, if I didn't already have tubes waiting to try.

 

The Lyr tube rolling thread is a WEALTH of information.  Be sure to check it out.

post #1710 of 6994
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelamvr6 View Post

 

 

Definitely get the GE 6BZ7s, they're really good!  in fact, once they burn in (which can take some time, give them at least 50 hours) I could see myself using them indefinitely, if I didn't already have tubes waiting to try.

 

The Lyr tube rolling thread is a WEALTH of information.  Be sure to check it out.

Thanks for the info, I've done quite a bit of reading in that thread very very informative thanks again.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › Schiit Owners Unite